Engine numbers and engine painting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

• Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 11:20 AM

I will soon be painting all the sheet metal parts of my 8HP Briggs engine. It has not been repainted and the model, code, and serial numbers are lightly stamped into the flywheel cover. They are difficult to read now and I'm afraid that a coat of primer and a coat of paint will fill them so that they will be even more difficult to see. I know the numbers but would still like to be able to read them after the restoration is done. I plan to use a sharp pick and dig out the paint that is now in the numbers and the paint will all be stripped from the cover. Any other suggestions ? What works good to highlight the numbers after a repaint? White paint to contrast the black? How would be the best way to do that? thanks

• chieffan said thank you

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,758 Thanks
  • 4,264 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 11:39 AM

I would sand blast the tin first.  Then prime and paint it being careful not to put on to much paint at a time.  Several light coats works better than heavy coats.  When new the numbers are stamped in the shroud before painting and are readable with out to much trouble.  You can get the same results.

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 11:43 AM

If really worried tape them off every other coat to prevent building up that much paint in the numbers.

#4 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

• Member No: 66603
  • 622 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 12:07 PM

Tape them off. When done painting remove tape and apply thin coat over numbers.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,745 Thanks
  • 2,721 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 02:09 PM

You can buy a decal with your model, serial number, and type on line nicely done you can check redo your horse or any them. Mount it on the side of the fan cover.

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 6,369 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 08:13 PM

I always blast the tins and numbers you thought weren't on it, are suddenly sticking right out and usable. Even after prime and paint, they seem to stay readable. Using thin white paint and wiping off what doesn't go into letters might work, but I would worry about being sticky and smearing the base tin coat and such. I never understood the stickers used now days. Once oily and gas on them and cleaning with solvents and such, they wear off. Don't think there is any other markings with info either. Future restorers will be lost for an exact ID of these engines. Maybe they aren't designed to last as long anymore?? 

#7 kloudbuster1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 78257
  • 5 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 02:44 AM

I would use paint stripper not a blaster. Sand blasting can level and fill. Just my opinion.