• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 pappysMF ONLINE  

pappysMF
  • Member No: 78534
  • 78 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 10:24 PM

Hey guys, I already have a donor 7 and thinking of picking up a running 8. What parts will fit each tractor (7 & 8) if any? Mainly thinking the mower deck, grill, seat/fender pan, and seat pan. Just at looking at some pics online, I don't think the hood is interchangeable is it?
Thanks in advance!

#2 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 11:43 PM

As far as I see, the the only difference looks like the engine. Most 7's I see look to be gear drive and the 8's hydro. Sheet metal looks the same.

Other than that, the only thing i see is some 7's have running boards and some don't. Probably a year of manufacture difference?

• pappysMF said thank you

#3 pappysMF ONLINE  

pappysMF
  • 78 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 11:49 PM

Thank you!

My 7 has a straight hood where it overhangs the engine on the left side where it looks like the 8 has a type of lip built out over the engine. Maybe one or the other hoods is not original?
  • chris m said thank you

#4 pappysMF ONLINE  

pappysMF
  • 78 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 11:59 PM

I just now received the pictures I requested from the seller. Looks like all the parts I wanted to reuse will not work. I wanted to put the hood and grill from the 7 onto the 8 because they have sentimental value but they appear definitely different. The rear fender pan will not work either, the 7 is gear drive where the 8 is hydro.image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

#5 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 12:00 AM

You are right. I just noticed all the 8's show a lip over the engine shroud on flywheel side. must have been something different with that engine?

#6 pappysMF ONLINE  

pappysMF
  • 78 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 12:01 AM

The first hood pic is the 8, second is the 7. The next pic of the grill is the 8 and the bottom pic is the 7.
  • chris m said thank you

#7 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 12:02 AM

I bet it is a year issue. Even the 8 grill with the air cleaner cut out, not all 8's have that.

• pappysMF said thank you

#8 pappysMF ONLINE  

pappysMF
  • 78 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 12:03 AM

Would the flywheel shroud be different on a non pull start engine which would have forced them to put that lip on the hood maybe?
  • chris m said thank you

#9 pappysMF ONLINE  

pappysMF
  • 78 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 12:06 AM

Interesting to say the least. The seven is my sons tractor and the grill and hood came from his late grandfathers (my dad) pile of parts who passed away recently. My son really wants to keep that grill and hood because of that sentimental value. I wonder if anybody at judging shows would know the difference then if we swopped parts?

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 08:01 AM

Very unlikely they would notice and if they did, the reason for keeping them FAR outweighs anyone else's opinion.

The turn out on that one (if original) is to keep the hood from rattling off/rubbing on the shroud.
  • chris m, jimmy G and pappysMF have said thanks

#11 pappysMF ONLINE  

pappysMF
  • 78 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 09:21 AM

"Very unlikely they would notice and if they did, the reason for keeping them FAR outweighs anyone else's opinion."

I like the way you think, MH81 and my thoughts exactly also! My son will be happy!

Thanks for your input!

Edited by pappysMF, January 12, 2016 - 09:22 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#12 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • Member No: 51516
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 11:13 AM

pappysMF,

Going through some of the same issues on the MF-8 clean up tractor I am supposed to be working on!! Darn family equipment always gets us in trouble! This one is my wife's Grandfathers lawn mower.

I took a good hood from the MF-7 and modified it to fit around the 8 engine on the left side. I cut it, not flared. Now I am not sure how they were from the factory? Guess I have see them both ways.

This was a much better hood and grill on the 7. The MF-7 grill was modified to clear the 8's air cleaner. Some pictures on here.

Good luck with the tractor work. Glad to hear your son is interested in these too.

If I can help let me know.

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker, January 12, 2016 - 11:13 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 01:13 PM

I have an 8 gear drive. It has the bump in the hood. they are a nice little mower with nice tight turning radius and are easy to steer due to the high quality steering linkage and the relatively light weight. They make a nice first tractor for a youngster. 

Oh- I almost forgot- They look fantastic with that miniature BIG MF tractor styling!

• RAJ said thank you

#14 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • Member No: 51516
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 01:18 PM

pappysMF,

We do need some pictures of your project!

Regards,

Chris

• limebuzz said thank you

#15 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 10:21 PM

I started out about 20 years ago collecting little Masseys and I've had several of the 7s and 8s. Just figured I'd throw in my two cents here on some of the things mentioned.

I think foot pegs were only used on the earlier MF7, although the hydrostatic 7 had full foot rests. It may be possible that the later electric start 7 had full footrests as well when the MF8 Hydro replaced the MF7 Hydro.

The H70 Tecumseh engine used in the MF7 is smaller in overall size when compared to the HH80 used in the MF8. Thus, the MF8 had a flared hood to clear the larger blower housing of the 8hp engine. The 8hp engine also uses a different air cleaner and intake, so the grille had a provision to fit the air cleaner. The H70 air cleaner pointed toward the front of the tractor and stayed clear of the grille. Putting the larger engine into an MF7 will cause interference with the hood and grille.

I gather that the H70 engines were not overly durable and were probably not available as a replacement much beyond the production of the tractor. This is why many of the MF7s were repowered with an 8 or 10hp engine. Unfortunately it also meant the hoods and grilles had to be modified. I have seen some pretty hideous hack-jobs to get the larger engine to fit. I would actually consider myself lucky to find an unmolested MF7 with the original engine.

Anyway with those few things in mind, most parts will interchange between a 7 and 8hp gear or 7 and 8hp hydro.

This is the last line of MFs that I owned. I think I had around 5 or 6 other little MFs at one time. The only one I still have is the MF14. My very first was a recoil start 7. I'd like to find one again someday for the sentiment.

DSCN4640.JPG DSCN4642.JPG

• limebuzz, MH81, MFDAC and 3 others have said thanks