• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 KiltedKurmudgeon OFFLINE  

KiltedKurmudgeon
  • Member No: 79454
  • 13 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 03:02 PM

Hey all. I've been lurking here for a while and finally registered.

I picked up a 16hp 1972 MW GIL 33144A a few weeks back with a front mounted blade. So far I like the tractor. Some parts of it make my '66 Sears tractor look like a toy! It needs rear tires and a little work. So far I've replaced the ignition switch, gone through all the wiring and fixed a few shorts and potential shorts, and cleaned up the points so it has spark. Engine has excellent compression. The inside of the tank looks brand new, which really surprised me. Carb kit, filter, fuel shutoff valve, throttle and choke cables, and ammeter should come in next week. The only other obvious problem I've found is that I need new bushings for the front spindles and haven't found them in stock anywhere. Tomorrow I'll cross-reference the part numbers and see if there's a substitute. That, and I need either a fresh tetanus shot or a new seat. I think I'll go for both, though. 

I've picked up some good info on these tractors here and finally joined in. I'd also like to thank those who have uploaded manuals. These things aren't hard to work on, but knowing the specs and having original part numbers saves a lot of headaches.

1426625_1676202205981013_513844440188550

1931361_912146802155355_7838131942736256

12417581_914545745248794_252443410330123

• CRFarnsworth, Traill95, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 03:36 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! That's a nice looking survivor you have there!

• boyscout862, 637Yeoman and KiltedKurmudgeon have said thanks

#3 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 05:36 PM

Welcome to Gttalk!
That's a neat looking machine!
Who made it?
Briggs engine?
I don't understand the pulley system on it.
Is that a set up for a blower?

Joe
  • boyscout862, 637Yeoman and KiltedKurmudgeon have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 06:16 PM

Welcome to Gttalk!
Who made it?
Briggs engine?

Joe

It's a Gilson built machine.

• boyscout862, Rock farmer, 637Yeoman and 1 other said thanks

#5 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 07:50 AM

Welcome to Gttalk!
Who made it?
Briggs engine?

Joe

The pulley setup is the PTO.  There is a short belt that runs the top pulley, which in turn runs whatever PTO attachment belt is installed.  Only the short belt is tensioned or released, so it lasts forever.  It is a Gilson built machine, a MW branded S series.  Very solid and underated machine.

• Rock farmer and KiltedKurmudgeon have said thanks

#6 KiltedKurmudgeon OFFLINE  

KiltedKurmudgeon
  • 13 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for the welcome.

So far I'm impressed with this tractor. I'm really happy about the Briggs on it. 32ci, with a long stroke and good torque. Just what I need...once I get it running. I've worked on a few others like it in the 10-14hp range and they pulled like beasts, so this one should be great. Sadly, a previous owner replaced the variable speed pulley with a fixed one. If I find the VS at a good price I'll buy it and fix it up. This thing has good gear ratios so it's not needed but the "cool factor" is hard to resist. I read on another forum that S-series Gilsons are like tanks, only harder to break. I broke a few tanks in the Army, so challenge accepted! :D

I'm keeping my eyes out for a snow blower. It came with a front mounted blade, but I'd like to have both. I have another blade with a tweaked mount that might become a belly blade this spring. I'm also on the lookout for a tiller attachment but I might just build one. I have a couple of hydraulic pumps and some misc. controls and actuators at my dad's shop. Next time I visit I will probably haul all that back with me along with my 66 Sears and 14hp Ariens. I'm not sure where I'll put it all, but I'll make room.

Oh, and I need to source out some nice lights to replace the missing ones. It just doesn't look right without them hanging off the sides of the hood.

Edited by KiltedKurmudgeon, January 12, 2016 - 12:10 AM.

#7 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 09:18 AM

The Variable Speed is the only weak point. Both of mine have been removed. You don't need it, the trans has a creeper gear anyway. The problem is, the VS setup needs to be periodically lubed, but there is no provision for that outside of complete disassembly. I would pull off the right angle gear box, clean it out, and re-lube it with JD Cornhead grease. That box originally was packed with standard wheel bearing grease, if it has never been cleaned out, it is probably in a solid clump. You have to be on top of maintenance with these Gilson tractors, as most parts are NLA. The trans is a standard Peerless 2300, though.
  • KiltedKurmudgeon said thank you

#8 jimmy G OFFLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 312 Thanks
  • 242 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 05:18 PM

Look under the seat for a hydraulic pump, mine came with one and most I have seen did,the VS pully is as said above and mine no longer has it either
  • KiltedKurmudgeon said thank you

#9 KiltedKurmudgeon OFFLINE  

KiltedKurmudgeon
  • 13 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 06:10 PM

Look under the seat for a hydraulic pump, mine came with one and most I have seen did,the VS pully is as said above and mine no longer has it either

That was one of the first things I checked when I went to check it out. No pump. It may have had one at one time. Fortunately, that's something I have available. Whether any of the actuators I have on hand will fit where I'd like is another matter, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I'm still waiting on cables and a carb because UPS seems to think "Two-Day Air" means "sometime in the next couple of weeks."  I was going to kit it, but the float has a hole in it and the butterfly rod had elongated the holes. I'm not fond of soldering floats if I can get a replacement. By the time I add in a float and bushings on top of the kit it's only about five bucks less than a reman carb so I went that route. When I get around to it I'll rebuild this one and send it to my dad's shop so he'll have one on hand. He's shipping me some misc. parts, so I figure it's the least I can do since he's allowed me to take up a bunch of useful and cash-generating room in his shop with my junk and a toolbox the size of a compact car for the last few years.

I've read about the PITA maintenance of the VS pulley. It's definitely not needed, and would probably just become a headache at some point, but I still want to play with it. If I find one I might even concoct a mount for it on my Sears. It's a good tractor but half the time I find myself wishing it was geared just a little higher or lower depending on what I'm doing at the time. Either that or I find a 10hp for it instead of the 8hp.

• Rock farmer said thank you

#10 PGHsteelworker OFFLINE  

PGHsteelworker
  • Member No: 50166
  • 89 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 10:30 PM

Pic of gilson built Montgomery wards with hydraulic lift and a working variable speed pulley. Click on pic for full size,2012-04-09_16-05-34_403.jpg

• jimmy G and KiltedKurmudgeon have said thanks

#11 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,519 Thanks
  • 3,394 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 08:47 AM

I traded one like that, blade and all, last spring as part of the deal for my PowerMax loader. Nice tractors.

#12 KiltedKurmudgeon OFFLINE  

KiltedKurmudgeon
  • 13 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 12:28 PM

Pic of gilson built Montgomery wards with hydraulic lift and a working variable speed pulley. Click on pic for full size,attachicon.gif2012-04-09_16-05-34_403.jpg

Interesting. Simple drive for the pump. Mine doesn't even have a pulley there. After doing some more looking I've found that the "B" model was all manual and didn't come with any of that.

I was actually thinking about reworking the PTO up front to drive hydraulics since I probably won't be using the PTO anyhow and there is plenty of room, but this is much simpler. I had planned on putting the reservoir where yours is stock, and putting the pump there shortens my return and pickup lines which isn't a bad thing at all. I have a couple of Vickers pumps but I'm waiting for my dad to dig them out of my junk in his shop and send me some figures on them. Kind of a PITA to be 350 miles from my personal salvage pile.

Once I find a pulley to go between the shaft flange and the right angle drive like yours has the rest is easy.

#13 worm5932 OFFLINE  

worm5932
  • Member No: 79828
  • 6 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 05:59 PM

did you ever get your carb and cables set up?  my cable is froze up on mine and someone at some time ran the wrong way.  it actually goes to the governor on the block, and goes the opposite direction on the dash.   its the one in the picture zip tied to the spark plug wire.  you got any pictures of how its supposed to go?  where did you get the cable?

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled1.png

Edited by worm5932, January 31, 2016 - 06:02 PM.

#14 PGHsteelworker OFFLINE  

PGHsteelworker
  • 89 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 10:21 PM

Worm5932, The throttle cable on my 16 horse is routed like what is shown in the center routing picture.

Briggs 16 (5).JPG

#15 PGHsteelworker OFFLINE  

PGHsteelworker
  • 89 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 04:49 PM

Worm5932, Here is a few pics of the throttle cable routing on the 16 horse briggs.20160201_141047.jpg 20160201_141107.jpg 20160201_141536.jpg 20160201_141605.jpg

I don't know why 2 of them are turned sideways.

You can save them and turn them on your computer.

Edited by PGHsteelworker, February 01, 2016 - 04:52 PM.