156 replies to this topic

#46 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 12:44 PM

The carport shop is in my plans for the future.

But heck if you build a big one 30x36 you'll have out 7000 in the structure closed in with a garage door. No wiring or insulation. And no concrete pad
  • Gtractor said thank you

#47 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • Member No: 57585
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 10:14 AM

I still would like to know how you got this insured being that you were heating a detached garage with solid fuel, i need your insurance!

#48 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 10:51 AM

Things arent the same everywhere.  I have State Farm and have my detatched 2 car garage heated with a wood/cool stove.  My Dad has Nationwide and has his detached 2 car garage insured with a wood stove.

My area is different, I have no zoning, no building inspectors, no fire inspectors, no one really care what we do or not, as long as the insurance company is happy with it, then I am good to go.

The only thing State Farm guy requested when he came to inspect my structure was to verify that triple wall extended up through the enclosed ceiling up into the ceiling.  He also had a tape measure and checked distances between the stove and the wall.  18" Off the floor, and if in direct line with a vehicle entering into the garage, it must have a stop of some sort protecting the stove.

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 20, 2016 - 10:55 AM.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#49 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted January 20, 2016 - 05:00 PM

I still would like to know how you got this insured being that you were heating a detached garage with solid fuel, i need your insurance!

Been with the same company for 30+ years & no complaints from them!  One inspector told me years ago to get a bigger stove board under it, but never came back to check.

#50 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • Member No: 57585
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 08:13 AM

Things arent the same everywhere.  I have State Farm and have my detatched 2 car garage heated with a wood/cool stove.  My Dad has Nationwide and has his detached 2 car garage insured with a wood stove.

My area is different, I have no zoning, no building inspectors, no fire inspectors, no one really care what we do or not, as long as the insurance company is happy with it, then I am good to go.

The only thing State Farm guy requested when he came to inspect my structure was to verify that triple wall extended up through the enclosed ceiling up into the ceiling.  He also had a tape measure and checked distances between the stove and the wall.  18" Off the floor, and if in direct line with a vehicle entering into the garage, it must have a stop of some sort protecting the stove.

I too, live in a rural area, with no enforcement of local codes, zoning, etc.  But believe it or not, we still have zoning and codes and building inspectors, even us folks in the country.  There are county and township codes.  Most if not all have adopted the same new codes, however if your insurance covers it, don't ask questions!  Living in the country does not exempt a person from zoning, codes, or building inspectors, however it's much more lax.  I currently heat a detached garage with solid fuel....against code as our area has adopted the most recent just as most of the country has.  It is baffling to even think that a detached building is against code to heat.  About 75% of our area heats their out buildings with wood....  against code....

I too, live in a rural area, with no enforcement of local codes, zoning, etc.  But believe it or not, we still have zoning and codes and building inspectors, even us folks in the country.  There are county and township codes.  Most if not all have adopted the same new codes, however if your insurance covers it, don't ask questions!  Living in the country does not exempt a person from zoning, codes, or building inspectors, however it's much more lax.  I currently heat a detached garage with solid fuel....against code as our area has adopted the most recent just as most of the country has.  It is baffling to even think that a detached building is against code to heat.  About 75% of our area heats their out buildings with wood....  against code....

• MH81 said thank you

#51 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 12:04 PM

Wow that aint good

#52 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted January 21, 2016 - 05:15 PM

I've got nearly everything out that can be salvaged, lots of sorting to do, but that can wait! Still need to take some lumber racks off one wall that I made with angle iron & 3/8" rod & take some drawer slides out of the floor cabinets, I can use those over later. Sold the log splitter today, that cash will go into tools & supplies for the new shop.

• wvbuzzmaster and oldedeeres have said thanks

#53 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted January 22, 2016 - 04:53 PM

Wife got called in to sub today (teaching), so while her car was out, I took over the warm garage to clean up some of the hand tools that made it through the fire OK.  1/4" & 3/8" sockets; SAE & metric, standard & deep well, Allen head, Torx head, ratchets, etc.  Also several combination wrenches up to 3/4", couple of vise grips & adjustable wrenches.  None were hot enough to damage, just sooty, tried some solvents with no luck, so I went to a 6" brass wire wheel.  Need to give them a light coat of lubricant & wipe them down now!

Edited by grnspot110, January 22, 2016 - 07:36 PM.

• Gtractor, KennyP, EricR and 1 other said thanks

#54 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 06:06 PM

Finished taking the metal siding off the shop. Pictures 2016 014.JPG   I'm hoping all the scrap metal will bring enough to pay for my gas to haul it to the scrapyard!  Otherwise, I'l have to pay the trash service to take it.

I put the plastic on to keep the last snow out, had to go to the lumberyard for plastic & nails!

Hoping to have it down in a week or two!

• olcowhand, Gtractor and oldedeeres have said thanks

#55 pidjones OFFLINE  

pidjones
  • Member No: 76750
  • 56 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 07:03 PM

Keep tabs of all expenditures - including fuel. Claim it all and a good company will pay. Mine paid for a guy to tarp an area on my roof that had shingles torn off by wind. It was done to prevent further damage and covered with no problem.
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#56 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 06:58 PM

Off to St Joe, MO today for more tools & supplies for the new shop!

Contractor called with a $9K quote for the basic replacement structure, including ceiling w/insulation & canopy on the east side. Told him to go with it, I'll let him know when the site is ready. I'm hoping to have it enclosed by the end of February, then I'll start with the wiring, insulation & 1/4" plywood paneling.

• olcowhand, wvbuzzmaster and oldedeeres have said thanks

#57 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 07:41 PM

Made a quick trip to the farm this morning, then, on the way home I stopped by the trash service office.  This 40 yd roll-off was set before noon:    Pictures 2016 017.JPG  Sides are too high for my loader, so I'mm loading from the back, have a set of 5' ramps that work well setting on two 4" solid concrete blocks.  Got all the contents in today  Pictures 2016 016.JPG

Then took what's left down & cut the old meter pole off so it won't break off & fall on the new shop someday!  Pictures 2016 015.JPG     

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 7 others have said thanks

#58 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 06:15 PM

Got it cleared down to the original sub-floor today:  Pictures 2016 019 - Copy.JPG  Hope to finish up tomorrow, dumpster will be full: Pictures 2016 020 - Copy.JPG  Hopefully, I can finish in time to get the roll-off picked up tomorrow!

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, wvbuzzmaster and 4 others have said thanks

#59 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 06:40 PM

Boy, you stacked that neatly in there!

• grnspot110 said thank you

#60 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,642 Thanks
  • 1,734 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 07:07 PM

You do good work. 

Luckily the weather has held off enough to allow you to get this done.  :thumbs:

Hope that the rest of the job goes as well as this.    Rick

• grnspot110 said thank you