DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 08:37 PM

If you do the chain drive you need 2 idlers, to have the chain contact more of the driven sprocket.

Drive sprocket     around 1 idler    to front side of driven     around 2nd idler     back around drive sprocket

• poncho62, Gtractor and Chopperhed have said thanks

#17 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 09:58 PM

If you do the chain drive you need 2 idlers, to have the chain contact more of the driven sprocket.

Drive sprocket     around 1 idler    to front side of driven     around 2nd idler     back around drive sprocket

I agree to ensure better wrap around the driven sprocket, a larger idler is required. which may demand a second idler. It depends on the actual installation.
  • poncho62 said thank you

#18 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 10:14 PM

Chopperhead's post [#7] has the best option.  You can run chain or belt.  if you run belt wrap the belt farther around the driven pulley than his diagram shows to get more friction.  Also with that setup you can make adjustment to the idler to tighten your belt as needed where-as the standard figure 8 setup with guides may not allow for belt adjustment. 

Good Luck

P.S.  I still like Ray's idea better...   move south,  far south!  :wave: 

I disagree with the use of a belt as you describe, as the back (flat side) of the belt will have to be against a flat driven pulley. 

To transfer the torque needed to run a blower, the "vee" of the belt should ride in a "vee" pulley.

• poncho62 and Gtractor have said thanks

#19 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,592 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 06:57 AM

Thats why I recommended the belt be wrapped farther around the driven pulley. 

OR

You could use a double sided V-belt.  A little more expensive but would grip better.

https://www.jdv-belt...DED V-BELTS.pdf

Or as I stated,  just use a chain drive. 

• poncho62 and Alc have said thanks

#20 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 09:30 AM

Set up something like a tiller reversing settup, two pulleys with belts on them touching at one point will change the direction of rotation.

#21 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,405 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 02:11 PM

None of these ideas are that hot for a blower, and the rear pto on the Fords are screwing at crankshaft speed! So chains are going to be crazy noisy and scary to be around at those speeds. Also the blower needs to be slowed down to get any kind of power to it. I think the mule drive is your best option, you can use either pulley on the engine clutch too.
If you use a belt to a jack shaft, then out the back to the blower via anothwr mule setup walla the best of both worlds.
Or do what I did to run my Bolens tiller, run deck belt to jackshaft mounted to deck lift, then to right angle gearbox and then to your blower via driveshaft. The right angle gear box off a bolens blower for the xl series would be what you need, or the gearbox from your lgt 100 is the same. I have done this to run my tiller and itworked awsome, only issue i had was lifting the tiller to high and binding the joints, once i figured the linkage out so it didnt over extend it worked great. I bet it would be killer with a bolens blower on the rear.

Edited by skyrydr2, January 11, 2016 - 02:23 PM.

• poncho62 said thank you

#22 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 04:15 PM

Build this...problem solved!  :D

http://www.hobby-mac...r-gearbox.8928/

• limebuzz and Bruce Dorsi have said thanks

#23 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 06:15 AM

Thanks for all the good suggestions guys.....Like I said, this is just something I am playing with and dont want to spend any money on it (that means I dont have any money), so I am just going to try the figure 8 belt bit. If it burns up the belt, so be it, I will figure that out when the time comes. Will post progress

• limebuzz said thank you

#24 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 08:36 AM

Do you have the room to do a "snapper drive" (one wheel driven by another one)? It doesnt have to a 90* drive. The PTO  clutch would be a lever that brings them together. Cheaper than fabbing a gear box and I think the figure 8 belt would be hard to disengage without wanting to jump off the pulleys

#25 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 07:51 PM

Billy M, quite a site there and big talent working on that. Hard to find any place to do little things with machining anymore that aren't way over my limit. Maybe I should join that group and see if things could be bartered for, ha!  If I had machines to make things, I'm sure I would get almost done and pull wrong lever, wrong setting or whatever and have the thing wrecked in the last procedure or close, have to start over.