• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 08:59 AM

I am off shortly to go fix my Massey MF14 number 1. Engine runs awesome till you put a load on it the it starts acting up big time, Almost seems as if timing changes. After engine stalls you can choke it and it will start right back up, Have already gone over electrical and changed carbs from Massey number 2, I'm glad I got the second one for Christmas as it now has the snow blower instead of the blade I just attached to it. Both are 1974 I am kind of leaning towards the balance gears are going, Any suggestions would be great if anyone has had this issue

Massey 1 is the nicely painted one

Massey 2 is the dull one

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1018.JPG
  • IMG_1017.JPG

• CRFarnsworth and chieffan have said thanks

#2 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 767 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 09:20 AM

How does it idle with no load on it? Does it hunt or surge at all? And how does it run wide open with no load? Any surging then?
  • chieffan and James Bosma have said thanks

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 09:28 AM

Fuel delivery problem?

#4 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1183
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 09:29 AM

Sounds like it is not getting enough fuel to the engine if it will start up by using the choke. Does it have a fuel pump on the engine? or just a fuel line to the carb? is tank shut off valve open all the way? Is there enough gas in the tank? I have a 14 without a fuel pump and if the tank is not  at least 1/3 full there is not enough gas for the engine to run right.

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 10:45 AM

Nice tractors you have. My 14 had an stuck exhaust valve. Only would act up when engine was hot, running under load, worked good with no load. And by hot, I mean normal engine temperature. Gas cap not venting to allow air in so gas can flow out .

Noel 

Edited by propane1, January 09, 2016 - 10:46 AM.

#6 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 12:41 PM

Exhaust valve has already been cleaned and reinstalled. Engine has no surging to speak of at any position of the throttle. Carb seems to be getting gas all the time. It has had this issue when I got it and thought I'd fixed it by changing the coil. One that was on it needed external resistor so replaced with a good coil dad had in the shop. When engine acts up there seems to be mechanical noise so that what made me think ball ace gears. Have the engine out now and seems to be on good shape inside.
This one has dad and I puzzled.
  • chieffan said thank you

#7 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 12:54 PM

When you changed carbs was the problem still there?

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 01:03 PM

Loose balance gears won't cause your symptoms.  Sounds like not enough fuel in the carb bowl when the governor opens the throttle for the load.  I'd check the entire fuel system starting by pulling the tank fuel line off at the fuel pump to check for full flow.  If flow is restricted, trash may be blocking the fuel tank outlet, or fuel cap not venting.  If full flow, then pull the pump apart.  The check valves tend to either gum up, or come loose from their base.  If check valves aren't working, hardly any fuel will be delivered to the carb.  In rare cases, the fuel pump arm that engages the cam lobe will be bent, not pushing the pump a full stroke.

#9 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 02:08 PM

Yes the problem was still there. If you idle down fast enough it will clear itself. When I got the tractor the original fuel tank had a hole so replaced tank and all new lines. Fuel pump seems to work normal. Can drive tractor all around and no issues. When I try to use a attachment it acts up. This tractor hadn't ran in 10 years before I got it.

#10 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 02:22 PM

When I put the carb of this one on the other there was no difference in that tractors performance so I don't think it was the card but will take a look at the fuel pump

#11 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 04:01 PM

Bad ground/connection at the condenser will cause trouble. Take the condenser off, clean up connection to the engine block. Check engine ground to frame. Set points at .022.

Noel
  • James Bosma said thank you

#12 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 04:28 PM

When I put the carb of this one on the other there was no difference in that tractors performance so I don't think it was the card but will take a look at the fuel pump

You don't need the fuel pump on a MF14 or 16, I have 2 MF16's not using the pump, gravity feed and it will run till the tank is empty.

Try bypassing it.

#13 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 05:12 PM

Will try bypassing the fuel pump tomorrow,  Took it apart today and the check valves are good and diaphram is good aswel.

I did find the exhaust vavle clearance is .020 and intake is .012  will adjust them tomorrow.

I purchased this tractor in the spring for a hell of a deal and never took the engine apart.

Had the rest of the tractor apart, cleaned, fixed, painted and decaled the tractor and now find engine troubles

You can move trailers around and drive it all over the place and will not act up

I attached the snowblower and seemed fine at first, then when we got snow and tried the blower she acted up

#14 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 05:13 PM

Head gasket leaking. Head bolts tight. ???

#15 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 07:24 PM

Yep head bolts were tight. Head gasket looks good. No blow by. This is a good issue. Evdrythibg I have tried and everyone has suggested has not fixed it. Only thing I haven't done is by pass the fuel pump.