25 replies to this topic

#16 rippinryno ONLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • Member No: 57585
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 01:31 PM

i will double check the compression.  i'm fully aware as to why the thing is running off of starter fluid and not the gas int he carb.  however, you do realize that if i can draw it through the intake which runs directly through the carb into the intake, it should be drawing it out of the carb int he same exact manner, i'm not injecting fuel into the cylinder it's drawing itself into the cylinder just as it would from the carb. This is an upflow carburetor meaning when i spray ether into the intake it's going straight up through the carb just as the fuel in the carb would.  I'm now wondering if this is a spark related issue, i plan to take the motor off the implement tonight and get it ont he bench for a full inspection i'll let everybody nkow. 

Either way it's very wierd that it will run off ether but not off of the gas that's going to the carb.  also i cannot maintain it to run with ether, it will still die if i continue to spray it, then i can pull the starter cord and it will fire back up for 2 seconds again.

Edited by rippinryno, January 13, 2016 - 01:35 PM.

#17 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 922 Thanks
  • 1,215 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 02:45 PM

Either way it's very wierd that it will run off ether but not off of the gas that's going to the carb. also i cannot maintain it to run with ether, it will still die if i continue to spray it, then i can pull the starter cord and it will fire back up for 2 seconds again

strange that it will not continue running on starting fluid maybe loosing spark. should pick back up with a little spray after starting. If you had another coil just for test and make sure gap is set correct.

Edited by jms180, January 13, 2016 - 02:48 PM.

#18 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 05:33 PM

Does it have points and condenser ? If it does it might be the problem .

#19 rippinryno ONLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 09:01 PM

So I cleaned the tank again today and I'm noticing that fuel is not pulling into the carb. I can attach the clear fuel line 1 and when I open the petcock on the gas tank no gas will flow through the line while it is connected to the carb if I disconnected from the car it will flow in pour. It's as though my carb isn't sucking fuel and won't allow to fill

#20 rippinryno ONLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 09:48 AM

it's almost like the fuel can't flow when the gas line is attached.  THis morning I drained the tank.  attached the fuel line to the carb, filled the tank and then opened the petcock, zero gas went into the carb. as soon as i pulled the line off the carb it started flowing.

#21 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,723 Thanks
  • 4,283 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 10:00 AM

Remember, a bowl type carb doesn't suck gas into itself. It has to flow there. If it doesn't, then suspect a blockage in the fitting going into the carb or a problem with the needle and seat. Of course, if the bowl is full there won't be any gas flow either. you can take the main mixture screw out of the bottom and the gas should run out if it has any in the bowl.

#22 rippinryno ONLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 10:08 AM

lol, this is a new carb, there is zero blockage on it, and the old one has been cleaned with no blockage.  fuel is flowing freely while not attached to the carb, as soon as it's attached it's not even running into the hose, meaning it doesnt even get down to the carb attachment nipple.  it's as though it's airlocked as soon as i attach it to the carb and nothing can go through.

#23 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 10:24 AM

Are you running straight line from tank to carb, or is there an inline filter in there. I seen some of the filters act the same way you describe with fuel getting "air locked"

Tank cap vent blocked??

#24 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 922 Thanks
  • 1,215 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 11:09 AM

if it is a gravity flow tank it must be above carburetor. I would try a small tank held up higher than engine.

#25 rippinryno ONLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 12:49 PM

no filter, straight clear fuel line.  it's gravity flow and i've tried to elevate it quite a bit higher but will try this again tonight, all i know is the thing flows fine without it attached the carb and when i attach it, it's just stuck lol.  wierdest thing.

#26 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 01:46 PM

Not weird at all.

Fuel will not flow if the float valve is stuck closed or if the bowl is full.

Just because the aftermarket is new does not mean it is good.  .....It may have a casting flaw, or blockage from machining debris.

It is possible to flood the engine when using starting fluid.  ....Spray once to get the engine running, then as the engine starts to stall, give another spray.  ...You should be able to keep the engine running this way.  ...If not, you have an ignition or compression problem.  ....If you can keep the engine running on starting fluid, then you most likely have a fuel issue.

Try holding your hand over the carb intake while cranking the engine.  ...Do you feel a strong suction?  ...If not, you have a vacuum leak or compression problem.

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, January 14, 2016 - 01:48 PM.

• Bolens 1000, limebuzz and bbuckler have said thanks