92 replies to this topic

#46 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 08:16 AM

Just looked at the parts manual for this tractor. It does have a mechanical fuel/lift pump. Sounds like you're getting enough fuel to the injectors as you described flow at the injector lines.

Were you able to check compression?

Yes, it does have the mechanical fuel pump, right under the injector.  Have not checked compression as my checker does not thread into the port.  Hard to hold the tapered rubber end sealed in the hole and turn the key at the same time.

#47 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 08:23 AM

Those threaded adapters for Kubota engines can get very expensive and really aren't used very often. If it turns out you need one I have one I made from an old injector body and could ship to you.

• chieffan said thank you

#48 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 08:31 AM

skyrydr2,

You better go back and look at the engines some more as you missed the D750A that was in the 1979 model year Kubota.  There is only ONE low pressure return line to the tank and that is from the block around the injectors.  Also there is no electric pump of any kind on it.  Only one mechanical pump under the injector pump.  Bottom of the tank is about 2" higher than the fuel pump.  The fuel shut of valve is on the filter, not the pump and is in the on position.  There was nothing from the exhaust, like I said before.  No smoke, fuel odor, nothing.  That is why I pulled the injector as they were not allowing fuel into the top of the cylinder.  Also the glow plugs were pulled and check with a jumper from the positive battery holding the glow plug to ground.  They heated up fast.  Also you did not explain your statements I mentioned in post #35.

#49 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 08:37 AM

Since on one has said this here's what I would do .   Disable the glowplugs , have someone crank it and give it a shot of ether .

• chieffan said thank you

#50 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 08:38 AM

Those threaded adapters for Kubota engines can get very expensive and really aren't used very often. If it turns out you need one I have one I made from an old injector body and could ship to you.

I would have to get a complete new tester as mine is probably 50 years old and no way to thread anything on it. The tapered rubber end is molded to the tube from the gauge.  Not really feasible for one tractor to buy a new one.  I only use it for smaller engines.  Thanks for the offer.  Appreciate your help.

#51 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 09:01 AM

Since on one has said this here's what I would do .   Disable the glowplugs , have someone crank it and give it a shot of ether .

I thought of that but with no smoke, fumes, odor or anything coming from the exhaust, I figured that would start it for a couple seconds but not keep it running.  Still is an option though.  That old Ford with an international diesel would eat glow plugs like candy.  Couple times when it would not start I had the Mrs turn it over and I hit with a quick shot of starting fluid to get it running.  After that would just let it run.  Not a good practice but it worked.

#52 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 09:26 AM

On the injector pump there is a throttle lever, correct? How do you shut the engine off? Move the throttle all the way forward or back ? Make sure at this linkage that there is not a second tab that the linkage hits to shut off the fuel to the injectors.. You do not shut it down by turning off the fuel at the filter... You have no fuel pressure to the I hectors if you get no smoke, or the muffler is a plugged? This will definitely cause issues.
  • Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#53 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 09:36 AM

"It" is a generaliztion of the entire tractor, and " the pump" is refering to the injector pump.
One way or another for fuel to return to the tank, you must first have reason to do this, somehow it is getting excess fuel around the injectors?? Where is it coming from? Not the high pressure lines that's for sure,they only deliver high pressure fuel ,enough to respond to your input as to the rpm you want.
The injector pump is "de-stroked" and not allowing the pistons to pump fuel to the injectors so it will start.

Edited by skyrydr2, January 22, 2016 - 09:51 AM.

#54 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 10:07 AM

Ok your rig has a decompession lever on it, make sure it is all the way to the right When facing forward from operators platform, then set throttle to 1/2 travel, heat glow plugs and crank, if the compression release it correct it should start. Yours pumps cooling fuel through block and into the head cavities around the injectors this is why there is not an extra fuel line on top of pump.
If you have to disconnect the cable to the de-compression lever to be sure it is fully released.

Edited by skyrydr2, January 22, 2016 - 10:09 AM.

#55 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 10:12 AM

On the injector pump there is a throttle lever, correct? How do you shut the engine off? Move the throttle all the way forward or back ? Make sure at this linkage that there is not a second tab that the linkage hits to shut off the fuel to the injectors.. You do not shut it down by turning off the fuel at the filter... You have no fuel pressure to the I hectors if you get no smoke, or the muffler is a plugged? This will definitely cause issues.

The throttle lever is pulled clear to the back to shut the engine down, or so the manual says.  The linkage goes from the bottom of the throttle lever directly to the arm on the fuel pump.  In the "stop" position a short arm opposite the long arm rests again a block which has a small bolt with lock nut for high speed rpm adjustment.  The fuel shut off for the pump is probably inside the very front part of the injector pump.  If it warms up a little will get some photos but at 18° not into doing that right now. 

I DO have fuel at the injectors.  Fuel sprays all over with the line nuts loose, throttle part way open, and turning the engine over. Haven't checked the muffler as that will be a last resort.  Absolutely no reason to think the muffler is plugged as there was no signs of any mice ever being around this tractor.  One of the first things I look for when looking into getting a used non-running tractor.

On this set up the only place there can be any fuel getting to the return line is by way of the lines from the injector pump to the return blocks at the injectors.  I need to get some photos so I can show exactly what I am talking about.

• Alc said thank you

#56 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 10:27 AM

The fuel return line, or what the manual lists as the overflow pipe, is directly attached to all 3 injectors and under the high pressure feed lines.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Cvans and chieffan have said thanks

#57 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 10:32 AM

First photo is the fuel filter and fuel shut off valve assembly, right rear of the engine.

Second photo is the top of the injector pump that shows the linkage from the throttle lever.  Small round piece in lower left is part of last photo.

Third photo shows the top of the fuel pump under the injector pump between the engine block and the side cover.

Last photo shows the return block from the injectors.  The hose from the left end goes to the top of the tank.  NO OTHER lines connected.

Hope this clears up some confusion on this tractor.  If you want photos of anything else let me know.  Can get them with no trouble.

Fuel Filter.JPG   Pump Top.JPG

Fuel Pump.JPG    Ful Ret Block.JPG

Edited by chieffan, January 22, 2016 - 10:35 AM.

• Cvans said thank you

#58 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 10:45 AM

Check the de- compression linkage on the back of the cylinder head, that partially open will give you all sorts of grief.

#59 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 10:50 AM

Will check it again.  Checked it right after I started on the tractor to be sure the cable wasn't froze.  Return spring pulls it back to the closed stop and the knob is out about 1/8" so that part should be good.  I had the engine turning when I tightened each line nut at the injectors to be sure there was fuel present.  I know it wasn't necessary but second time around figured it wouldn't hurt.

#60 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 10:57 AM

bh115577  - -   Only difference is in your photo it shows the return line going from the right end of the block back to the injector pump.  On mine it goes from the left end of the block to the fuel tank.

skyrydr2 - -  I though we were talking about two complete different set ups.  That's why what you were say was not fitting my situation. 
Got that straightened out now.  Just need some injectors back to proceed further.  Checked yesterday and were not done yet, about a dozen trucks sitting there.  Most headed towards the shop meaning need work.  Couple were head to the street, meaning ready to go.

Edited by chieffan, January 22, 2016 - 11:01 AM.

• bh115577 said thank you