• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#61 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 11:01 AM

bh115577  - -   Only difference is in your photo it shows the return line going from the right end of the block back to the injector pump.  On mine it goes from the left end of the block to the fuel tank.

Yup. That's just a file photo I found on Yahoo of a 950 but similar setup.

I've broken a few of those return tubes by over tightening the nuts. Go easy when you tighten them and watch the tube for bending.

• chieffan said thank you

#62 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,414 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 11:36 AM

Sorry about that chief, I didn't realize that it was the older engine, but we are definitely on the same page. When the injectors are done it should fire right up.

#63 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 05:56 PM

Picked up the injectors this afternoon.  They put the new seal on the top and included the new seal for the bottom.  Look like new injectors.  I asked what they were like.  The tech. said bad.  One was plugged, the other two had no atomization at all.  Just spit out fuel.  Completely rebuilt them and put back to factory specs.  He siad they tested out good now.  Possibly tomorrow afternoon will put things back together and see what happens.  Have a magnetic heater I will put on the oil pan and a forced air heater directed at the tractor on the right side while I am working on it.  Should be half way warmed up by the time I get it back together and ready to start it up.  Fuel is winter blend and fresh so that should be good.  Will know more tomorrow at this time I hope.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#64 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,316 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 06:21 PM

If you didn't check it yet try to verify air flow to the intake.  If you have blockage it will not run either..  Gotta have air too..  Just a thought..  If the hours are high I'd pull the valve cover and verify valve action as well..  Cover all the bases..

Looks like you should be close though..  

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, January 22, 2016 - 06:22 PM.

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#65 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 07:46 PM

Have not verified air flow as I am not sure how that is done on a diesel.  Gas is not problem but a diesel is a lot different.  Only has 1250 hours on it and the meter is till working, so the engine is just in its prime now.  The air filter was new and everything inside looked good and clean.  I have turned it over a lot since I have had it bleeding out the fuel lines and all.  As far as checking air flow, I don't have a clue.  Not covered in the service manual that I have found yet.

• Alc said thank you

#66 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,316 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 08:07 PM

Just spit-balling as air is needed along with lots of compression and properly timed injection to make a diesel rock..  Sounds like your OK. with air then.  Does it fire at all?  

#67 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 09:25 PM

Not with the injector as they were. Tech guy said there was no way it could run with them the way they were. Should be good to go now - I HOPE ? Talking up into the low 30's tomorrow so will be working on it.

• Alc, KennyP and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#68 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 06:36 AM

Good Luck!

#69 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 07:52 AM

Thanks guys.  If by chance I don't get it running I have a good friend that runs his own repair shop and is real good with diesels.  He said he would come out the look at it near the end of the day but better have cool one ready for him. HA!  If it was gear drive could always pull it to get it fired the first time but won't work with a hydro.  Battery will be fresh charged with a big charger still on it when I try to start it.  Can't believe that battery.  Was in the tractor when I got it, sat for over 2 years, had ice in it when I popped the caps.  Let it sit and thaw out over night and put a 2 A charger on it for about 3 days, then went to 10 A. It charged back up and has held a charge for over a week.  Unbelievable - a Case IH Battery that is 6 years old.  Would be nice if that was the norm rather than the exception.

• Gtractor, Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#70 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 10:23 AM

When working on the GT's that have not ran for some time I always squirt a shot or two of oil on top of the cylinder.  Helps lube the cylinder walls and seal the rigs to the wall for better compression.  Think I will do that to this one too.  Cant hurt anything.

• olcowhand and Alc have said thanks

#71 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 10:32 AM

Don't put too much in there, as it could take off wide open by burning the oil for fuel.  No way to shut them down except to block the intake completely.

#72 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 11:24 AM

Probably just a good squirt from a pump oil can would be enough.  Don't take much to lube the cylinder walls.  Thanks for the warning olcowhand.  Not warming up much hear though.

1:30 and still only 19° with a chilly South wind with moisture in the air.  Magnetic heater is on the oil pan and charger is at trickel on the battery so guess it will keep for another day.  Nap time !

Edited by chieffan, January 23, 2016 - 02:30 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#73 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 10:29 AM

Any progress? The suspense is kinda killing me.

#74 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 07:27 PM

Didn't warm up much so stay in yesterday (Sunday).  Made a road trip today and picked up a new diesel compression tester and click type torque wrench.  Some needed updates to my tool chest.  Will get after it tomorrow.  Will do a comp test first and if it looks OK will see if it will start.

• olcowhand, KennyP and bh115577 have said thanks

#75 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 01:51 PM

Any progress? The suspense is kinda killing me.

Heat is on.JPG    Injectors in.JPG    Ready for bleeding.JPG

Took a while to bleed the front line but it finally came clean with no air bubbles.  Run the GP for a full minute and give it a try.  Black smoke but no fire.  Another minute on the GP and tried again.  Got a couple chugs out of it this time.  Getting closer.  Another minute on the GP, backed the throttle down to just under half way and tired again.  Tried to fire and kept the starter engaged and it took off.  All kinds of smoke for a couple seconds, ran a little rough at first but smoothed right out.  Put the sealer in the radiator with a tight cap and turned it up to about 1/2+ throttle and let it run for half hour.  Checked out the lift and all worked good.  Forward and reverse, Lo and HI worked fine.  Both PTO speeds OK.  Now to figure out how to power the front PTO for the deck so I can check it out.

After about a long 1/2 hour I shut it down and drained the oil.  Will get a new filter and battery this afternoon, then check the oil for coolant after it sits a couple hours.  Made me feel real good.  The $170+ it cost to have the injectors rebuilt was well worth it.  It has turf tires on all 4 so not much good on frozen ground with snow on top.  Good thing it is down hill to the machine shed.

Appreciate all the advise and suggestions as I learned a lot but still have a lot to learn about diesels and this Kubota in general.  I think I am going to like it.

Edited by chieffan, January 26, 2016 - 05:10 PM.

• olcowhand, massey driver, Gtractor and 7 others have said thanks