Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo

well my son's gonna be PO'd (peeling/lifting paint)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 04:32 PM

My son has a Cub Original that he bought in pieces 5-6 years ago at an auction that he has sandblasted and repainted, reassembled, and just put gas in the tank this morning for the 1st time since I have seen it all back together.  We both had some running to do, and plan was to fire it up when we got back.
I got back 1st and unloaded my newest find, into the garage and noticed a spot under the front of the "O".

I investigate, and see gas dripping from the outlet side of the glass bowl filter. (shutoff was screwed in, too so it should have been off)  This machine has solid line with compression fittings for a fuel line.

It was "just a drip" but it leaked enough to lift his brand new paint job right off the frame just below the carb.  
I'm PO'd too knowing the work that went into that thing and knowing that he'd paid IH dealer price for that paint, too.  got the OEM paint for it..... and had it sprayed on with a gun, this as no 99 cent rattle can job.

I know he's gonna want to pull it all apart again and do it over..... but not gonna be happy about it.

so what caused the paint to lift? Yeah I know, the gas leaking onto it; but we have all seen machines painted, gas spilled and NOT have this happen.  I wouldnt think this to be a problem of paint prep as it was sandblasted. And the paint was applied with hardener mixed in. so where did this paint job go wrong?

• Chris11, Cvans and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 04:53 PM

Spray can paint will almost always lift with gas.  Even gun paint sometimes does, but I've never had bulk gun paint lift from gas when also adding hardener.  I always use either straight enamel or acrylic enamel, both with wet-look hardener.

Being he used hardener I am as surprised as you that it lifted!  Why it did, I have no idea.  

• 101 senior, Chris11 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#3 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,628 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 05:06 PM

It could have been the paint sealer or primer, Did he use any metal etch primer? I had that happen on my panzer engine.it really sucks. I'm sorry to hear.

• Gtractor, 101 senior, dodge trucker and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 678 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 05:07 PM

Paint sprayed in the wrong environment will let moisture leach in and when hardening that moisture will leave microscopic pores that leave the surface open to letting solvents such as gas in which leads to your lifting problem! This is why a descent spray booth with humidity control are essential to a solid paint job. We used to spray the squadron logos on our aircraft outside in Hawaii and the humidity would almost always lead to the logos lifting behind the engines as the leftover fuel that didn't burn off would get on them. We would have to repaint them frequently as taking the planes off the flight line was not an option. Sorry this happened to you guys it is always a upsetting thing to find your hard work ruined, especially due to environmental factors beyond your control. Eric.
  • 101 senior, Chris11, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#5 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 05:16 PM

well it was sprayed at a high school career center body shop in a spray booth. No I do not think he used a metal etch, do not remember.

We'd heard that the Case IH paint was made by Valspar, so as I remember we used their equipment enamel primer.

I do not think the body shop teacher thought much of the job as it is "just a lawnmower, ya know"  and I do not think that he had the class put much into it,  we were not happy with the finish as it was a very dry "sheen" when we got it back from them. So much so that my kid put it into the attic and "forgot about it" for a while, it was sprayed while he was in high school and he's been out 4 years now.  We had delivered it to them straight from having had it sandblasted the day before. so it was fresh bare steel.

When he decided to pull it all down from the attic and get going again, I had asked a neighbor that used to paint cars, to see what he could do with it. I had asked my son to go get a new fresh quart of the same paint he'd used initially, and I had also asked him to at a minimum scuff it up good with a Scotch Brite  before he took it to the neighbor.  When we'd gotten it back from him, it looked GOOD.  He painted it on a plywood bench in the back yard on a hot dry summer day, used an HVLP gun. 

In the 4 or so years between the high school kids spraying it and its 2nd coat, it sat in the attic out of sunlight, no moisture, etc, all still in pieces.

this neighbor used to paint everything that  wasn't nailed down, every mower, tiller, shovel in the garage and then some. And I myself have beat on some of what he's painted and never a chip or scratch.

I know that when the guy down the street painted, it hardener was used, he don't paint anything without it. I can't remember if it got used when the high school body shop did it initially. This don't make sense, but the neighbor guy even likes using hardener in primer. He didnt prime this machine, but shortly later in the summer,he painted my Swisher trailmower, he did that one from bare steel on up. and that's when he said he uses hardener in primer as well.....

Edited by dodge trucker, January 10, 2016 - 05:30 PM.

• Chris11 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 678 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 06:53 PM

Painting can be different on every try, I have a lot of time in the booth and my paint does not always turn out perfect. The fact that it was dull from the highschool paint job tells me that something went wrong with the job done there, and if the original paint took in any moisture even if it was sanded and painted later that moisture could leave a gap between boding layers that would cause the new paint to lift and not properly bond. Again sorry to hear this and good luck getting it looking good, my opinion would be to re strip and paint the tractor as the first job may have doomed any future coats of paint. Your prep and first layer is the most important!
  • Chris11, dodge trucker and HANKG have said thanks

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 07:06 PM

Usually its the primer that causes the lift when exposed to gasoline.  I never use primer on gas tanks or under the carb. area where gas is prone to drip.    Doesn't matter if the job is rattlecan, tractor paint, or automotive paint. 

• Chris11, Cvans and dodge trucker have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 08:06 AM

Was it the new soy based paint that is supposed to save the environment? Good Luck, Rick

#9 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 08:31 AM

How long was it painted until the gas dripped on it it takes a few months to cure good enough to resist it

#10 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 08:38 AM

Paint wasn't fully cured

#11 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 10:16 AM

If the gas had alcohol, and it's exposed for more than a few minutes, it can even lift urethane paint.

#12 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 10:24 AM

.... one more "benefit" of the ethanol gas   :wallbanging:

• Gtractor and dodge trucker have said thanks

#13 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 01:36 PM

Paint wasn't fully cured

Paint wasn't fully cured

Well how long does that take? I mean the original coat was laid.onto fresh sandblasted metal 5or 6 years ago and put into the attic. It got pulled down scuffed and the 2nd coat laid on this past summer, with hardener. That was at least 5 months ago and gas put in the 1st time just the other day.

#14 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 01:36 PM

.... one more "benefit" of the ethanol gas   :wallbanging:

Well around there is nothing else available.