11 replies to this topic

#1 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 05:12 AM

Hello, just wondering what Large frame owners with stone/gravel driveways are running for tire chains?? What type of chains do members think are providing the best traction?  My tractor currently has loaded rear turf tires and 4 suitcase weights on it.  I found out yesterday that weight don't matter at all once you your front tires go off the edge of your drive way and the rear tires are on ice! it definitely needs chains! Sorry Austen, I tried to get action shots, but the only action the HT23 got yesterday was pushing 1 swipe of snow down the driveway and getting stuck! LOL! I do have to say, my Massey Ferguson GC2600 4x4 sub compact had a heck of a time pulling the HT23 back a few feet!  These Large frames are heavy!!

P.S.- I was looking at these---

http://www.ebay.com/...X8AAOSwcBhWXI73

• blackjackjakexxix and propane1 have said thanks

#2 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 05:56 AM

Those are exactly what you want!

#3 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 07:28 AM

Those are excellent chains. I have a set that is unfortunately the 4 link space not the two link space like those, but they do the job. I am using the big 2 stage on my ht20 with a cozy cab, tire chains, wheel weights and about 360lbs in my weight box, I have some suitcase weights headed to me this weekend. My driveway is a decent slope and it handles it quick well for the most part.
  • blackjackjakexxix and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 08:13 AM

The V-Bar chains will give you the best traction, but if you are on fairly flat ground, the standard 2-link chains will work as well as save you a few $$.

The 2-link MEDIUM DUTY set here are the ones I've had on the HT20D for the last couple of years. They work just fine.

http://www.tirechain.com/26X12x12.htm

• LPBolens and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#5 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 08:19 AM

I suggest this place. http://www.tirechain...Tire-Chains.htm, the ones you are looking at are hell on your pavement or asphalt, because that LF will still spin them seems regardless of ballast, I run the rubber tire chains on one of my 23's I leave at M.I.L's because she has concrete and asphalt drive and they work surprisingly quite well. You have to use them on turf tires, they won't stay on ags
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#6 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,039 Thanks
  • 775 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 08:20 AM

I just bought a pair at farm supply for 53.00, nothing fancy, Just chains. They work just fine and the price was right!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 08:40 AM

Those Vbar chains are aggressive, I would not not drive those on any sort of paved surface but I guess in your case they will not be damaging anything since you're on gravel.

I run the standard 2 link chains and weights on my little 850 and I have tons of traction pushing with the blade, I would have imagined a large frame with the same setup would have been unstoppable and would not have required Vbars.

• blackjackjakexxix and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 10:09 AM

We had this same discussion in a thread about a month ago. Chains will make a huge difference.

The ice bars should not really do any damage to a paved surface, except cosmetically. If it does damage the surface wasn't up to a regular highway spec standard. They are great on ice and the possible downside is not significant.

I use car tire chains that I bought for less than $2 per set and then just cut them down to fit the tire. I think that I get better traction with the 4 link spacing of the cross chains(especially in packed snow) but, the regular 2 link spacing gives a nicer ride. Find some old tire chains and try it. Learn the correct way to put chains on also. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, January 13, 2016 - 10:10 AM.

#9 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 11:11 AM

Just like OB, I also use 2-link medium duty chains on my HT23. My driveway has only a very slight slope to it, so I would call it essentially flat. I don't think the v-bar type is necessary on a flat gravel drive, even with ice. I did use 4-link chains in the past and was not all that pleased with them in my application.

#10 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 12:27 PM

I use two link chains on all my equipment and they work great on my gravel driveway. I think any chain is going to work fine for you. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#11 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 12:30 PM

Is hold ad, I run a two link chain on my 1050 with a blade. None v bar style, they work great.

#12 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 01:31 PM

Best kind of chains. they mess up pavement though.