14 replies to this topic

#1 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,867 Thanks
  • 2,788 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 04:37 PM

This is my friend and GTtalk member jablemans Porter cable Mark 1 GT, I hope he doesn't mind me posting this awesome photo of his restored machine. It is because of him that I was able to purchase one of these rare garden tractors to add to my collection of unusual GTsIMG_1235.JPG IMG_1236.JPG . It is not the first time this gentleman has pointed me in the right direction for cool GTs. Thanks J. When ya'll have a chance thank J  for his awesome restoration not me thanks  Hank

Edited by HANKG, January 08, 2016 - 05:02 PM.

• rustyoldjunk, Gtractor, Alc and 10 others have said thanks

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 05:21 PM

Gorgeous machine!!!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 05:23 PM

Nice looking tractor! Great job on that J!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • 4,867 Thanks
  • 2,788 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 05:45 PM

Better yet send J a pm thanking him please, Hank.

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 06:01 PM

Wow, nice job J. Front tires look big. What size are they ?? Any attachments. ?? Would never see that kind of tractor in my area.

Noel

#6 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 06:29 PM

I had the opportunity to buy a porter cable at an auction a few years back, not like that one but still a really neat old tractor.  like a fool I passed on it :wallbanging:   Nice looking machine and spectacular restoration.

Pete

• propane1 said thank you

#7 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 06:35 PM

Jason, that will look good with the mower deck or the snowblower I have! Of course it looks awesome now!
  • HANKG said thank you

#8 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 06:36 PM

Hank, where's the pics of yours??
  • KennyP said thank you

#9 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 06:56 PM

That tractor really looks good!

#10 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • 4,867 Thanks
  • 2,788 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 07:05 PM

Here are a couple Tom I'm just getting going on it. The PO was IMG_1237.JPG IMG_1238.JPG IMG_1239.JPG innovative as depicted in the wheel weights lol Note the absence of the seat and fenders.

Edited by HANKG, January 08, 2016 - 07:07 PM.

• MFDAC, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#11 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 661 Thanks
  • 385 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 07:07 PM

How does that song go................... She thinks my tractor sexy?  !!!!!  She not me !!

Very nice .

Patrick.

• HANKG and propane1 have said thanks

#12 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,471 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 07:35 PM

thanks everyone, hank you had me confused for a second I thought you finished yours in record time!!

anytime hank no need to thank me. Its another example how everyone you meet in this hobby is willing to help each other out.

not many on the site know that these tractors are kinda special to me this is the second one I redid. the first one was my wife's grandfathers and he owned for many years before it sat neglected for 30 or more years outside. that was the first major full restoration I did. during that restoration I found this website and another member had all the parts I needed and by chance he was picking up a tractor on the east coast and he and his wife hand delivered the parts all the way from Wisconsin!

fortunately for us my wife's grandfather was able to see the tractor restored. it's identical to this one. this one in the photo came from Delaware. I think I stripped off 8 or so layers of paint on it. I do have an original snowplow for it but there working days are long over
thanks everyone!
  • Alc, MFDAC, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#13 Bolens QT-17 OFFLINE  

Bolens QT-17
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77823
  • 119 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 07:45 PM

Very nice looking tractor! 

#14 kimclendenin OFFLINE  

kimclendenin
  • Member No: 84317
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 10:19 AM

Hi fellas,

I'm new to this site and I found it while looking for a Porter Cable tractor. I have one that I am returning to service after sitting many years as a half-track. I made it myself but got tired of it and want my old tractor back. I went with a Harbor Freight 6 1/2 hp. overhead valve. I've had pretty good luck with them in the past and they are mighty affordable. It fits under the hood nicely too. I am missing the sheet metal that covers the long belt and the vertical piece that covers the steering shaft. My hood is in pretty bad shape too but I do have a nice set of fenders. When I find out how to attach a photo I will get you guys a pic of the half track that I made. I had an old Wisconsin on it but it was just worn out so bad it's going to sit on a shelf for a while. I had one of these machines about 50 years ago and I loved it. My dad traded it to some bloke for an old Onan vertical twin water cooled generator that never did run. I am still mad at the old man for that. If any of you happen to know where there may be some sheet metal for one of these I sure would like to know about it.

Thanks,

Kim

#15 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,471 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 04:02 PM

welcome to the site, I own a few of these,finding sheet metal can be a challenge. luckily you have the hard parts to find hood and fenders. the floor pan and steering cover are interchangeable with a moto mower, massey executive types. if your handy enough your best bet is to make them. they are basic bends. we have a good contact who does the lettering kits.

if you can please forward me the serial number of the tractor. I keep a registry of the porter cables