• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 01:13 PM

After several months of idle probs with a 18 hp opposed twin, I finally snagged a ride and picked up new plugs.

Now it runs w/o a miss but with increased revs.

Anyone know what the correct way is to adjust the idle down?

Engine is in a 917.255919, can't make out the model number. Lousy info I know but hoping someone in the know can help.

Thanks for your patience.2nd restore project.jpg

#2 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 4,247 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 02:12 PM

There should be an external idle screw on the carb, It should be touching a small paddle on the throttle shaft.

I can provide a picture if needed.

Edited by larrybl, January 11, 2016 - 02:13 PM.

• Alc and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,461 Thanks
  • 7,819 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 07:59 PM

Dont some twins have that complicated linkage along the top or front of engine with the cables going to it?  ONe way to set idle is to just loose the outer casing mount of the throttle cable and push in farther to get idle down?  AND, in later years all the springs used kinda set the speeds and if a rod was there, it had an offset bend to adjust speeds by using a special tool with slit in end to bend that center off set area. That is what my V-twin Vanguard has. I have V-twin Kohlers in other tractors and have same issue, haven't looked at yet. AND, I am also thinking that modern engines may have a higher idle to keep it cooler better, as they have special tins and guards to keep a positive air flow thru the engine area in modern closed up body styles, and reccomend to keep those in place to prevent over-heating. So a little faster, keeps the flow stronger?? What think?

• Alc and Phluphy have said thanks

#4 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 4,247 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 08:24 PM

Picture 1 is the idle adj screw, if this doesn't affect the idle you may need to adj the governor screw, 2nd picture. The governor is tricky, it only moves about 1/4 inch, so a small adj will make a BIG difference.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1140859.JPG
  • P1140860.JPG

• Phluphy said thank you

#5 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 12:57 AM

Picture 1 is the idle adj screw, if this doesn't affect the idle you may need to adj the governor screw, 2nd picture. The governor is tricky, it only moves about 1/4 inch, so a small adj will make a BIG difference.

Thanks Larry, I had thought my engine was a clone of yours but that gov screw on yours is totally diff on mine.

Closer look shows me your linkage is also different.

It's late and near freezing here now but, I'll try to get a photo posted tomorrow.

Patience appreciated.

Thank you.