5 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,493 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 08:19 PM

Was working on the Bolens 850 this afternoon getting close to starting it.  Checked for spark and none.  Started to check with the meter and found power back to the coil.  The wire from the coil to the points was shorted.  Wire alone was OK.  Removed the copper tie bar, points were open and all OK on that part.  Checked the stud and it was shorted.  Removed the stud and found no centering collar on the bottom insulator.  Nothing to keep the stud fro shorting out.  Found nothing in my parts drawer that would work.  Checked the "O" ring box and found one that would fit in the cast hole and snug around the stud.  Put 3 over the stud and put it back together.  Now have spark.  With a little luck I should get it out of the shop, put the front blade on and it is ready for a new home.  May not be OEM but bet it will last just as long.

• Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862, MyBolens1053 and 1 other said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 08:44 PM

Great fix, I have done the same thing before. I also use a small piece of plastic from any bottle to make sure the wire doesn't mash down and ground out.
  • MyBolens1053, chieffan and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 08:10 AM

Sounds like your making progress, are you saying the little square nylon block is missing in the points box?

• MyBolens1053 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 07:19 PM

Sounds like your making progress, are you saying the little square nylon block is missing in the points box?

That's what it sounded like to me. Are those still available new or is used the only option? I have one that's needs replaced but didn't want to steal it from another one of my engines.

Edited by farmerall, January 07, 2016 - 07:20 PM.

• MyBolens1053 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 07:52 PM

That's what it sounded like to me. Are those still available new or is used the only option? I have one that's needs replaced but didn't want to steal it from another one of my engines.

Wisconsin still supplies them and they are still common enough for me to carry them :thumbs:

• MyBolens1053, chieffan and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,493 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 08:59 PM

The square nylon block was there, as was the round one on the outside bottom.  The bottom one should have had the centering collar but it was smooth.  Looked like it was filed off at one time.  Nothing to hold the stud centered in the hole.  The inside block had the square hole for the stud.  Used the "O" rings to hold the stud in the center of the hole.  Not OEM but it will work and no waiting for parts.  I have another 8 hp that I could have robbed too but want to keep that one together also.  No progress today as was on the road  to get knees and hips X-Rayed.  Hopefully tomorrow.  Thanks much guys.