• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 06:12 PM

Tough every where. Just to keep up in the hobbie is expensive. You guys know the cost of any thing you use in your shop, and I don't have to name them. So, this slows down projects and fun stuff to post. The hydraulic cylinder I put on my JD 140 this week cost about $150.00, but I had the cylinder and some fitting already bought last year, so not as much out of pocket all at once.

Noel
  • KennyP and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#17 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,227 Thanks
  • 5,070 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 06:25 PM

There are going to be a lot of diesel smoker's and side x side's for sale.

True there. I was really surprised when a lot of the salary guys were complaining that the week off they were going to be flat broke and have trouble paying bills.

If you can't take a week without pay you need to rethink you spending.
  • Bolens 1000, grnspot110, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#18 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 06:34 PM

I've been insanely busy with work. same story as many of you know. when positions don't get filled the workload gets piled on me. can't complain I got a great job.

I really haven't been doing much on my tractors breathing life into a simplicity 700. but that all kinda stopped for now since my other hobby injured me. I had a slip with an xacto knife and did a number on my left hand. I build scale model airplanes too. over 20 years of building them and on stupid slip. remember kids cut away from you

Edited by jabelman, January 08, 2016 - 06:37 PM.

• Alc, KennyP, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#19 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 06:52 PM

Too busy working right now. Just enough time to read the posts before falling asleep.
  • propane1 said thank you

#20 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,634 Thanks
  • 1,732 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 07:03 PM

Postings are way down. Most of us don't have snow and we don't have grass to mow. Has everyone else found something terribly interesting to occupy their time?

Ok I'll post something.  Rick

• propane1 said thank you

#21 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 07:05 PM

Wow jabelman, that must have been nasty, my mother always said , cut away from you, but like you and my self , it gets you some how. Nice job on the Porter Cable tractor.

Noel

#22 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 07:15 PM

I've just been working on my Landlord's in case we get enough measurable BLOWABLE snow. Sposed to get to low teens and snow all next week. Heres hoping.

#23 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 07:57 PM

I've been working on a trashed, worn out PK that I picked up in 2014. As usual, more parts need to be replaced than I thought. I just finished rebuilding the transmission, and I just honed a Briggs 23DFB block .020 oversize. I have the parts to rebuild the Ross steering box and new front spindle bushings to install. I guess this is my winter project now.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-52970-0-03691800-1407025914-1.jpg
  • 20151230_173351-1.jpg
  • 20151228_121520-1.jpg
  • 20151230_174134-1.jpg
  • 20151228_151034-1.jpg

• Alc, CRFarnsworth and LilysDad have said thanks

#24 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 10:52 PM

Still grinding on tree removal from front 3 acre pasture...year and a half so far but can see the end in sight. Briggs has held up good, knock on wood, I'm sure it'll be happy for the pending break.  Then have to do a full service on better-half's Onan powered mower.  Eh, nothing challenging about that, so far.

While I'm here though: Anyone have an idea for a guard on mule drive on my 917.255919? Branches etc keep getting into it and kicking the belt off. Solved a lot of it by dropping the belly mower and bush hogging, but there are times when I'd just as soon drive over everything and keep on going. 

#25 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 11:37 PM

We had over 10" of snow Wed. night so I spent yesterday shoveling the fluffy stuff off my paths between the buildings. Today I fired up the old J.D. 4040 with the big rotary blower and spent two hours clearing the roads and yard, barnyard, and a trail down through the bush  in case more firewood is needed. Other than that I wonder if everyone isn't just kind of played out after Christmas? I know all that go go go  really takes it out of me. I just want to sit quietly and read.

• shorty said thank you

#26 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 11:39 PM

I have a project going for a friend. Straightening and reinforcing the moldboard on a 4 wheeler snow plow( i think someone,not my friend as this was given to him, thought they were on a D-10 working in shot rock), then build a mount for the plow to attach to the wheeler. Built the winch mount today and ordered a forward/reverse solenoid and rocker switch to operate the winch. Have to relocate the skid shoe mounts as they won't let the new edge touch the floor and also welded some hard rod on the skid shoes. Final step will be to remove the winch cable and install a 3/4" wide nylon dog leash on the drum for plow duty.

After that my Dixon comes in to get some brgs replaced in the cone drive tranny. Have some other projects to keep me busy thru the winter.

Mike

• Alc said thank you

#27 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 08:02 AM

Postings are way down. Most of us don't have snow and we don't have grass to mow. Has everyone else found something terribly interesting to occupy their time?

I own a Ford so..... you know my time is sucked up with constant repairs. 

I have also got back on my laundry room build.

• HANKG and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#28 DBTechServ OFFLINE  

DBTechServ
  • Member No: 63697
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 02:00 PM

Not too much going on down here in Atlanta area, too many rainy weekends to get into garden area or do yard work. By the time I get home during the week, it's already dark.

#29 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 04:40 PM

I'm taking a break from working on the van that sprung a coolant leak..  It was seeping out of the back side of the timing cover and just getting to the dang thing was a major PITA!  took off the battery, fuse box, wiring harness plugs and box, cross member, water pump, power steering pulley pressed off, pump disconnected from the timing cover mount and the window washer pump/bottle just to get at the friggin thing..  Removed the right tire and access cover to gain access to the harmonic balancer.  I then proceeded to bust a 3 jaw puller trying to pull the balancer off!   :mad2:    :wallbanging:

I ordered the parts online and finally got them this week..  I looked around and see that a new style puller is out for the balancer,,  I wandered the web and saw the puller I needed..  I went to Pep Boys and rented one and it worked like a dream.  I also went to H/F and bought a power steering pulley press tool set along with another puller set to replace the busted one..  

Now I got the balancer off and pressed off the P/S pulley and removed the bolts and cover..  Next was the removal of all the old gasket material..  Access was a problem but after a few hours and many razor blades and H/D scraper sharpening's it was clean.  The cover is back on now and all I need to do now is put everything back together..  

Oh yeah-  I'm putting new plugs and wires on too because I looooooove a challenge! :wallbanging:  :mad2: ..  Hope it runs OK when/if I get done! :beer:   

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#30 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 04:46 PM

Plenty to do if I felt up to it.  But then it's now cold out, so it kind of limits what can be done. As to GT stuff, I couldn't hardly go any slower, but hopefully I get myself in gear soon.  Today I've been getting tax papers rounded up and paying bills.

• grnspot110 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks