• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WHdbJD ONLINE  

WHdbJD

• Member No: 8367
  • 584 Thanks
  • 456 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 07:34 PM

Found a  1984 JD 430 with the yanmar diesel.  It has 1800+ hours.

This figures out to approx. 58 yearly hours. Not much per year, but

is 1800 hrs high for a yanmar?  How many hours is normal for a

31 year old diesel engine?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 07:39 PM

That is low hours, but typical yearly average for average homeowners.  These engines can run 5,000 hours or even way more without issues if cared for.

• WHdbJD and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,646 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 08:33 PM

I'll try to remember to check the hours on my JD 430 tomorrow.  I also have a Yanmar m16hp diesel (3TN66) I repowered a Massey 1655 with, and a pair of JD935's with 22hp Yanmar diesels.  .  

#4 WHdbJD ONLINE  

WHdbJD

• Member No: 8367
  • 584 Thanks
  • 456 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for the reply.  Don't know much about the diesel garden tractors, never owned one.

I've been watching for sale ads and it seemed like many for sale were 1500 to 1800 hours.

I thought there might be a reason people were unloading them before they hit 2000.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 09:24 AM

A lot depends on maintenance. Most water cooled diesels seem to be able to go 5000hrs + if cared for. Just look at the ads for used farm tractors. Lots of them for sale with mid 4 digit readings on the meter. I've also seen a Kubota compact tractor with serious engine problems at 700 hrs because the oil was never changed. The owner believed you never have to change the oil, only ad oil when it gets low?????

The transmission will also last a long time if maintained. 

I would look at the condition of the entire tractor and attachments. That will give you an idea of the maintenance practices of past owner(s). 

Yanmars are very good engines. They are used extensively in marine applications where reliability is of extreme importance. 

• WHdbJD said thank you

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 09:39 AM

For comparison, a JD 430 in the Minneapolis area with the 60" deck is usually $3,000 and up. Throw in attachments and the price skyrockets. If you look on the Minneapolis CL for 'John Deere 430' you will find some very high priced units.

I would be equally concerned with the condition of everything else as well as the engine. I would give the 430 a workout testing it out. Check to make sure all the gauges and lights work. Bring the voltage tester and make sure all the glow plugs work. Find a hill and test the hydro in forward and reverse to see how well it holds a speed up an incline. Cycle the hydraulic levers to make sure they're not froze up. Check for leaks, wear on the front end, the front axle pivot, etc.
  • WHdbJD said thank you