• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 haykarenhardy OFFLINE  

haykarenhardy
  • Member No: 63476
  • 49 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 09:56 AM

I want to try Linux and have downloaded three different distributions with USB creators, like http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

http://unetbootin.github.io/

One will let you install a few programs and save files with the usb drive, but is limited to 32 bit versions and seems easier for a novice, and the other will let you select from more distributions.

My question is if I install Linux as a dual-boot with windows 7, and do not like the linux distribution could I remove the linux and install another  Linux as a dual-boot with windows 7 unchanged?

Thank You

Stan

• Cvans, chieffan and mariets69 have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 09:59 AM

Stan, that is a good question that I would like to see the answer to.

• chieffan said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,322 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 10:21 AM

That sounds like a Travis, Bill, or some other Linux guy question
That being said, I would try PCLinuxOS. I believe you can do the DVD in 64
I did a DVD disc version and have been impressed.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 10:59 AM

Check this out!

• Cvans and chieffan have said thanks

#5 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 11:03 AM

Check this out!

What's the difference between 32 and 64 bit?

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 11:15 AM

That's another good question I have never figured out! Maybe this will help.

#7 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 11:38 AM

A simple analogy would be like your hands and sand. One hand 32 bit two hands 64 bit. With one hand you can only work with so much sand at one time but with two you can use so much more sand. Just switch sand grains for computer processes, memory,calculations,and such.

Edited by gopher, January 09, 2016 - 11:56 AM.

• MH81, KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#8 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 11:47 AM

A quick summary 32 bit systems can only access ram up to about 3.x gigs.  Any more installed is not used and is wasted.  64-bit access all 4 gigs (and more) at the expense of being a bit larger and requiring a bit more system resources.  For those of us with 8 or 12 or even 16 gigs or ram, 64 it is.

• MH81, KennyP, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#9 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 12:00 PM

I want to try Linux and have downloaded three different distributions with USB creators, like http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

http://unetbootin.github.io/

One will let you install a few programs and save files with the usb drive, but is limited to 32 bit versions and seems easier for a novice, and the other will let you select from more distributions.

My question is if I install Linux as a dual-boot with windows 7, and do not like the linux distribution could I remove the linux and install another  Linux as a dual-boot with windows 7 unchanged?

Thank You

Stan

A couple of points for consideration:

Working from the USB drive creates a Linux Live install that also allows you to save changes - this means that there are no changes made to the actual computer since the Linux install is running from and saved on the USB/flash drive.  This is a great option for those with little tech experience or fear of the unknown.  I'd recommend a 8 GB USB drive so you can install the Linux distro and have plenty of space to save stuff.

I would not be too worried about 32 bit to get your feet wet.

Yes, you can install a new Linux distro over the top of another... just back up the drive in case there is a date problem or user error.

• MH81, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#10 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 12:17 PM

Why can't you create a new partition on your Hard disk to store the LINUX?  Then all you do is direct your machine to ask what system you want to use on every startup..  Just a thought..

• MH81, KennyP, Trav1s and 1 other said thanks

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 12:53 PM

Eventually there will be no more 32 bit systems or at least very few.  M$ is already phasing out their support for 32 bit OS.  There are a lot of advantages to using a 64 bit OS.  Travis talked about one of the big benefits.  Look at the difference this way.  If you had 100 people you have to shuttle from the hotel to the convention center and you had a choice to use a car that will hold 6 or a van that will hold 12 which method will be the quickest.  Another way to look at it is what can handle more traffic a 2 lane country road or an expressway.

A 32 bit OS can run on a 64 bit computer but a 64 bit OS can not run on a 32bit computer hence Kenny the error's you got when you first tried Mint.

Stan, Yes you can replace one Linux distro with another.  You just need to remember what OS you have installed on what partition.  This is so you don't accidentally over write windows.  Which brings me to another point when installing 2 OS's.  Windows has to be installed first!  The reason is that Windows and M$ do not like to share so they do not have the option to install along side anything so the result will be that windows will wipe out any other install.  Also Windows does not have a boot menu.  So make sure you have windows installed first then install Linux and when Linux installed it will also install a Boot manager either Grub or LiLO, although I haven't seen LiLO used in a while.  The Boot manager will allow you to decide which OS to boot into. 

But if you are thinking about trying Linux I would suggest taking Travis' advice and use a USB drive to check out the different distro's and LInux in general.  I suggested to Stan to use Unetbootin  They have a windows version and all you have to do is plug your USB drive into the USB port and run UnetBootin.  It has a drop down at the top that will allow you to select a distro and it will download it for you and install it on to the USB drive or you can down load the ISO image your self (gives you a better choice of options) and use the text box down towards the bottom to choose the ISO image to use.  Then all you have to do is restart the computer, make sure the USB drive is first on the boot sequence in the BIOS.  Once you have chosen the distro you like and want to install it there is usually an Icon on the desktop to install it to the HDD.

• olcowhand, Bruce Dorsi, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#12 haykarenhardy OFFLINE  

haykarenhardy
  • Member No: 63476
  • 49 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 02:50 PM

Found a nice U-Tube video on PCLINUX 

https://www.youtube....RPKyOT_TqEu1svM

https://www.youtube....h?v=a8ECmQbstNk

Stan

• HDWildBill said thank you

#13 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 03:11 PM

For some reason I cannot get any of the Linux versions, Mint, Ubuntu. Peppermint, to install.  Always ask some strange questions I have no idea what they are talking about.  Peppermint is the only one that has a reasonable mouse speed.  The other two are blazing fast and double click is near impossible.  On Ubuntu now and other than mouse speed it is working.  I know I have mentioned this before.  found the mouse/touchpad control but it does nothing.  The system mouse control is as slow as it will go.  Short 1/2" of mouse movement covers the screen.  Might be OK for you younger guys but wait till Uncle Arthur pays a visit and don't go home.  Will be a different story then.  Besides, what usefull purpose does it serve to have a "flying mouse" ?

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 03:19 PM

Excellent  :thumbs:  Thanks for sharing those links.

#15 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 03:21 PM

For some reason I cannot get any of the Linux versions, Mint, Ubuntu. Peppermint, to install.  Always ask some strange questions I have no idea what they are talking about.  Peppermint is the only one that has a reasonable mouse speed.  The other two are blazing fast and double click is near impossible.  On Ubuntu now and other than mouse speed it is working.  I know I have mentioned this before.  found the mouse/touchpad control but it does nothing.  The system mouse control is as slow as it will go.  Short 1/2" of mouse movement covers the screen.  Might be OK for you younger guys but wait till Uncle Arthur pays a visit and don't go home.  Will be a different story then.  Besides, what usefull purpose does it serve to have a "flying mouse" ?

Perhaps watching some of these video's would help you to understand what is being asked.  Here are a set of video's from the ask mr wizard website that may be of help.