9 replies to this topic

#1 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 346 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 11:53 PM

So...my Grand Sierra didn't have a grass screen on the flywheel when I got it.  I had to replace a leaking front main seal and leaking head gasket (was like that when I got it).  There was a lot of oily grass to clean out from under the engine shroud, cooling fins, etc. due to the lack of screen.   It was by far the dirtiest, greasiest, small engine I've had to work on.  It took me longer to clean it than it did to do the repair work!

My question is...does someone have a pic of their grass screen?  I got a Kohler screen (plastic one in the last pic) for it but it was too thick/tall to fit between the shroud and steering tower.  I found that out when I went to install the motor.  :wallbanging:  I ended up making one out of some speaker grille material I had laying around.  It turned out great (1st pic).  I was just wondering what the original screen looked like.

Attached Thumbnails

• NCM_0069.JPG
  • NCM_0070.JPG
  • NCM_0071.JPG

• Alc, Traill95 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#2 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 11:54 PM

good idea n how you made that screen I may have to do the same for my Cub 129's engine...

• Billy M said thank you

#3 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • 346 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 12:05 AM

good idea n how you made that screen I may have to do the same for my Cub 129's engine...

That screen material is thicker than the screens on the old K series Kohlers.  It's off of a DJ/PA speaker cabinet.  I have plenty left if you can't find a piece.  I cut it out with my Dremel w/cutting wheel.

• dodge trucker and chieffan have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 06:00 AM

Now that you have the screen in place, be sure to check it often while mowing as it can cover with clippings and keep air from the engine. May be why one wasn't on there.

• Alc, Billy M, dodge trucker and 1 other said thanks

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 06:09 AM

Now that you have the screen in place, be sure to check it often while mowing as it can cover with clippings and keep air from the engine. May be why one wasn't on there.

Some tractors had a belly pan screen to keep the grass clippings away from the engine fan . Did yours ?

• Billy M and dodge trucker have said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 08:13 AM

I have used old screen wire, galvanized type, from old window screens to cut out new screen on the Wisconsin and Briggs.  Works good so far and stronger than the aluminum or plastic screen.  They all need to be kept clean like KennyP mentioned.

• Alc, KennyP and Billy M have said thanks

#7 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • 346 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 08:39 AM

Good advice.  I always clean off my mowers with compressed air every time I mow.  It makes it so much nicer with you have to do service, not to have the machine caked in grass.

#8 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • 346 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 08:43 AM

Some tractors had a belly pan screen to keep the grass clippings away from the engine fan . Did yours ?

Yes, all body/frame screens were in place.  This particular machine has three...a belly screen/pan, an intermediate one that goes between the frame rails that goes from the bottom of the steering tower to top of the belly pan, and one in the steering tower itself.  The engine compartment is so tight on these, Ariens butted the engine right against the steering tower.  The engine has to pull cooling air through the steering tower and frame rails.

• Alc said thank you

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 08:30 PM

Sounds like my PK I just tore down. Flywheel side all enclosed with hydro coolers and such in same spot. Does the job I guess, but PIA when something needs to come out and work on it.  The engine is full of grass clippings under shrould, haven't had off yet. Wonder if from mouse that just found it started and was handy for the nest?  My sceen is also missing IF it even had one, don't know that for sure yet either.

• Billy M said thank you

#10 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • 346 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 10:34 AM

Sounds like my PK I just tore down. Flywheel side all enclosed with hydro coolers and such in same spot. Does the job I guess, but PIA when something needs to come out and work on it.  The engine is full of grass clippings under shrould, haven't had off yet. Wonder if from mouse that just found it started and was handy for the nest?  My sceen is also missing IF it even had one, don't know that for sure yet either.

Yep, a mouse had been in my shroud as well.  I had to repair some wiring that had the insulation chewed off.  I keep plenty of snap traps in the garage and barn, especially in the winter.  Use Tootsie Rolls for bait.  It works great!  :D  I stay away from poisons to keep the mouse-eating animals safe.

All the damage on this machine was from the previous owner.  I haven't had any mouse damage under my watch.  Mice LOVE to chew the wires on Elec-Traks.  It's better to be on the offensive end when dealing with mice.