• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 pappysMF OFFLINE  

pappysMF
  • Member No: 78534
  • 78 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 09:14 PM

Thank you RAJ, that was some great information. I finally got the MF 8 here and noticed many of the items you have mentioned. We debated hacking the 7 grill to make it fit on the 8 but we don't like that idea at all. We thought about exchanging the carb and exhaust but I see they are on opposite sides of the engines so I am not sure that will work.

My son is really torn on what to do with his Pappys grill and hood. He may either end up rebuilding or replacing the H70 and keep it or sell it and recoup some of the money he just put out on the 8.

By the way, his MF 7 is all complete, un hacked, and original. The engine smokes and has a knock. What's it worth? You may just get lucky and find your dream MF 7!! :-)
  • RAJ said thank you

#17 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 11:05 AM

I'd be interested in that opportunity... I usually haunt the Jacobsen forum but maybe it was meant to be that I was nosing around here... Send me a PM with some pictures and we'll see what happens. I'd sooner use it as a full-scale replica than cut it apart.

I came across this yesterday. It also looks pretty straight and original.

http://detroit.craig...5402229785.html

mf7 1.jpg mf7 2.jpg mf7 3.jpg mf7 4.jpg

• pappysMF said thank you

#18 pappysMF OFFLINE  

pappysMF
  • Member No: 78534
  • 78 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 12:12 PM

That looks like a nice machine and at a decent price. I will say mine doesn't have electric start which then means no headlights. Mine also runs good but obviously has some engine issues. That one is also much closer. I will get some pics if you are still interested.
  • RAJ said thank you

#19 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 12:28 PM

I wasn't really implying that I was going after it, and I would still like to see yours. My 7 was also a recoil start model without lights. Doesn't necessarily make it more desirable but if I went after one, I'd want it to be like the one I had. I did always want it to have lights but the kit wasn't available anymore at that time. 20 years later, I am a little more resourceful and could probably figure something out :-) I don't think any of the 7s or 8s I owned had lights. My 7 also had a red instead of black hood nose. It was original, but maybe a factory blooper? I don't think I've seen any others like it...

I also want to ad that I have seen some 7s with an original hood that had the opening above the engine, and that I have seen that the hoods have two different styles of opening. Some are flared, some are cut. It likely makes a difference on production date... My MF8 hydro had a solid mounted engine. I don't know what year it was, but I also had a newer 1974 MF8 gear that had a rubber mounted engine. I'm guessing that may have had something to do with it. Massey might have used MF8 hoods on the later 7s near the end of their production to save on tooling.

Edited by RAJ, January 15, 2016 - 12:32 PM.

• limebuzz said thank you

#20 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 04:49 PM

I started out about 20 years ago collecting little Masseys and I've had several of the 7s and 8s. Just figured I'd throw in my two cents here on some of the things mentioned.

I think foot pegs were only used on the earlier MF7, although the hydrostatic 7 had full foot rests. It may be possible that the later electric start 7 had full footrests as well when the MF8 Hydro replaced the MF7 Hydro.

The H70 Tecumseh engine used in the MF7 is smaller in overall size when compared to the HH80 used in the MF8. Thus, the MF8 had a flared hood to clear the larger blower housing of the 8hp engine. The 8hp engine also uses a different air cleaner and intake, so the grille had a provision to fit the air cleaner. The H70 air cleaner pointed toward the front of the tractor and stayed clear of the grille. Putting the larger engine into an MF7 will cause interference with the hood and grille.

I gather that the H70 engines were not overly durable and were probably not available as a replacement much beyond the production of the tractor. This is why many of the MF7s were repowered with an 8 or 10hp engine. Unfortunately it also meant the hoods and grilles had to be modified. I have seen some pretty hideous hack-jobs to get the larger engine to fit. I would actually consider myself lucky to find an unmolested MF7 with the original engine.

Anyway with those few things in mind, most parts will interchange between a 7 and 8hp gear or 7 and 8hp hydro.

This is the last line of MFs that I owned. I think I had around 5 or 6 other little MFs at one time. The only one I still have is the MF14. My very first was a recoil start 7. I'd like to find one again someday for the sentiment.

attachicon.gifDSCN4640.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN4642.JPG

I have a 1969 Massey 7 that i restored 13 years ago.I bought it at a yard sale for $10.It was in sad shape.It didn't run when i bought it.I was able to get it running but needed a valve job,and was knocking . i checked with my local lawn and garden shop and he said the h70 was no longer available.They did away with that engine because they were under powered. He got me an h80 long block that i transferred all my engine tin to and installed engine with no modifications.I'm thinking they did these modifications later on with maybe the hm80.They also segmented the front of the hood and insulated it for the muffler being on the front of engine exiting by the front axle.They also have the different air cleaner.

#21 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted April 05, 2016 - 09:51 PM

I was not aware they made an H80 that would use the same tin work as the H70. I know the H70 engines had smaller exhaust than the HH80 engines in the MF8. Every MF7 I've seen that was repowered with a bigger engine has been modified to fit.

Sounds like you got a decent deal at $10 though. I paid $250 for the one I had almost 20 years ago. It wasn't in real nice shape but it was my first one and a good one to learn with.