LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 08:47 AM

I have a couple of Dewalt 18v Nicad batteries that have had it. I just hate the cost of new ones. I keep seeing the site telling how to renew them for free. Has onto each actually done this? How do I know which terminal is positive?
  • hamman, Chopperhed and Jazz have said thanks

#2 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 08:59 AM

I have a pair of the Milwaukee extended life batteries with the same problem.

It can be done, and I'm still trying to figure out how. My batts are Lithium Ion, not Ni Cad, so the process is different.

You can buy new individual cells, and install them yourself, if you have the skills.

Figuring out polarity is easy with a digital multimeter if the cell has any voltage at all.

set the meter to dc volts, touch the probes to the battery contacts, if the reading is negative then swap the contacts, test again, mark the contact touching the red probe

• hamman, HDWildBill, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 10:10 AM

Go to Youtube and type in cordless battery rebuild ( or something like that) it gives you a step by step version of how to do it. I have several Makita , and Craftsman batteries I want to repair. Most time  ( so they say) there are just a couple of batteries that are bad that need to be replaced. When you find the bad battery  (s) you solder them off and solder in the new one (s). I've talked to guys who have done this and they say it works good. I just haven't done it yet.

Roger

• HDWildBill and dodge trucker have said thanks

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 10:13 AM

yup  I cant figure out how/why Dewalt, Milwaukee, etc think it's OK to charge the same (or more!) for "a" replacement battery than it cost for a new cordless drill, WITH 2 new batteries AND a new charger too.....

They need to make an "adapter shoe" so you can use the newest battery they have out on the older cordless tools. I have a ~10 year old Milwaukee 18V that still works fine, but 3 of the 4 batteries I have for it wont even take a charge. and all I can get from Milwaukee today to replace it?  I cannot find a single, new Milwaukee tool, corded or cordless that is made somewhere besides China/ which opens another can of worms.

• Gtractor, hamman, LilysDad and 3 others have said thanks

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 10:37 AM

Buy a RIDGID...their batterys are warrantied for life!

• hamman and Jazz have said thanks

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 11:18 AM

Buy a RIDGID...their batterys are warrantied for life!

Thanks! When my present drill unit craps out, I'll look into it. I just can't see throwing away good stuff 'cuz the manufacturer wants to rip me off.
  • hamman, KC9KAS and dodge trucker have said thanks

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 11:23 AM

[quote name="KC9KAS" post="641328" timestamp="1452440244"]Buy a RIDGID...their batterys are warrantied for life![/quote

Thanks! I'll remember that whenever my present unit craps out. I just can't see throwing away good stuff just 'cuz the maker wants to rip me off.
  • KC9KAS and dodge trucker have said thanks