• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 10:33 AM

The USPS has announced implementing new postage rates starting January 17, 2016. While Domestic Mail services will not see any changes, Domestic and International Mail rates will increase.

Some of the expected USPS rate changes include:

• The First-Class Package weight limit will be increased from 13 to 15.9999 ounces.
  • First-Class Package rates will see an average increase of 12.8%.
  • Priority Mail rates will see an average increase of 9.4%.
  • Priority Mail Express rates will see an average increase of 15.6%.
  • Parcel Select Non-Presort will now be called Parcel Select Ground.
  • Priority Mail Regional Rate Box C will be discontinued

• Cvans, chris m and chieffan have said thanks

#2 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 10:39 AM

I think they've discontinued " delivery confirmation " which I used to use all the time. Now you have to pay for their tracking option. 

• Username and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 10:47 AM

I think they've discontinued " delivery confirmation " which I used to use all the time. Now you have to pay for their tracking option. 

I think it is included in everything except parcel select.

• Cvans and chieffan have said thanks

#4 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 11:11 AM

I think it is included in everything except parcel select.

It is, but I have found it to be the least useful tracker of any shipper I use.

I have, however, recently begun to ship USPS for large packages vs UPS, which was a big change for me.  Their rates have been beating UPS for a 20-40lb package by about $5-10.  The biggest benefit for me, is that USPS picks up packages at my door for no fee.  My poor carrier must hate my address and those flat rate boxes  =]

• Alc, Username, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#5 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 11:43 AM

interesting.  I haven't shipped anything for ages.  But when I did UPS always killed USPS for anything.  Now it seems the tables have turned!

• chieffan said thank you

#6 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 12:13 PM

I personally dis-spize ups... They charge way too much for A really lousy service!! Just the other day I watched the ups driver throw my package 25' to my door!! He's lucky I had my boots off or I would have run out and gave him an ear full, possibly a mouth full too ....of my knuckles... Jerks...

Edited by skyrydr2, January 13, 2016 - 12:15 PM.

• Username and chieffan have said thanks

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 12:41 PM

I am the "Radar" of my company and do all the small package shipping through our UPS account. I get to see our contract price and retail, floors me how much they charge. Bad part is, prices of fuel has dropped greatly, shipping costs have went up...  :loosing_it:

• Username said thank you

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 12:44 PM

I personally dis-spize ups... They charge way too much for A really lousy service!! Just the other day I watched the ups driver throw my package 25' to my door!! He's lucky I had my boots off or I would have run out and gave him an ear full, possibly a mouth full too ....of my knuckles... Jerks...

I agree on their rates being to high.  But you cannot judge all the drivers for the actions of one.  If you didn't complain to UPS right away, was it really that big a deal ? ?  Just asking. 
We have great service and super nice drivers in this area.

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 12:46 PM

It is, but I have found it to be the least useful tracker of any shipper I use.

I have, however, recently begun to ship USPS for large packages vs UPS, which was a big change for me.  Their rates have been beating UPS for a 20-40lb package by about $5-10.  The biggest benefit for me, is that USPS picks up packages at my door for no fee.  My poor carrier must hate my address and those flat rate boxes  =]

Rural carriers get paid extra for each package they handle and I bet the city/town carriers are the same way.  Different weights for different rates.  Most complicated pay system there is.  No wonder they go broke every year.

#10 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,410 Thanks
  • 1,545 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 01:34 PM

I use USPS more than I use UPS, I find them cheaper, and actually easier, I also don't find them complicated at all(I use the online shipping calculator to get an idea the ship the item at a local post office).  For example, I shipped a Farmall C grill to Bloomsburg, PA last year, weighed it on a scale I have here, checked online for a price and also checked UPS who wanted something like $50 to ship it, USPS shipped it for $20.  I don't use the flat rate boxes as I find it's cheaper to use my own box and weigh the package and send it at my local post office.

• Username and Cvans have said thanks

#11 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 02:12 PM

I have shipped items UPS that were over $20 more USPS and that is with a discount with both.Smaller lighter items are generally cheaper with USPS but rates really climb with USPS with an oversize package.My shipping charges are close to 15k a year and regional rate boxes save me close to 35% but I believe you need an account to use the boxes.

I opened up a UPS account as I was going to schedule pickup in which I did for 3 packages in which UPS charged me pickup charges for each individual package in which I cancelled the pickup.USPS picks up for free.

#12 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 03:38 PM

I use USPS more than I use UPS, I find them cheaper, and actually easier, I also don't find them complicated at all(I use the online shipping calculator to get an idea the ship the item at a local post office).  For example, I shipped a Farmall C grill to Bloomsburg, PA last year, weighed it on a scale I have here, checked online for a price and also checked UPS who wanted something like $50 to ship it, USPS shipped it for $20.  I don't use the flat rate boxes as I find it's cheaper to use my own box and weigh the package and send it at my local post office.

I find both company's to be extremely easy to use...but I have a UPS terminal across the road from where I work, and they have a shipping office.  I find both of their online calculators to be darn near spot-on!  UPS is always within $1-$2 of the estimator when I go ahead and ship.  USPS is never an issue because I pull the quote, then print the label right then, and have it picked up from home.  I have never had a problem, and simply use a bathroom scale, and round up to the nearest full pound.

I have NEVER found the same box to ship for more then $15 difference between the two.  A $30 spread doesn't even seem legit.  

Today I was surprised...I shipped a 40" belly grader, 51lbs, and UPS beat USPS by $11.  I shipped UPS.  Likewise, I shipped two, 25# weights in a large USPS flatrate box for $15 yesterday.  Without flat rate, that same shipment is $43, USPS.  Flat rate rocks for tractor parts and weights, but of course, the prices of the weights have gone up since shipping them became reasonable.

I have found more packaging/handling issues with USPS than UPS, and I won't even allow someone to ship something to me using FedEx.  We don't have time for all those horror stories!

One big bonus for USPS...Saturday is a delivery day.  But will that last?   :reading_the_manual:

• Username, Cvans and HANKG have said thanks

#13 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 05:12 PM

I just shipped a 35 lb package 40x32x14 from Pa to Iowa using UPS and cost without my discount would have been $128.39 and with discount was $117.34.Oversize package.

I have had over a $20 spread on 4 or 5 occasions between the UPS and USPS.Any package that I thought may be cheaper using UPS has always been so and has never once been more.Those are generally larger or heavier packages that will not fit in a FRB and or are going long distances.

#14 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,410 Thanks
  • 1,545 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 10:57 PM

USPS was cheaper to ship that grill, UPS's rate may not have been exactly $50 but it was considerably (more than $15) higher, the only thing that I have ever shipped UPS was a RAM mower deck to Maine and that was $50+, I normally ship 3day instead of overnight when using USPS which lowers the price. 

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 07:48 AM

One big bonus for USPS...Saturday is a delivery day.  But will that last?   :reading_the_manual:

We have Sunday delivery  :poke:  :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:

What gets me since I see UPS "negotiated" pricing for my company, I can ship a 1 # box 1 mile down the street. I can ship a 5# box to California.....same price, different weights and box sizes.  :( I guess it's a flat rate thing for us up to a certain poundage no matter where in the US it goes.