Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone one running a Dual Boot System.....

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 11:44 AM

Meaning Windows and a Linux type boot? I am having some issues with some of my Windows based programs not running correctly on Linux Mint Cinnamon. My printer will not scan correctly and Sketchup will not show a print preview. Since I am looking for another computer, I am thinking of setting one up for dual boot and use Linux most of the time. Then I can still run my Windows programs, just wondering if I can access the files that are on the Windows side of things from Linux?

I cannot get my printer software to load into Linux as it looks for Windows and I just get an error during the installation.

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 12:01 PM

Kenny, look under administration on the start menu and you should see a link to the driver manager.  Try loading your printer software through it.  Not all distro's have this feature.  Also what brand of Printer do you have?

I don't currently have a dual boot but I have in the past.  The big thing is to load windows first then the Linux Distro you wish to use.  But what may be a better solution is to load Windows on to a VM that way you don't have to reboot to use the windows programs.

• KennyP said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 12:06 PM

There is a driver manager. I'll see if it can give me the option when installing the software. I take it the VM is Virtual Memory? Not sure how to do that.

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 12:28 PM

VM = Virtual Machine.  Here are some info that may help install and understand how it works.  Virtualbox come pre-installed on PCLOS but it should be in your repository so install it through software manager. 

What brand printer do you have?  If it is HP make sure HPLIP is installed.  Not all distro's install it by default and I'm not sure about Mint.  To see if it is installed you should be able to go the software manager and there should be an installed tab or option.  Or another way would be to just open the software manager and do a search for HPLIP when it pops up it will tell you if it is installed if not install it.

• KennyP said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 02:20 PM

It is an HP. I got the hplip installed and I can scan, just can't scan to PDF like before. Look for a PM!

#6 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 02:49 PM

Meaning Windows and a Linux type boot? I am having some issues with some of my Windows based programs not running correctly on Linux Mint Cinnamon. My printer will not scan correctly and Sketchup will not show a print preview. Since I am looking for another computer, I am thinking of setting one up for dual boot and use Linux most of the time. Then I can still run my Windows programs, just wondering if I can access the files that are on the Windows side of things from Linux?

I cannot get my printer software to load into Linux as it looks for Windows and I just get an error during the installation.

I needn't duck,,,that went right over my head! 

Attached Thumbnails

• zdkmq0yicftndewiuxjl.jpeg

• KennyP said thank you

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 06:26 PM

Got your PM and called left a message.  Hope to talk to you tonight.

Kenny look in your software manager for a driver called Cups-pdf.  It will install itself as a printer so when you go to print something you can choice it and it will print it to a PDF.  Also there is a program called xSane that will help you with scanning and my do what you want.

• KennyP and Trav1s have said thanks

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 08:08 PM

Reading this made my Head Hurt!  I like that wind-up laptop picture. That is a work of art!  That just someone's fun, or is there acually a modern laptop working in there?  I see rest of house has fine furniture too, so thinking just a whimsical item to match.  Heck, I can't even run my new W10, much less understand what you guys are doing. OK< back in my cage, night!

• KennyP, HDWildBill and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#9 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 09:28 PM

I just installed an HP 8620 All-In-One on Ubuntu and it will scan from glass or document feeder using Simple Scan.  

Make sure You have the correct version of HPLIP for your printer.  Ubuntu 14.04 comes with HPLIP 3.14.3 and my printer needs 3.14.4 so I installed the latest version 3.15.11 that includes all of the latest update.

It does come with an auto installer so it is not to hard to install. here  And Instructions. here

Hope this helps.

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#10 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 10:27 PM

running Mint and Ubuntu.

Mainly use Ubuntu.  Installed mint to have a look see.

• KennyP said thank you

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 05:42 AM

The version I have is 3.15.2., Ducky.

I now have a sick of DDR2bmemory to test the Dell Optiplex 775 computers that my son brought down. If they work, I will see if I can install Win 8 and upgrade it to 8.1. Then put Linux in. That will let me 'restore' with the back up I had. I just won't do the system restore.

#12 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 06:08 AM

Do yourself a favor Kenny & install some more RAM in those things as they only come with 2 GB..  Things will be slow or just crash..  WIN 8.1 is RAM hungry..  (1 GB min)  More RAM is always better!

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 06:38 AM

Do yourself a favor Kenny & install some more RAM in those things as they only come with 2 GB..  Things will be slow or just crash..  WIN 8.1 is RAM hungry..  (1 GB min)  More RAM is always better!

If they work, I will max the ram. Just have to see for sure they will work. I will mostly be in Linux, just using windows sporadically.

#14 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 10:53 AM

Make sure the memory is just like what is installed.  I have a computer that I tried to add memory to and no matter what I did it would not work with the memory that came in it.  I ended up replacing the original plus adding some. 

#15 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 12:02 PM

I'm pretty sure its DDR2.  Pull the top off the machine and read the label on the RAM sticks..