• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 GoTigers16 OFFLINE  

GoTigers16
  • Member No: 79512
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 08:04 PM

Hi folks, I am fairly new to riding mowers. Only past experience is with a very old craftsman that never quite but cut badly. I am looking for a lawn tractor for mowing and hauling only. Budget is around 2k and not that flexible. I have narrowed down the options to Cub Cadet XT LX46 and D130 (lowes). I like them both for different reasons. I like the upgrades on CC including four anti scalp wheels and I like the extra cutting height options on the Deere in the lower deck range. I felt the cub was a little better with the exception of cutting height options. The height selection on the CC didn't feel nearly as good as the JD. I will be cutting the front yard very low and the back yard a bit higher. The back is fairly uneven but generally flat. Total yard around 1/2 acre.

I also considered craftsman pro 20440 and husqvarna YTH24. Husky ruled out because lack of selection highs and wasn't to high in craftsman bc our Sears is closing soon.

I would really appreciate any feedback or thoughts!
  • 637Yeoman said thank you

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 08:13 PM

Welcome to GTtalk.  I think what you will hear is a lot of members will tell you to go older on your tractor selection.  But I think that would depend on your mechanical abilities and also how much time you would have to devote to working on an older tractor.  One thing to keep in mind all tractors require TLC.

I'm kind of partial to Craftsman.  I have two and they are both work horses for what they were designed to do.  But I'm sure you will hear about other tractors that are favorites.

• boyscout862, chieffan, 637Yeoman and 1 other said thanks

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 08:18 PM

I have a Deere L130, maybe the D130 is about same??  Been fine for many years. I thought I might want to try a Husqvarna for the next one, but was little bigger one with more HP and deck and features, more money that 2G.  Toro Wheelhorse are nice if you buy a later used one, they have modern features, hydro, and cut well. Biggest you can get for money, even when used is best bet.

• chieffan said thank you

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 08:26 PM

My suggestion is to check the older garden tractors out too. Some nice machines can be had for less than 2 grand.

Something to consider.

The older cubs are great. 70s era.
  • chieffan, 637Yeoman and GoTigers16 have said thanks

#5 GoTigers16 OFFLINE  

GoTigers16
  • Member No: 79512
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 08:29 PM

I have some mechanical skills but no time really. I was a bit concerned with consumer reports brand reliability ratings for Cub Cadet.

#6 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 08:34 PM

Welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with any of the machines you mentioned, so I can't offer you any advice on them. I do have about the same amount of lawn as you do. I am currently using a 10hp, 1971 Bolens with a 38" deck for mowing. I have a lot of obstacles to mow around and some hilly spots so the small deck is ideal for me. I can get it all cut in about 3 hours.

Jim

Edited by CanadianHobbyFarmer, January 07, 2016 - 08:37 PM.

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 08:38 PM

Sounds like your concerned about cutting height.  They will all scalp or cut higher, but more important is the capacity of the deck.  A shallow 2" deck will not have the capacity needed to cut your lawn if the weather don't let you cut it every few days.  A 5" deep deck makes all the difference in the world when it come to mowing heavy grass.  The numbers are not actual but used for comparison only.  A shallow deck will require more power to mow with also. 

tomanytoys84 is dead on with his suggestion.  Better look around and drive by the big box store stuff.  They are pretty to look at and that is about as far as it goes.

• GoTigers16 said thank you

#8 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 09:13 PM

I have some mechanical skills but no time really. I was a bit concerned with consumer reports brand reliability ratings for Cub Cadet.

Don't worry about consumer reports on cub. Read about MTD. Many many of the new tractors are all made by mtd with different labels and sheet metal on them. This includes the cub cadet.

John Deere is one of the few that are still made by their own company. But imo the box store John Deere are cheaper versions of the real thing. Maybe others can confirm or debunk that thought.

Cub cadet name was sold to mtd in the 80s.

This is all my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions.

2,000 dollars is going to get you a box store tractor with some fancy sheet metal and some cool buzz words. Anti scalp wheels, 52 position deck, cup holder, ect. A correctly designed tractor doesn't need anti scalp wheels hung all over the deck. Tractors scalp because the frame is weak and twist during turning.

A good friend of mine thought I was some kind of tractor snob. He scoffed at my love of old cubs and john deere tractors.

He was in your position a few years ago. He went to home depot and bought a cub. Within 2 summers it was broken beyond easy repair. The deck was trashed(the spindle mount ripped off the deck). The hydrostatic was leaking. He threw 2 grand down the toilet. So he went and bought a craftsman. 2 years later about the same story but not as bad. Every time he took it out there was some broken part. This year he bought a John Deere from Lowes and its made it one summer so far with only 2 small issues.

What I am saying is explore your options and if you are set on buying new go to the John Deere dealer or kubota($$) and see what's out there. You may spend more money but you will get a much nicer and more reliable unit. Plus buying at a dealer you get dealer support on warranty and parts.

Another friend of mine bought a new kubota and its a very nice machine. Eveb I love it!

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 07, 2016 - 09:16 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#9 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 09:53 PM

I'm going to throw in my vote for getting a good older tractor. This last summer my cousin asked if I could look at his tractor and possibly fix it. He has a newer Wheel Horse That would take some serious tear down time and parts to fix. His yard was over grown and about two foot high. He said his one neighbor came over with his new Cub Cadet, went in six feet and stopped. His other neighbor came over with a new John Deere from a box store and did pretty much the same thing. I brought my 1978 JD 316 over with a 48" deck and mowed the whole thing in about a hour and a half. Yes I had to half lap it and cut it once with deck all the way up and then again with the deck lower, but I had no issues with the tractor the entire time. Modern stuff is built with disposability in mind. For 2k you can find a good older tractor that with some TLC will last you decades, as the many you see here can attest.

Edited by Leonard VanCamp, January 07, 2016 - 10:14 PM.

• Cvans, propane1 and Paulgo have said thanks

#10 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 10:12 PM

I too would reccomend going with an older machine as well.  Me, I am partial to Cub Cadet but any of the older machines are good and reliable.  For your budget you can easily buy an older machine in better than average working order.  In fact you may be able to find an already restored older tractor for that money ready to roll.

I would say if you are set on one of the two above that you mentioned that you find a regular servicing dealer in your area and skip Lowes and the other box stores.  Most of the box stores like Lowes send their mowers to a regular servicing dealer for work anyway.

• zippy1 and propane1 have said thanks

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 10:18 PM

Go to the classifieds section and check out the restored Cub Cadet for sale for $1,000. Get the mower deck and you will have a machine that will be the envy of the neighborhood.
  • Bolens 1000 and Paulgo have said thanks

#12 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 10:22 PM

http://gardentractor...-central-penna/

#13 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 859 Thanks
  • 491 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 10:32 PM

There was a debate about this not long ago.  I think when the dust settled the consensus was that for tractors in your price range Deere is the only one that manufactures their own.  The others are all names licensed to American Yard Products or MTD.  Some felt that the Deere in the box store didn't have the same quality or ruggedness of the tractors in a store with a Deere sign out front.

I know I was a bit disappointed in 1998 when I paid top dollar for a Craftsman lawn tractor and shortly after realized I could by the exact same tractor, painted a different color, at the big box for about half what I paid Sears.

I think it's safe to say that for $2000 you'll be fortunate if your tractor gives you five years good service without a major repair.

If it's got to be new and the budget is firm I'd be inclined toward the Deere.  Hopefully the folks that build tractors for a living are a little better at it than appliance companies that make mowers as a sideline.

• Cvans, Leonard VanCamp and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#14 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 11:26 PM

IMG_0877.JPG For two large, you can have an awesome restored garden tractor often with implements included. I've seen so many box store lawnmowers for sale for parts because their not worth having fixed. Cat's example of the cub cadet would be a fine choice . I'm sure there are examples in your own area on CL of the like. I run a 1964 simplicity unrestored for cutting, plowing snow and hauling firewood I paid 500.00 for it four years ago.

• Bolens 1000, Bolens800uk and Paulgo have said thanks

#15 framesteer OFFLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 331 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 11:30 PM

If you only have a 1/2 acre to mow and are concerned about scalping, the D130 with 42" mower would be a better choice than the CC (MTD).  You should be done mowing in about 45 minutes.