8 replies to this topic

#1 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,519 Thanks
  • 734 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 07:08 PM

Pulling the steering wheel with my version of a pulling jig , and how I repair and improve ( IMO) the steering column bushing regardless of whether you replace the nylon bushing ,the jig is a 1/2" piece 4140 plate cut out drilled and tapped to 1/4-20, a couple grade 8 socket head bolts, a grade 8 3/8" rod coupling with one end rounded to fit down thru wheel as the pulling process is accomplished . This steering shaft had the threaded stub snapped off short so I drilled and tapped it for a 1/4-20 bolt , IMO with the keyway and the shaft being tapered I feel it's plenty of hold strength.

The bushing is simply a 3/4" flat washer which fits down in the column with clearance to the housing ( right amount to slide in and remove) and a cat 2 to 1 top link reducer ( TSC purchase) drill the washer out to 1" , plum it up in the vise having it protrude correct amount to center washer ( or close enough) weld the washer to the bushing, drop it in the housing it will ride there and keep your steering shaft centered and supported whether or not you replace the nylon bushing. I media blast the shaft , give it two coats of POR 15 , give it some graphite lubricant or similar and reassemble , I've done this to most of my large frames and really like the results.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, January 10, 2016 - 07:16 PM.

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, wilberj and 11 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 07:36 PM

Good repair!

To replace the nylon bearings I've interchanged them to a flanged ball bearing that sits right inside where the nylon goes, everyone seems to be happy with the ones I sold so far, they should last forever but I really like your idea to reinforce the design!

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 08:08 PM

Excellent,

Thank you for the tips and very thorough walk through procedure. This will come in handy for many.

• WrenchinOnIt and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#4 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,519 Thanks
  • 734 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 08:39 PM

Flanged Bearing aye ? now you tell me :poke: I'm ​very disappointed in myself for not thinking of it :wallbanging: I'm going back to the garage now , head low, lamenting my wasted day fully realizing I'm to the point in my career I shouldn't be wasting any. I'm going to dust off the old school McMaster-Carr catalog/book all ten pounds of it, spend the next several days memorizing it...... ah screw it .. i'd forget what I looked at anyways... flanged bearing huh... what a buzz kill , but GREAT friggin idea ! I shall bush no more. Doc you the man :worshippy1:

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, January 11, 2016 - 12:46 PM.

• Bolens 1000, fonz3482, blackjackjakexxix and 5 others have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 10:53 AM

Flanged Bearing aye ? now you tell me :poke: I'm ​very disappointed in myself for not thinking of it :wallbanging: I'm going back to the garage now , head low, lamenting my wasted day fully realizing I'm to the point in my career I shouldn't be wasting any. I'm going to dust off the old school McMaster-Carr catalog/book all ten pounds of it, spend the next several days memorizing it...... ah screw i'd forget what I looked at anyways... flanged bearing huh... what a buzz kill , but GREAT friggin idea ! I shall bush no more. Doc you the man :worshippy1:

You didn't waste time if you learned something. You did a great job and got to show a clever way to fix it. You've also planted a few ideas in my head for future problems. Nice shop tools too. There will always be better ways to do things. That is one of the great strengths of GTT, we share experience and ideas for the good of us all. Good Luck, Rick
  • WrenchinOnIt and Paulgo have said thanks

#6 HT20D OFFLINE  

HT20D
  • Member No: 75535
  • 31 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 10:09 AM

Any idea where I can find the nylon bushing (1720134)?

Or any info on the flanged ball bearing?

My nylon bushing is toast. Thank you.

#7 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,519 Thanks
  • 734 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 06:30 PM

Any idea where I can find the nylon bushing (1720134)?
Or any info on the flanged ball bearing?
My nylon bushing is toast. Thank you.

Check with site sponsors who specialize in Bolens (Top of Forum page) or PM Classic Bolens he sold me mine, I have switched over to flanged bearings, I won't be able to access a make and part number till Tuesday.

#8 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 02, 2016 - 07:34 PM

If classic Bolens dosent have OEM , I have the flanged replacements

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#9 Deerlope OFFLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 402 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted July 03, 2016 - 04:55 AM

I also have a few of the flange nylon bushings that I had lathed from a stick of nylon. I had extras made and now that health issues have set in I am selling of a lot of spare parts.
  • WrenchinOnIt said thank you