#1 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 07:25 AM

I got a gift certificate to a farm store, I am looking into a Speeco quick hitch, I was wondering if anyone on here has a quick hitch and do you like it? I am always changing 3-pt implements, in a busy gardening season I switch up to 3 to 4 implements a day.

What do you think?

http://www.orschelnf.../si6206708/cl1/

Edited by BTS, January 11, 2016 - 07:38 AM.

• Traill95 and chieffan have said thanks

#2 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 827 Thanks
  • 473 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 07:47 AM

When I was a kid working on the uncle's farm the largest tractor that pulled the big implements had a quick hitch.  The nicest thing I recall is you could back to the implement and get it lined up and the lowers attached without getting off the seat.  Made it much easier for one man.

My Speedex hitch is similar in that the implement drops down into slots and the arms don't spread - only difference is once it's in it's secured with pins rather than a latch.  I can back under my disc, raise the lowers up and pull it from the fence row before securing it.

My other implements don't stand up when detached from the tractor.  They have to be lifted onto the hitch.  Fortunately they're light, and it probably is faster than sticking pins through eyes.

The downside to the quick hitch - the implement has to pretty much exactly fit.  Too wide or too narrow and its useless.  I've run into that with my Speedex, its hitch is Cat 0 which means exactly 20" between the arms.  You'd be surprised how much Cat 0 stuff is 21" wide.  Since the arms don't spread the implement is useless to me.

Which brings me to my last point.  That quick hitch is Cat 1.  Are you using Cat 1 implements?

• Alc, BTS, ENafziger and 1 other said thanks

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 07:51 AM

I always wondered about having one of those and if useful. I don't have many implements, but not all of them have the same spacing between the pins,  woulld not work on ALL of the ones I had. SO, still would need to take the hitch off for some items, not that neat then. But, if everything you HAD WAS spaced the same, would be a great tool. Put your attachments up on blocks and back in and hook up quick. Speeco used to be a name for good US made blades and such, wonder if still that or just some more Chinese junk that "Looks" like it would work, but not hold up?  This one has quick release levers, most of chinese ones don't have those, so might be OK.

• BTS and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 08:09 AM

I have a Speeco wide front under my IH 400.  Bought it used at an auction, was on a IH 560 for several years.  I have used it for several years with no problem.  Parts are still available so Speeco is good brand name in my book. As for the quick Hitch , like other have said, all attachments have to be the same width to match the quick hitch.  On the large tractors you have about an inch leeway.  Doubt you have that much in the Cat 1 or 0 equipment.  If your equipment is a little narrow you might get by with longer pins, unless they are welded in. 

• BTS said thank you

#5 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for everyone's info, This will go on my Kubota L2000 (20hp) which is cat-1.

I figure I will just modify the implements that don't fit, most of my attachments are home built but I do have a factory box blade, middle buster, bush hog, finish mower and tiller. I have a terrible time getting these implements on by my self, especially the box blade since it has 300lbs of weights on it.

I think I will go with the hitch, I will probably get it picked up this Friday

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,589 Thanks
  • 3,904 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 11:35 AM

I've seen those quick hitches at HF and they look real tempting.  Only $80 and I have real trouble changing implements on the Ferguson.  Each year it gets worse for some reason.  :(

Its too bad the boneheads at Intertrashinal Harvestor wouldn't allow or sell the rights to their Fast Hitch to other companies.  The Fast Hitch was superior to 3pt in my opinion and even if not, it still works well for those physically challenged to climb down and muscle around the implement.

• BTS and chieffan have said thanks

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 02:07 PM

Right on Gtractor.  I have the fast hitch on my 400 and as long as the imps are parked on the levcel it works great, but still how to get off on most equipment.  Blade has a post to drop to hold the points up, 2 bottom plow won't stand up, etc. etc.  But still faster and easier than any 3 point.

• BTS said thank you

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 06:05 PM

I have a JD match quick hitch on my JD2320. I feel it was a great investment. The Speeco ones are very similar but some I've seen also have an adjustable top link height, a good feature when dealing with different implement brands that may have different heights. It's so much easier to just back up to an implement, especially a heavy one, and simply pick it up, reach back and lock the 2 bottom pins in position and it's done. If you change implements a lot you will not regret getting a quick hitch.

• BTS said thank you

#9 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 08:27 PM

Like others have said, that style of quick hitch id Ok if all of your attachment have the same spacing.

I use a quick hitch setup that just mounts to the lift arms of the 3-PT.  It's not quite as fast as the other style, but it allows for use with 'mismatched' attachments.

Mine is from Carter and Son's, which was the only one I could find in CAT 0.

http://carterandsonsllc.com/

100_4541.JPG

IF they would have made one in CAT 0, I would have much preferred to use the Pat's Easy Change System.

Unfortunately, the smallest that they make is CAT 1 :(

Edited by OldBuzzard, January 11, 2016 - 08:30 PM.

• BTS said thank you

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 08:00 PM

Buzzard, have seen that type of hitch, but wouldn't think much handier as the lift arms would still be moveable all-over the place and might need you to hold in position and such. Would need a "reaching" bar from the seat to move them?? I see you have a bar accross yours, but again, makes it a ONE-Size hitch, same as the solid one w/out messing with it. Guess I'm just not sold on the whole quick-hitch set-up unless you had all one brand tools made to use it on.

#11 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 10:18 AM

Grump, the Pat's and Carter hitches also have a spreader bar to address that issue.

http://carterandsons...alog/c8_p1.html

For me it's not all that much of a problem as my lift arms are still pretty tight and they don't move real easy.

What you see on my hitch is an attachment.  It's an A-Frame with a sleeve hitch adapter on it.

Edited by OldBuzzard, January 14, 2016 - 10:20 AM.