• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jollygreen OFFLINE  

jollygreen

• Member No: 2269
  • 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 08:21 PM

Guys I can not get this tractor to run right, I have tried to adjust the carb, it will run good for around 15 min. than is start to act up, It idles up than it goes back down and keeps up you can not even move it due to it running so poorly. I am completely dumb founded. I just picked up a dealer service manual at a auction so I think I have it right hopefully. Feel free to call me at 614-554-7737

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 08:47 PM

There are a lot of variables to check. You can start by checking that you have sufficient fuel flow, check and see how much play there is in the throttle shaft, sounds like it is way lean and lacking power. Is it missing at all? Could be a bad coil. Would need a little more detail to help out more. You can also check for intake leaks by using carb cleaner and spraying around the carb(not in the carb) and if the rpms increase then there is an intake leak. You should also checked the governor as well. I don't know the specs for it off the top of my head but any manual for the engine should cover it's settings.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted April 25, 2011 - 01:42 AM

If memory serves, they used a couple of different engine manufacturers.

I had a Briggs on a lawn boy that would do the exact same thing. Darn near wore out the screws in the carb before I decided I had it right.

The problem ended up being a sticky intake valve that only really started to act up after it got hot. Basically shellac on the shaft from the newer gas. Since you are at a kind of impasse, it may not hurt anything to eliminate everything else (also sounds like spark loss: coil, condenser, etc) and then open her up. If you can take the valves out, you may want to check their condition and check the guides too.

Good luck on finding your Gremlin, they can really make you go grey early.

#4 amans54 OFFLINE  

amans54

• Member No: 3169
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 06, 2011 - 02:16 AM

Firstly check out the voltage to the starter and see the turnover is there or not.It may be possible that after some time the throttle ups so that the sensor is not turned off and the fuel pump will be closed.And also check the Clutch pedal position switch" and/or the Neutral start switch" and find out the defective one and if found then replace it with the new one.

#5 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted May 06, 2011 - 05:23 AM

I've had that happen on a S/P push mower before, turned out to be a poorly vented fuel cap. Replaced the cap and problem went away.
  • MH81 said thank you

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted May 06, 2011 - 07:37 AM

Forgot about vacuum problems. Definitely check the tank breather. Had that happen to a friend of mine recently.

#7 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted May 10, 2011 - 10:56 PM

have you ever cleaned your gas tank?
there is a screen on the shut off valve and over time dirt and other junk build up in the tank.
do not use a air compressor to blow out the shut off valve or you will blow off the screen filter in the tank
you should be able to unscrew the shut off valve from the tank

good luck

#8 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted May 11, 2011 - 04:50 AM

Did you adjust the carb when it was warm? My money is on the carb, sticky float or needle or something. Try seafoam first, easiest place to start.