#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 08:41 PM

Tore down my PK with 20hp Kohler V-twin engine. I had to pull engine with shaft still bolted up to flywheel, as one bolt which is an allen head, was stripped over-size. Three came out real easy, this one never grabbed and now tool just spins, others didn't fit. So, now will be going out later and using pliers or vice-grips to remove probly.  Is there a reason to use those allens there and not just good old hex head bolts?  I know the allens are dark black, are they actually harder than say a grade 5 or 8 bolt? I'm thinking there is plent of room for the hex heads on that half of the joint mount, have to look for sure. These weren't very big diameter bolts, about 5/16", but kinda long.  I used fraction size allens that fit tight, so not sure yet if should have been metric or is metric on threads.  I was finding both type fasteners being used on tractor, mostly metric on engine and fraction on tractor. So, not sure what these are yet.

Not sure if just easier to build with allens on line or just why they would be used?  They are fine, till they age and rust in like bolts do, and the tools damage them trying to get back out. They have pretty small heads too for size of shanks, wouldn't seem that would be better holding power? Most have washers at head, maybe that is torque spread?

I hate working on old things with allens, phillips head or even just plain slotted head bolts in the bigger bolt sizes, specially the tapered head kind. Very hard to remove when tearing things down.

• boyscout862, chieffan and Paulgo have said thanks

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 08:47 PM

When allen bolts strip and there's no room for vice-grips to get a good bite, I'll take a bolt large enough, then grind a tapered allen into it's end.  Drive the taper tight into the stripped bolt, then back her out.

• Cvans, CRFarnsworth, Bmerf and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,707 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 08:54 PM

When allen bolts strip and there's no room for vice-grips to get a good bite, I'll take a bolt large enough, then grind a tapered allen into it's end.  Drive the taper tight into the stripped bolt, then back her out.

Great idea. I'll have to try and remember this.

• chieffan said thank you

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,101 Thanks
  • 3,194 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 09:02 PM

When allen bolts strip and there's no room for vice-grips to get a good bite, I'll take a bolt large enough, then grind a tapered allen into it's end. Drive the taper tight into the stripped bolt, then back her out.

That's a great idea, thanks.
Noel

#5 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 09:21 PM

I had an allen head exhaust bolt strip out. I ended up using a tool I got at Canadian Tire. It's to remove rounded off hex heads. You put it on and tap it on tight. Then ratchet in reverse to tighten this socket on and removes it. Like a female easy out if you will.  

#6 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 824 Thanks
  • 470 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 09:56 PM

I had an allen head exhaust bolt strip out. I ended up using a tool I got at Canadian Tire. It's to remove rounded off hex heads. You put it on and tap it on tight. Then ratchet in reverse to tighten this socket on and removes it. Like a female easy out if you will.  

Sears sells a stud extractor set.  That would probably do the job.  I believe Harbor Freight also sells one.

A trick I sometimes use is to tap a Torx bit into the stripped head.  That will often give enough bite to break it loose.

• limebuzz said thank you

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 08:31 AM

Muffler shops run into this a lot, not allen but twisted of hex head bolts in header pipe connections. Where you have the head still there, do like olecowhand said but tack a weld to the bolt and allen head.

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,295 Thanks
  • 4,654 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 08:38 AM

Fire wrenches make quick work of them!  Remove the drive shaft and remove the threads with pliers!

#9 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 09:21 AM

Make sure there is no crud in the bottom of the hole and find a torx bit that it just a little larger than the allen hex and tap it in. The hammering from getting the torx set will help loosen the threads. If that doesnt work, drill the head off. 

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 07:26 PM

Some good ideas here, not sure when be out to work on it again. Maybe this Sat, supposed to be quite warm, might be more in mood, ha!

• limebuzz said thank you