12 replies to this topic

#1 JiminRI OFFLINE  

JiminRI
  • Member No: 62914
  • 65 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 07:49 PM

Hi guys,

I just saw a local ad for a Craftsman GT 3000 (917.275011) with 48 inch mower - 6 speed (3 high, 3 low). Owner claims it runs well and is in good shape for its age - about 12 years old. It has a 23 HP Kohler Pro V-Twin. He also says it has only been used for mowing - no other attachments available.
Any advice on problems to check for (either tractor or engine) when I look at it this weekend?
What is it worth?

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by JiminRI, January 06, 2016 - 09:57 PM.

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#2 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 07:54 PM

Have had my Craftsman since new in 97. Only thing I had to do other than routine maintenance was change a couple spindle bearings. Same gear drive tranny. Mine is a 20 hp 50" deck. Wouldn't trade mine for a thing (well within reason that is)
  • Alc, JiminRI, 637Yeoman and 1 other said thanks

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 03:24 AM

Good tractor.The rear in them isn't as stout as the older Suburbans and the steering gears and bushings wear out fairly fast.Not sure but I think those have the Nylon steering column bushing.They wear out and the gear gets chewed up.Easy to fix though.

I would own one.

• Alc, KennyP and JiminRI have said thanks

#4 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,222 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 04:59 AM

Bought and sold one over the summer, seemed like an ok machine, steering gears are an issue as eric pointed out and it was a bit of a pain to fix but otherwise it was a good solid machine.

Pete

• JiminRI said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 05:18 AM

The steering is the weak point on the newer tractors. Not sure how strong the rear is.

• JiminRI said thank you

#6 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,512 Thanks
  • 3,393 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 12:07 PM

The Hydro models hold up to bucket and hitch work, haven't had a manual transmission version. I had a GT 5000 which is basically the same tractor, and an older Wizard, that was an AYP built unit, both had steering issues and the spindles don't like a big load, but the tractors are worth the trouble in my opinion.

• JiminRI said thank you

#7 joe from ny OFFLINE  

joe from ny
  • Member No: 69076
  • 5 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 01:55 PM

What is the price?

#8 JiminRI OFFLINE  

JiminRI
  • 65 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 07:54 PM

Thanks, guys! Good advice on the steering. Not too surprising - I have an LT 1000 about the same age for mowing that my son gave me when my SS-16 was in need of parts some years ago - steering is one of its weakest points - along with the front axle (stamped steel, replaced last year), flimsy mower (replaced this year), and mower lift mechanism (replaced each side at least twice so far). The GT 3000 would be a replacement for the LT 1000. I have a snow thrower on my SS-16 and I'd like to have a plow on the GT 3000 for lesser snow storms, but its primary use would be for mowing, pulling a grass sweeper and pulling an aerator. The asking price is now $650 firm, was $700. Owner says it has only been used for mowing - so it should be in good condition if basic maintenance has been done faithfully. I couldn't get out to see it this weekend, but plan to see it next weekend.

Additional advice/opinions welcomed.

Jim

#9 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,512 Thanks
  • 3,393 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 08:22 PM

You asked for more advice, don't pay more than $500 in excellent condition.
  • JiminRI said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 08:33 PM

Not to be sounding harsh, but its the wrong time of the year to be on the high end of the scale and "firm"
  • JiminRI said thank you

#11 JiminRI OFFLINE  

JiminRI
  • 65 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 07:39 PM

I had the same thoughts regarding price and time of year. I researched prices over the last couple of months and targeted $500 to $550 - which I let the owner know so we aren't both wasting time (his asking price was $700 originally). I might have gone $50 to $75 higher if it really looks like it has only been used for mowing, but his response was $650 firm. I think he may be selling it for his parents - it is at his parents house about twenty miles from where he lives. At this point I think I'll let him stew and see if he contacts me.

There is another one that also includes a plow, chains and wheel weights, but it is 50 miles further away and I'd have to rent a truck to get it because I don't have a truck or trailer available, so that would probably cost another $100 minimum so I've been trying to stay local.

Thanks again,

Jim

#12 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 09:03 PM

If it is a lower hour machine $650 isn't that bad.Cheaper than buying a newer machine with a light duty transaxle and one of the newer Kohler courage engines in it for $1600-$2000+.

Since there isn't an hour meter on them you till have to go over it and look for wear.Inspect the deck,deck lift and steering components and look for wear.It will give you an idea if it's well used or lightly used,well cared for or used and abused.

Looked them up and they were $2200-$2600 new.

My cub cadet HDS 2165 with 46" deck showed 1662 hours on it but I'm sure that the key was left in the ON position a several times.It more than likely had between 600-800 hours on it.Steering was a little loose in the tie rod ends and the valve covers both needed to be replaced but other than that it was a strong runner.Mower deck was in great condition.I payed $450 for it and sold it for $600 a couple years later with a New PTO switch and relay,new deck belt,battery,valve cover gaskets,fresh fluids,filters,4 new tie rod ends and a good bath and wax.

Person that bought it is still very happy with it.He's my neighbor and uses it weekly.I told him when he bought it to keep it clean and keep up with maintenance on it and it will last him many many years.

• olcowhand and JiminRI have said thanks

#13 70sgreatestrockbands@gmail OFFLINE  

70sgreatestrockbands@gmail
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 79744
  • 7 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 10:47 AM

Hi guys,

I just saw a local ad for a Craftsman GT 3000 (917.275011) with 48 inch mower - 6 speed (3 high, 3 low). Owner claims it runs well and is in good shape for its age - about 12 years old. It has a 23 HP Kohler Pro V-Twin. He also says it has only been used for mowing - no other attachments available.
Any advice on problems to check for (either tractor or engine) when I look at it this weekend?
What is it worth?

Thanks,

Jim

Well, I know my 87 has problems with the choke, starter, and mower deck, and I've heard a lot about those areas going bad. Those areas probably should be checked. 

• JiminRI said thank you