OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 08:53 AM

When I'm on a road trip with the HMS Rainmaker I use a laptop for both a GPS and for checking out the forums.

I have a pretty big folder on the home system that has all of my 'GT stuff' on it, and just before a trip I've been copying it to a thumb drive so that I use it on the lappy.

With all the pictures, manuals, and vids, that folder has grown to 17 Gig!  I've been keeping it on my 2nd drive which is a 1 TB Seagate HDD, but just recently copied it to a partition on my system drive which is a 1TB SSD.

I tried to copy it from the SSD to one of my older 2.0 USB flash drives, and even coming from the SSD it took 1HR and 45 Min. to copy.

Since I have a couple of 3.0 USB ports I decided to look for a 3.0 flash drive.

I was pleasantly surprised to see how much the 3.0 USB drives have dropped in price since I last looked at them and I bought two of these puppies:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820226378

Well sir talk about FAST!  Copying that 17 Gb file from the SSD to the 3.0 drive took 9, yes, just 9 minutes :dancingbanana:

So, if any of you guys are copying large files or folders from your system to a flash drive and have 3.0 USB support on your computer I highly recommend them.

Edited by OldBuzzard, January 13, 2016 - 08:54 AM.

• olcowhand, ducky, MH81 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,144 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 09:04 AM

How does one tell what the speed is on a USB port?  I have two open ports on the front of my system.  Been thinking of using 4 GB ScanDisk for backing up my GT files but have seen where the front ports are a lot slower than the back ports.  Have to use a "high Speed"  back USB for my camera transfer.

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,698 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 11:23 AM

How does one tell what the speed is on a USB port?  I have two open ports on the front of my system.  Been thinking of using 4 GB ScanDisk for backing up my GT files but have seen where the front ports are a lot slower than the back ports.  Have to use a "high Speed"  back USB for my camera transfer.

You can look at the port and if it has an "SS" without the quotes then it is a 3.0 port.  A 3.0 device will have a blue tip on the plug in instead of white.  You should also be able to go to the device manager and it is says standard then it is 2.0. A 3.0 will say it's a 3.0.

• ducky, KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,144 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 12:37 PM

OK.  Looks like both of my front ones are the standard type.  My SanDisk has a red tip.  Something different yet?  Don't think either one is big enough for much storage though.  SanDisk is 4 GB and the other one is 256 MGB.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,397 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 03:16 PM

My new Scandisk 32GB has Red inside also!

• chieffan said thank you