10 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 08:36 AM

Looks like you people out East of the Great Lakes are getting a hard shot of winter again.  We have had a blast of cold here but warming trend for a couple days then back to cold again.  Started at 17° F this morning and talking up into the 40's F this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon.  Then Friday back to the cold again through the weekend up till Tuesday.  Getting tired of the cold.  Need some snow for some insulation.

• Traill95, boyscout862, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 08:41 AM

Looks like you people out East of the Great Lakes are getting a hard shot of winter again.  We have had a blast of cold here but warming trend for a couple days then back to cold again.  Started at 17° F this morning and talking up into the 40's F this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon.  Then Friday back to the cold again through the weekend up till Tuesday.  Getting tired of the cold.  Need some snow for some insulation.

South of the great lakes is getting it too. Snow yesterday, 5* this morning with -5* to -10* wind chills. :(  :(

• chieffan said thank you

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 08:42 AM

Yeah, it's 5 degrees here in the greater Pittsburgh area.  We actually got enough snow (around 6") to get some seat time last night but it was getting cold fast and the fire was calling my name.  I managed to get my driveway and my neighbor's cleaned out before supper though.  Now there's no significant snow in sight for a couple more weeks and it's going to warm up again.  Nothing like we've been seeing this winter but still warmer than it should be this time of year.  Strange winter.

• chieffan said thank you

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 09:39 AM

We got about 15'' Monday, then tuesday got another 5'' Supposed to get another 5-10'' before all said and done this week

Got to love lake effect snow!

#5 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 09:39 AM

Started out somewhere south of 10* here in southwest Michigan. Weather underground says its 3.3* my thermometer reads 12* now. Windy and -0* wind chills. They are warning everyone to cover up if going outside because of frostbite in less than 15 minutes.

Be safe, if traveling today.

#6 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 10:01 AM

6* last night with windchill at -11* and windy.I was up around 3:30 to stoke the fire.Woke up and only 2 inches of snow on the ground It was maybe 5 inches but most of it blew away or melted.We had some pretty good winds last night.

We catch the wind that comes down off the mountain.It's still pretty windy this morning.

Another one of those stupid stink bugs just got in the house.Darn things stung the heck out of my tomatoes in the garden.With the orchards so close we get ALOT of the darn things in the house.

Ski resort opened the other day.It's 4 miles from the house.I can see the lights from the front porch.

http://www.blueknob.com/

Edited by EricFromPa, January 13, 2016 - 10:23 AM.

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 10:30 AM

I'm on the eastern end of CT about half way up the boundary. Our weather here is a moderated version of the midwest. Its 26* and we only got 1/4" of snow yesterday. Our total for this season is less than 2". It looks like we are going to have an easy winter. The problem may be that last year looked the same at this time and then a big storm came in on the 20th and we ended up with lots of snow through March.

Be prepared for the future. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, January 13, 2016 - 10:31 AM.

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 12:10 PM

Weather is an unpredictable thing(no matter how hard they try to predicate it)

We got 4" maybe down here in WV, and My wife said there is 5 to 6 at our home in Ohio.

Roads were TERRIBLE yesterday evening.  Drive to work was fine in the AM, I could see black top still, then I went out to check an air compressor around lunch they were still good, not much blacktop showing, but some in spots.  When I left at 4 to head to another mine 10 miles west, 10 miles south the roads were plastered with snow and drifted over pretty deep in some spots.  People coming in at 3 said you couldn't see 20 feet for the blowing snow coming in.   The 20 mile trip usually takes 25 minutes.  It took me just under an hour.  Two lane country road with a speed limit of 55.  People were in the ditches, seen one truck upside down in a field.

Side note of poetic justice.  As I was driving down route 250, I was going probably 30mph taking my time in 2 wheel drive when I see this little Nissan hatch back thing coming flying behind me.  He comes up behind me, slows down a little then nails it, passes me probably going over 50mph, in a double yellow line right before a turn.   He slides around the turn sideways, swings it back around straight, keeps on going about 3 miles later I see his car in the ditch with him standing along side of it kicking it awhile dialing his cell phone.

I stopped beside him and rolled my window down and asked him if he was ok and if he needed a ride into town.  He wouldn't really look at me, just mumbled the tow truck was coming....I don't know why people can't learn not to drive like morons when the roads are snow covered...

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 13, 2016 - 12:10 PM.

#9 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 01:33 PM

Here off the coast of lake michigan we have been getting hit hard!

Edited by 637Yeoman, January 13, 2016 - 01:33 PM.

#10 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,477 Thanks
  • 3,371 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 06:47 PM

Down on Delmarva, it's just been 12° one morning and 66° the next afternoon, up and down, some rain, some wind, thankfully, no snow!

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 07:22 PM

Went out today and brushed my yard and drives with PK.  Not too deep and was light, a little more today and now out of area. Supposed to warm up and FRi and SAT rain!  Then cold again. Hope that isn't bad with ice or such.  I work at GM truck plant in IN and the radiators come from NY area and with bad weather and some real big road pile-up that way, we've been having real late trucks and some cancelled or with other carriers that could make it thru.  We also have the big trans for diesels come from that way, but we have plenty of those in house for now.  Couple more big pile-ups with multiple vehicles, lots of big trucks on INterstates below me, near INdy, but we don't get many parts from that direction.