12 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 08:22 PM

Ever since I got this computer with W7 I have not been able to save any web site bookmarks where I want them.  It always goes to some foreign land & have no idea where it is. 

Why can I not save a web site book mark in the folder where it belongs?  Example;  orangetractortalks.com I want saved in the folder named "Kubota"  under C drive.  That is not an option in W 7 it seems.  Just one more reason I wish I had XP back.

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 11:20 AM

It has nothing to do with Windows 7.  What browser are you using?  In FF it's kind of a two step process.  I click on the Bookmark this page then click it again and a dialog box appears.  You can choose what folder to put the bookmark in on this dialog box.

• chieffan said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,641 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 11:37 AM

It has nothing to do with Windows 7.  What browser are you using?  In FF it's kind of a two step process.  I click on the Bookmark this page then click it again and a dialog box appears.  You can choose what folder to put the bookmark in on this dialog box.

It's the same way using Chrome.

• HDWildBill, sodisr and chieffan have said thanks

#4 JiminRI OFFLINE  

JiminRI
  • Member No: 62914
  • 65 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 05:45 PM

It is basically the same in Explorer. All the bookmarks are saved in a Favorites folder under your User ID - under Favorites you can create named folders, such as Kubota and store the bookmarks. You are not storing the bookmarks in the same folder as files that you created on the C: drive for other files.

So all your Favorites are stored in Computer > Local Disk © > Users > YourUserName > Favorites

So step by step once you are at a website and want to save a bookmark in Explorer:

• Select the "star" in the upper right.
  • In the resulting pull-down - select "Add to Favorites"
  • If you have already created the folder in which you want to store the bookmark, select it in the "Create In" pull-down and select "Add" to add the bookmark to the indicated folder.
  • If you want to create a new folder to save the bookmark in, select the "New Folder" button and enter the new folder name - note that you can select the folder in which to add the new folder in the same pop-up box - then select "Create" to create the folder, then select "Add" to add the website to the created folder.

I hope this helps,

Jim

• chieffan said thank you

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,641 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 06:12 PM

What I like about Chrome is your favorites are stored in "the cloud".  If my hard drive crashes, once I get it fixed, I simply sign into Chrome, and all my faves are there.  Might be the same with other platforms.

• HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 08:44 PM

What I like about Chrome is your favorites are stored in "the cloud".  If my hard drive crashes, once I get it fixed, I simply sign into Chrome, and all my faves are there.  Might be the same with other platforms.

FF will do the same thing.  Another benefit is if you have more then one computer and want the browser in sync then storing the bookmarks in the cloud will sync them all.

• olcowhand and chieffan have said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 06:51 PM

OK,  I think I have it figured out now.  New version of FF is what made me think it was W7.  I think I have found where it has been putting all of them and how to access that too.  Thanks for the advise.  Running a computer is just like the weather.  Changes at the drop of a hat.

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 08:28 PM

I thought  "the cloud" would be a good deal too - until they wanted $10 a month to keep my information.  Dropped that like a not potato.  So much for their "FREE" ad.  I have had two hard drives go down in the last 20 years.  both time the tech got 95% of the information back and transferred to a new drive.  Nothing I have on here is a life or death thing anyway so the clouds can go fly with the birds.

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 04:12 PM

I must have a different version of FF than what your using.  I click on "Bookmark This Page".  A window drop down which says Choose.  I have 4 choices, IE, Bookmarks toolbar, Menu, Unsorted Bookmarks.  Most of them are in random order under "bookmarks" from the top of the screen.  I guess they just keep stacking up in that location.

#10 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 05:37 PM

I must have a different version of FF than what your using.  I click on "Bookmark This Page".  A window drop down which says Choose.  I have 4 choices, IE, Bookmarks toolbar, Menu, Unsorted Bookmarks.  Most of them are in random order under "bookmarks" from the top of the screen.  I guess they just keep stacking up in that location.

https://support.mozi...tslug=Bookmarks

• ducky and KennyP have said thanks

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,488 Thanks
  • 5,015 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 05:41 PM

What I like about Chrome is your favorites are stored in "the cloud".

I wish they would have done this when I had the airplane. Getting the info out of there now is a real bugger. How do you guys do it?  :hitting_self_roller:

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 06:54 PM

Start making folders in the Unsorted Bookmarks! Then it will ask where you want to save them!

#13 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted February 09, 2016 - 07:23 PM

Thanks Bill

I was going to try to do it with screen shots.