#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 08:15 PM

NO! No! I mean it is in Boxes to store tractor, yeah, that's it.. Went out to garage to put on new tire on Speedex, took 10 minutes, then was looking at the new PK setting there ready to dig into. Well a little tinkering got carried away and now much is off the chassis. Found engine is stuck, some water rolled out when I tipped it on floor. Hydro turns fine that I can tell. Wonder if you guys can ID this hydro, looks diff than what was in earlier tractors. They were KYB brand and they said obsolete when I asked on them. This one looks like diff brand, what you think? Haven't found a tag or stampings yet, and don't know where to look either. What a Maze of Hoses to find the routes again. Nothing comes off this tractor w/out removing another tin or assembly and bolts hidden and with NUTS on some of them you can barely reach. Glad to quit working on it and picked up to do games in house now. Here's some pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160109_180425.jpg
  • 20160109_180408.jpg
  • 20160109_194844.jpg
  • 20160109_194834.jpg
  • 20160109_194823.jpg
  • 20160109_194816.jpg
  • 20160109_194804.jpg
  • 20160109_180518.jpg
  • 20160109_180507.jpg
  • 20160109_180451.jpg
  • 20160109_180443.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, January 09, 2016 - 08:19 PM.

• Gtractor, MH81, HANKG and 2 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,135 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 09:02 PM

Wow !  Hope you have a drawing or something to get all those hoses back where they belong.  Going to be an interesting ride if they don't !

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 12:56 AM

Most of them have diff size fittings on each hose at say the ends that go into the steering box. Think so they can't be mixed and set up wrong. A few are just slip-on ends, return hoses probly, but most are the right lengths, I won't mess up.  There IS a hose layout in the manual I know.  Wiring is gonna be same mess, have wiring diagram I made in color for another tractor that is the same one I hope. Again manual has that w/out colors shown, but labeled. NOW, gotta have warm day to go out and power wash this much to start. SO.....probly Spring before I'm doing much more on it. I can work on the dash fixing and cleaning/painting the smaller parts now. I need to take apart another one for the engine and steering parts, so gotta do it all-over again, bummer! One bolt in the drive shaft (allens) is stripped out in drive side, so gotta get that out now, with pliers or ??? This thing is too big to put on my lift table with those huge tires on back and just plain to big. Back gets hurting real quick while working squatted down and on floor area. Is this FUN yet?

• MNGB said thank you

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,444 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 06:57 AM

I never saw a newer PK apart , it looks like the older style rear is used ?

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 07:53 AM

Sorry about the engine,  it turned over fine when I bought it with a socket/bar. I had it always covered when it sat outside for a while so not sure how water got in engine.

You made short work of it, probably one if the reasons I was putting it off haha

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 09:03 AM

The hydro looks to be Sundstrand series 15U, similar to what many JD (and other makes) use, except some differences, the most evident being the rear top section doesn't have cooling fins.

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 10:52 AM

Alc, that is Dana rear and similar bullgears, but IS different parts. AND, the engine is reversed in later years so it is designed to run opposite way, maybe just turned over?? I had an 85 chassis that I put in the old style drivetrain and had to flip over that center section so it would driver correct. It's a Butt-buggy I never use called Grumpy King. I even had to use the offset steering just like old ones to clear the trans and clutch then. Brakes about same, except the pedal actuations in front part, still used rods to them. These are similar, yet the pedals are on left side, but have similar rockshaft in the frame, just kinda backwards.  This has rear pto, which is missing the shaft between it in middle and to the front pto. I might just take that off, not sure, have no  use for it now at least.

Was thinking that drive was different brand. I'll have to look at it better. The other brand was just kind of a drive thru center and this one has the offset section in back to go down to the drive shaft thru a mount box that is not used on earlier ones, but more like what is seen on other brands. It does have a direct run shaft out the back, maybe for pto on others that has no use here, is way up in body of it. Those tires are monsters had to take them off to get gas tank and things off back. Wish I had some narrow ones to put on for rolling around garage while working on it. 6-bolt pattern, so not as common. Guess I"ll be putting it on the roll-around platforms for cars that I have others on, they are great for pushing into corners and dead areas easily.

• Alc said thank you