19 replies to this topic

#16 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 08:55 AM

Congrats on the new job, it could always be worse

My brother in law just graduated from collage ( with a I.T degree) him and my sister had to pay 60 grand on his schooling, he graduated head of his class and even got a reward at his graduation for having the highest grades at the graduation. After all of that was said and done he got a job and he started last Monday. He is now getting around $12.00 a hour and was bored with the job on the third day.

So he's making $12.00 a hour while looking for a job

IT DEGREE!   I know Goldcorp was in dire need of IT people at a mine north of here...30+ IT required and positions just were not getting filled...sure its 350 miles up sphincter of Northwestern Ontario...experienced IT would be earning $130K? around here

http://www.goldcorp....ds/default.aspx

Edited by Jazz, January 09, 2016 - 09:02 AM.

• BTS said thank you

#17 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 09:27 AM

Probably why it pays so much as no one wants to go there!  I looked up Goldcorp, heck some of their operations are more than a 100 miles from a town BY AIR!

I don't think I'd take that one on...

#18 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 10:19 AM

Mining industry offers exceptional pay. I hauled powder for 15 years. Hauling powder on the winter roads for 6 weeks every year until '90.. It was a nice change to haul in the bush. Usually I would be hauling loads from Quebec to Northwestern Ontario.  Here the road contractor is pulled over to allow me by.  Only those of us hauling powder or fuel were allowed to haul freight on these roads. Road contractor hauled everything else in.

These are real winter roads..not like the ones on TV,,,those clowns would not be allowed on these roads,

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1581.JPG

• KennyP and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#19 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 10:22 AM

Mining jobs of any sort pay way above the average for most jobs.

Sadly if things don't change there won't be any coal jobs left.  If I can convince my wife to move, I may try out salt mining along the great lakes.  Coal and Salt training go hand in hand and the machinery is much the same.

Although maybe we will make it through.  There will be a niche market we may be able to cash in on.

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 09, 2016 - 10:28 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#20 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 01:18 PM

My daughter, her husband and their 3 babies (under 4) moving(flying) from BC to Nova Scotia today to son inlaws new job..its either 5 months or 5 years....