• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • Member No: 65629
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 04:33 PM

I just watched a rear PTO setup come and go on Ebay for, what I assume was for, an older Power King.  It ran off the front PTO and had a connection near the 3 pt.  It looks like it ran at 2000 RPM.  I'm curious about what these were used for since the standard for most 3 pt. attachments seems to be 540 RPM.

Thanks!

Edited by zuren, January 11, 2016 - 04:34 PM.

• chieffan and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,727 Thanks
  • 8,908 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 04:46 PM

Modern 3 point attachments are usually 540 rpm. Older garden tractors used everything under the sun. From 540 up to engine speed at WOT depending on the brand.

• chieffan said thank you

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 05:25 PM

They were for the tiller.

#4 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 06:07 PM

The drives for the tillers were integral to the tiller and not useable for anything else.

There was an independent pto that was available for the PK's that was indeed 2000 rpm and could be used to power implements that were driven 2000 rpm-rotary cutters-bush hogs) etc. The 2000 rpm rear pto was typically used with the cat 0 small sized tractors only.

Chuck

Edited by EconChuck, January 11, 2016 - 06:08 PM.

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 06:16 PM

Modern 3 point attachments are usually 540 rpm. Older garden tractors used everything under the sun. From 540 up to engine speed at WOT depending on the brand.

For many year full size tractor have had dual PTO speeds, 540 and 1000.  Single output shaft but remove the 540 drive and slide in the 1000 on the spot.  Also some towable equipment like fertilizer spreaders, etc. can be switched from 540 to 1000 PTO speed by changing a roller chain on the drive system.  When a PTO became standard on all tractors the speed was 540 RPM.

• Alc and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 07:36 PM

That pto for PK was just a shaft hanging on bearings and supports off the frame center for most part. Early ones ran from Bellhousing location below with belt off the back of engine and on the flywheel, out the bottom of Hogs head as it is called and had a shut off of some mechanical type and back a bit a joint and another shaft to the rear.   Newer PK with the electric pto had longer set-up to reach up front to the pto, directly below and belted. Electric switch then ran pto.  I'm not sure, but think in some cases attachments could not be used with this pto in place, as they used some of same mounts?? Not real clear on that.  I really think PK just made those to appeal to owners that thought every tractor should have a rear pto, even tho it was not one of their best attachments.  The tillers of the times has a similar long shaft in a tube all the way up to the front pto belt areas, and would not allow both systems to be mounted then. 

I now have one of last PK's and it has a rear pto, but all I have is about midway of frame back to the rear mount. I'm thinking there should be another shaft from mid point up to the pto in front, but off the back of it, that this tractor has, but not sure. Would have to look at a parts book to be sure. I'm thinking it will be coming off when I rebuild, but not sure at this time.

• Alc said thank you