25 replies to this topic

#1 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • Member No: 57585
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 08:05 PM

OK guys I picked up a log splitter with an 8 hp Briggs & Stratton motor the horizontal. When I first got it it would fire up with the choke on shortly run and then die. I cleaned the carb and still had the same symptoms although I was able to use the log splitter for about 30 minutes with the choke on. Anyway, I bought a new carb. After installing the new carb I have the exact same problem I put a clear fuel line on there and I can see it flowing to the carb. if I shoot starter fluid in the intake it will fire up and run but shortly after it will die I know the carb was clean because it's brand new. I am pretty handy with small engines however this one has me stumped for this not seem to be a fuel issue although the symptoms are very much like a fuel problem
  • chieffan and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 08:14 PM

How your spark?

• chieffan said thank you

#3 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 08:20 PM

Spark is good every time I check it. And the fact that it'll fire up with starter fluid consistently tells me it's not spark. I replaced plug when I got it. New plug new carb and new fuel line. Fuel flow seems good when I pull line off the carb it pours fine

Edited by rippinryno, January 12, 2016 - 08:57 PM.

• chieffan said thank you

#4 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 10:12 PM

Spark is good every time I check it. And the fact that it'll fire up with starter fluid consistently tells me it's not spark. I replaced plug when I got it. New plug new carb and new fuel line. Fuel flow seems good when I pull line off the carb it pours fine

Problem might be that its getting hot and messing with the spark. I dont know why it messes stuff up but it does.

My simplicity 637 Yeoman runs great. Rebuilt carb. and every thing.

How ever. It dosent have points and condensers. It has some sort of total loss system but no car coil.

Any ways. you can mow with and do what ever you want for as long as you want. but if you shut it off it wont start. So you might be having some sort of heat issue like i have.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 10:15 PM

I'd run a spark tester on it and see if the spark goes intermittent or goes completely many times a spark looks good while out the cylinder but under compression its a whole different story

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#6 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,087 Thanks
  • 1,890 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 10:23 PM

Get a picture of the end of the spark plug.

#7 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 10:33 PM

How's the screen on the fuel line, if it has one?
some tanks have a screen inside that can plug up.
It sound to me that fuel flow is inadequate., but, really, it's only 8 hp, it should take very little.

Could it be temperature related, possibly valves? or vibration in the coil or wire.

Does it have a decent air filter? is the exhaust modified?
  • boyscout862 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#8 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 998 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 10:53 PM

When you replaced the carb did you just buy an exact copy of the carb coming off or did you look the engine up and order by referencing the manual? Sometimes used machines have the wrong parts on them due to bad research or just plain lazy syndrome! Could be a similar but not exactly the right carb or wrong parts used during rebuild, those carb kits can get tricky and look the same just different needles or orifices. Just a thought, good luck!

#9 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 07:56 AM

JUSt to clear up some potential possible issues that I've already tested.  The carb for this older horizontal 8hp briggs was original.  These motors are great and I'm rather familiar with them as I've cleaned several of these carbs.  I ordered a china replacement off ebay for about $20.  I was hoping this would fix my issue as it has in the past.  But again, even with the new carb, i still have the same symptons.  I have run a fuel line directly into the carb off of a funnel and my issue still persists.  The fuel from the tank is flowing properly but i did bypass it with a straight funnel and fuel line in order to eliminate that possibility.  First thing I do on a machine that has "no fuel" symptons is put a clear line in place so that i can see the fuel flowing.  The spark plug wire does appear new, which tells me somebody replaced it in order to address a possible no spark issue.  As stated, the machine will fire up consistantly with ether.  It will not stay running though, it dies when the ether runs out, then i have to spray more in and fire it up again. 

it's getting frustrating, but it's something I'm determined to fix.  I have no interest in buying a motor to replace this seeing as this one has potential to run.  I will likely pull the motor off the machine and do a full maintenance and partial rebuild on it.  It seems i cannot determine the problem and have only been able to make it run steady with the choke on during one sitting and that was with the original carb.

#10 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 10:29 AM

Blown head gasket?

#11 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 927 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 10:53 AM

how is the compression. with choke on it is pulling more fuel and less air. sounds like fuel restriction in the carb or pick up tubes clogged.

#12 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,222 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 12:16 PM

I agree with compression, check that then check the valve seats. I know you say it isn't a fuel problem but have you checked the float, if that it out of adjustment then it will run itself out of gas and take a few minutes to re-fill
Pete

#13 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 12:31 PM

I agree with compression, check that then check the valve seats. I know you say it isn't a fuel problem but have you checked the float, if that it out of adjustment then it will run itself out of gas and take a few minutes to re-fill
Pete

not only have i checked the float, i've checked both floats on both carbs, remember i did put a new carb on this thing.  I'm going to double check compression tonight to see where it is at, however the thing seems to have plenty and will run good and fire right up with fluid.

#14 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 12:34 PM

... that is because you are injecting the fuel instead of it being drawn in from the venturi 

low compression and leaks will cause that

Edited by tater195, January 13, 2016 - 12:35 PM.

• jms180 said thank you

#15 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 927 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 01:16 PM

... that is because you are injecting the fuel instead of it being drawn in from the venturi 
low compression and leaks will cause that

I agree