• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 448 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 09:30 PM

What about the ACR. automatic compression release Could that cause this problem if it's faulty ?

#17 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 10:00 PM

This may sound dumb, but did you try a new spark plug? Sometimes if the spark is getting weak, if you put a load on it it will miss. Which could also be the wiring ground or condenser like stated above. The spark can look good when the plug is out but it changes under compression
  • James Bosma said thank you

#18 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • 448 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 11:09 PM

Was new about 10 hrs on it but that doesn't mean it's not faulty. Will get new plug and try that too
  • Tecumseh power said thank you

#19 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • 448 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 05:58 PM

Well today i pulled the engine and took it apart, When I got the tractor they said needed new head gasket but it also came with part of a complete gasket kit so I know the previous owner had the motor apart. Little voice inside told me to check.

Found the was zero end play in crank when specs calls for .003 to .020.

Corrected that problem

Pulled the cam and the A C R seems to be fine

Cleaned, lapped and set the valves

Cleaned the fuel pump

Got the engine reassembled and now just have to check and set ignition timing then install in the tractor and see if problems been fixed.

I think there was a few minor issues which caused this problem I am having

This one has a 3 point hitch and like to try plowing this year with it so it needs to run right

• olcowhand, DH1, limebuzz and 3 others have said thanks

#20 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 06:10 PM

Hope you get it sorted you so you can use it.  :thumbs:

#21 101 senior OFFLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 171 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 03:54 AM

Did you try to dip carb in gallon of gunk for 24 hrs then wash w/ warm water and blow air through it to dislodge anything that may have been there?  Just my 2 cents.Good luck. Hope you find the prob.

Edited by 101 senior, January 13, 2016 - 03:55 AM.

#22 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • 448 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted January 13, 2016 - 04:39 PM

I ruled out the carb by taking the one off my other Massey 14 and had same issue  other massey runs good on the other carb so I would have to say carb is good. Just used the other Massey to snow blow the driveway on Monday and no engine troubles 

Going to be putting the engine back in on Sat and will update. The engine looked real good inside and no ridge in cylinder so have to say engine is good. I am glad I took the engine apart due to finding no end play in crank  now endplay is within factory specs. Glad I have never worked it hard to get her hot or may have had some real big problems. 

• olcowhand and limebuzz have said thanks

#23 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 02:33 PM

A machinist I know that has a lot of experience with Kohler engines mentioned that use of a generic automotive coil can make these engines run goofy. He said that a genuine Kohler coil has a different style of winding that works better on single cylinder engines... I have never dissected one myself so I can only take his word, but he has built many winning pulling engines.

I know you mentioned changing the coil early on. Sounds like you have already ruled out several issues. You might want to try an OE Kohler coil to see if that helps?

#24 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • 448 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 07:55 AM

Will have to try the coil again i guess  reinstalled engine and issue still there  has to be coil or intake valve.  This is a good one as all normal fixes haven't fixed it.  has to be something stupid and weird. Will take coil from Massey 2 and try it next weekend. Shop is not at my house so I work on it on the weekends

Edited by James Bosma, January 18, 2016 - 07:59 AM.

• limebuzz and propane1 have said thanks

#25 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • 448 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 10:01 PM

Well no luck this weekend  have to look at the intake valve maybe bent or not seating properly

it lapped in ok but never know

#26 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 10:06 PM

Bummer. Hope you get it figured out.

#27 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 10:36 PM

Just a thought, but is it possible the connecting rod was installed backward? In the K series service manual it shows marks on the rod and cap that are supposed to be installed facing the flywheel side of the engine. I have no idea what would happen if they were installed backward but just throwing out another idea.
uploadfromtaptalk1453692928395.jpg

#28 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • 448 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 05:03 PM

RAJ  I had the piston out and is installed properly  notch on piston towards flywheel  hole in cap is on cam side of block as per the book.

Worked on her today and discovered something really neat.

My spark plug fires twice  once half way thru intake stroke and the 2nd time is in the correct spot just before top dead on compression.

When I first had it apart I failed to check the point lobe on the cam

Tomorrow I will be pulling the engine again to remove the cam and see what's up there.

Sometimes these issues are real fun

• RAJ said thank you

#29 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,101 Thanks
  • 3,194 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 07:15 AM

The rod coming out from the cam to the points sticking. Or did someone already mention that. Just a guess.

Noel

#30 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • 448 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted January 31, 2016 - 05:13 PM

Had a surprise with the engine today. I have it all apart at the moment and going to reassemble next weekend to the proper specs. Going to clean everything up nicely before reassembly and make sure nothing is sticking or stiff. While working on the engine today found everything to be in decent shape. I had counted the head bolts yesterday and found there was 10 head bolts.  At tea time this afternoon while looking at the Kohler K series repair manual I notice that the 14 hp has 9 head bolts and the 16 hp has 10 head bolts.

Had to go measure the bore and sure enough it was 3.75 inches which means a 16 hp engine

Then I went over to the other 16 hp Kohler we have and it had 10 head bolts  my other Massey 14 has 9 head bolts and the factory 14 hp Kohler tag

I guess the p o had changed engines and ended up with a 16 instead of a 14

Was nice surprise and now it could be carb issues since it has a 14 hp carb on it or are they the same for both the 14 and 16 hp engines

• RAJ and limebuzz have said thanks