92 replies to this topic

#91 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 11:03 AM

Thinking about different tool.  If I use a screwdriver or chisel it will be difficult to get anything on it to turn it due to no room.  Going to look at a 3/8 drive extension that is long enough to get a ratchet on top above all the obstructions.  Mill it out to fit the extension.  Thought about a drag link bit too but don't have any near small enough and don't want to ruin a good one.  If I had an old straight bit for a hand brace I could weld an extension on it.  Will come up with something that will work.

Edited by chieffan, January 31, 2016 - 11:04 AM.

#92 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 04:49 PM

If the plug is plastic you can heat a large screw driver hot enough to melt the plastic and shove it in the hole and let it cool. A square screw driver works the best. After it cools put a crescent wrench on the shank of the driver and use that to turn the plug. A chisel also works good used instead of a screw driver. The larger the chisel the better.

I got to thinking abut this delima last night and remembered I had a large flat blade screwdriver with a 6 sided shank right below the handle.  Got it this morning and put the torch to it.  When the blade was red hot I stuck it in the plug and tapped it down with a hammer, lightly though as it was hot enough to melt into the plug.  Let it set for about 1/2 hour, got a crescent wrench on the hex part of the blade and started to turn it.  Took a lot of pressure but it finally started to turn.  Once it started I turned it as far as I could without stopping.  After about 2 turns I could turn the plug out the rest of the way.  Thanks to Cvans, Mission Accomplished.  Now to get another plug for that hole. 

• olcowhand, Cvans and bh115577 have said thanks

#93 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 05:32 PM

Glad it worked for you.  :thumbs: