Oh man that stinks, sorry
  • grnspot110 said thank you

#34 pidjones OFFLINE  

pidjones
  • Member No: 76750
  • 56 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 06:59 AM

So sorry for you. We had pretty weak insurance on a second house that we had just fixed up and were ready to move the youngest daughter into. It was gutted by a fire with most of my home project hand and power tools near the source, brand new appliances in place. We made good photo record and I made an extensive list of tools and condition. Adjuster took the total that I calculated from internet lookups and didn't bat an eye adding them to the total, along with all new replacement appliances and contractor demo/rebuild of the structure. Financially we were well covered. It was a Lloyd's underwriter covering most because of the location and distance from FD. Don't doubt the insurance company until you speak to the adjuster. Ours was more than fair.
  • MH81, grnspot110 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#35 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 07:32 AM

We have American Family, they've done well on a couple hailstorm replacements in the past.  Adjuster coming tomorrow & they are sending an "inventory" company to go through what's left.  Most of my tool manuals are salvageable (to an extent), so I can show what I had in the way of power tools.  Given time, I can recite what hand tools were where in the shop, everything had it's place.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#36 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 08:12 AM

Wow, didn't I just watch a video of you plowing snow by this building a few days back? Like everybody said thankfully nobody was hurt. I guess the only bright side is that when you rebuild you can make the benches "exactly" the height you want and position the vice "just so" etc. Sorry you are going  thru this.

#37 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 07:54 PM

Had to make a trip to St Joe (MO) today, so I got started with some tools: shop vac, screwdriver set, portable folding workbench, 20 oz Plumb hammer (rip claw) Porter Cable 20V cordless tool set; drill, impact driver, recip. saw, cir. saw, osc. saw & light w/2 batteries & charger. Some odds & ends from Harbor Freight & glues, tape, etc. Enough stuff to be able to do something anyway!

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 4 others have said thanks

#38 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 08:18 PM

Had to make a trip to St Joe (MO) today, so I got started with some tools: shop vac, screwdriver set, portable folding workbench, 20 oz Plumb hammer (rip claw) Porter Cable 20V cordless tool set; drill, impact driver, recip. saw, cir. saw, osc. saw & light w/2 batteries & charger. Some odds & ends from Harbor Freight & glues, tape, etc. Enough stuff to be able to do something anyway!

There ya go....get right back in the saddle!   :thumbs:

#39 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,714 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 05:51 AM

Glad you could get some tools to work with!

#40 rippinryno OFFLINE  

rippinryno
  • Banned
  • Member No: 57585
  • 11 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 07:58 AM

i am surprised you could have a seperate detached garage insured with solid fuel appliance.  most jurisdictions, in fact all that i can think of do not insure such heated buildings.  I would say consider yourself lucky that they insure this.  Sorry for the loss, i know this can be a headache.  I agree with a previous post it looks like FD was there quickly as the wood was not completely burned. 

Edited by rippinryno, January 13, 2016 - 08:03 AM.

#41 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 06:49 AM

Picked up a good used Delta scroll saw just like the one I had off CL yesterday for $115.  Then back to Lowes for a new Porter Cable 12-1/2" thickness planer for $255 and a few more things from Menard's & Harbor freight.  These will be stored in another shed until the new shop is up.

Heading to the loafing spot this morning for a bit, then work on the shop inventory today.

• olcowhand, wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#42 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 11:33 PM

Will you be building the shop yourself, or does the insurance cover hiring a builder and the removal of the remains of the old building? I know that up here it's all in the fine print as to what is covered in the claim. Sometimes what they tell you is covered when you take out a policy and what is written up don't bear much similarity. Several years back we had a heavy snowfall and a neighbour's quonset shed roof caved in . Turned out nobody covers those sheds for snow damage, just fire, wind, trees, etc. Who knew? The company certainly doesn't offer that information unless you ask specifically.

#43 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 07:33 AM

Will you be building the shop yourself, or does the insurance cover hiring a builder and the removal of the remains of the old building? I know that up here it's all in the fine print as to what is covered in the claim. Sometimes what they tell you is covered when you take out a policy and what is written up don't bear much similarity. Several years back we had a heavy snowfall and a neighbour's quonset shed roof caved in . Turned out nobody covers those sheds for snow damage, just fire, wind, trees, etc. Who knew? The company certainly doesn't offer that information unless you ask specifically.

I built this one 30+ years ago, but I'll hire the basic structure built this time & maybe the wiring.  I'll insulate & finish the inside.  Materials for the basic structure w/ceiling came to $6000.  The inventory company is scheduled for tomorrow morning.  When they're done, I'll bring in a roll-off, ins. allowed $500 for that, I'll clean it up & prepare the "site" with 3-4" of a dirty gravel (gravel w/lime) base.  Once the building's up & enclosed I can work inside this winter with an LP "salamander" until the LP heat is installed. 

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 3 others have said thanks

#44 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 09:50 AM

You ever been out to Ronnie's place and looked at his carport shop? 

Something like that would be very quick to get put up. 

If you wanted to be fancy you could use the carport with eaves.

[for everyone else to get a mental picture]

This guy had a carport installed on a concrete pad.  Not sure of the size but guessing 20 wide and 30 long.  Definately longer than a standard two car - carport.  The carport was enclosed on 3 sides with a window on the back wall. 

Then the owner took over. 

He wired electrical including 220 for a welder and ample lighting.  He sealed off the front end using wood, including full insulation, a walk in door, and a roll up overhead door large enough to drive in.   He then had foam insulation blown on the three metal walls and roof.   There is a bathroom set back from the walk-in door with ample room to walk in and out the exterior door.  Behind the bathroom enclosure, he cut a hole in the exterior wall and built an enclosure for an outside wood stove to supply heat.   Wood chips, smoke, ashes and ultimately sparks are all outside and there is no loss of floor space.  With a work bench finishing out that side of the building and wrapping around the entire length of the back wall.   The other side of the building,  in line with the overhead door is all open space the full length of the building - minus the workbench at the back wall. 

The shop turned out great and is much better than my prehistoric shop.

Edited by Gtractor, January 17, 2016 - 11:30 AM.

• grnspot110, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#45 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 11:49 AM

You ever been out to Ronnie's place and looked at his carport shop? 

Something like that would be very quick to get put up. 

If you wanted to be fancy you could use the carport with eaves.

[for everyone else to get a mental picture]

This guy had a carport installed on a concrete pad.  Not sure of the size but guessing 20 wide and 30 long.  Definately longer than a standard two car - carport.  The carport was enclosed on 3 sides with a window on the back wall. 

Then the owner took over. 

He wired electrical including 220 for a welder and ample lighting.  He sealed off the front end using wood, including full insulation, a walk in door, and a roll up overhead door large enough to drive in.   He then had foam insulation blown on the three metal walls and roof.   There is a bathroom set back from the walk-in door with ample room to walk in and out the exterior door.  Behind the bathroom enclosure, he cut a hole in the exterior wall and built an enclosure for an outside wood stove to supply heat.   Wood chips, smoke, ashes and ultimately sparks are all outside and there is no loss of floor space.  With a work bench finishing out that side of the building and wrapping around the entire length of the back wall.   The other side of the building,  in line with the overhead door is all open space the full length of the building - minus the workbench at the back wall. 

The shop turned out great and is much better than my prehistoric shop.

I had thought about that in the past, but want the new building to be about the same as the old one, just much better condition!

• Gtractor said thank you