• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 12:38 PM

I have a little project I am considering to be driven off the PTO shaft of my LGT Ford. Trouble is, the shaft turns in the wrong direction. I am considering using a belt in a figure 8 configuration with some sort of guide in the middle to keep the belt separated. I am sure the belt wont last as long as normal. 
The pulleys will be about a foot apart.

Any thoughts on this?

• chieffan said thank you

#2 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 12:51 PM

I have seen something similar on brush cutting mowers  (Bachtold for instance) that run the belt like you suggest so I guess it would be possible/ and so many mule drives that run belts around a 90* corner  but I'd be thinking where I could come up woth some kind of gearbox setup to reverse direction, that would seem a bit less cumbersome than what you are suggesting.

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 01:14 PM

Thanks....The mule drive idea is a thought too....could go 180 degrees wrap on it so belt hits pulley from other side....would be a long belt though. 

#4 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 879 Thanks
  • 493 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 01:43 PM

If you've got room to double back over a mule drive at either end that's probably your best bet.

Another thing you could do:

Your belts will be 1/2 turned where they cross at the center.  You could place a pair of idler pulleys, each side of center, to deflect the belt a bit where it crosses itself.

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 03:04 PM

A lot of the older farm equipment used crossed belts that way.  Usually the pulleys were further apart.  You won't be out much if it don't work but don't use a coged belt.

• poncho62 said thank you

#6 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 04:08 PM

A lot of the older farm equipment used crossed belts that way.  Usually the pulleys were further apart.  You won't be out much if it don't work but don't use a coged belt.

Why not?....then it could make engine sounds like when I used to put playing cards in my bike spokes....... :D

Actually, what I want to do is mount the auger section of a walk behind snow blower to the rear of my tractor. That way I will have a blade on the front and blower on the back for when I need to move the snowbanks back.
Just an idea I am toying with

• limebuzz, Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#7 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 04:27 PM

Actually depending on what you want to do, a chain and sprocket setup might work better. It would take three sprockets. With the driven sprocket running on the back side of the chain and return off a third idler

reverse drive chain.png

Edited by Chopperhed, January 10, 2016 - 04:27 PM.

• poncho62, Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#8 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 05:24 PM

Lots of Speedex decks had crossed belts, sometimes pairs even. Often wondered if they worked. Where I had seen was on old decks not on tractors and ruff, but the belts and pulleys seemed to still be in tack.  They were same size and about a foot or close apart.

• poncho62 and Alc have said thanks

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 05:30 PM

They key is to run the belts so they dont touch at the center, with the top of the line Kevlar belts I dont see why you couldnt make it work , here's some crossed belts on my Bolens deck

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN6485.JPG

• poncho62, Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#10 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 05:59 PM

They key is to run the belts so they dont touch at the center, with the top of the line Kevlar belts I dont see why you couldnt make it work , here's some crossed belts on my Bolens deck

Trouble with mine is that the 2 pulleys would be on the same plane, not at 90 degrees

Was thinking about the chain idea too......will see when I start to piece this together

• Alc said thank you

#11 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 06:18 PM

I did it on a little lawn tractor that I converted to electric, a fig 8, the belt does rub on itself, so far it hasn't failed after a few yrs of occasional use. BUT not much power is going through it, a snow blower is gonna use a lot more power. ???

• poncho62 and Alc have said thanks

#12 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 06:29 PM

Get your self a blower like something off a craftsman and run it under the machine off the mule like it was pointing out the front , but out the back, no changes needed it will work as it should. You just need to fit it is all.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 07:05 PM

One of those 6 edged belts might work better??

#14 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 879 Thanks
  • 493 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 07:35 PM

Look at the picture Bolens1000 posted.  Now imagine the pulley on the deck isn't the destination - but an idler.  With another half turn beyond it going to your driven pulley you'd be in business.  Problem is your drive and driven pulley are so close together that idler would have to be a very small diameter or the belt angles would be too steep.

Now instead of one center idler imagine two - one above the other.  The belt runs out over one and back over the other.  Now you can move their shafts away from the belt until the belt almost touches as it passes itself.  You've created an almost 0 diameter center idler.  You're also going to want to angle them a bit so the belt runs straight through them.  That's the idea I was trying to propose.

I threw together a sketch - hope it helps clear up what I'm saying.  Those idlers just push the belt a little bit - so it passes itself.  In fact, you might only need one to do the job, put it on the slack side.

Attached Thumbnails

• fig8.jpg

Edited by MiCarl, January 10, 2016 - 07:37 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and Alc have said thanks

#15 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,630 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 07:51 PM

Chopperhead's post [#7] has the best option.  You can run chain or belt.  if you run belt wrap the belt farther around the driven pulley than his diagram shows to get more friction.  Also with that setup you can make adjustment to the idler to tighten your belt as needed where-as the standard figure 8 setup with guides may not allow for belt adjustment. 

Good Luck

P.S.  I still like Ray's idea better...   move south,  far south!  :wave: 

Edited by Gtractor, January 10, 2016 - 07:52 PM.

• Chopperhed said thank you