15 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 03:25 PM

Bought my Out of state WV hunting license and hitting the freshly stocked trout at Curtisville lake tonight!  It's about darn time!

Hopefully have some pictures to post.  This year no fishing through the ice!

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 03:36 PM

Good luck, nothing like fresh caught fish for dinner!!

• hamman, boyscout862, Chopperhed and 2 others have said thanks

#3 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 04:03 PM

There's 18-20" of ice over my favourite fishing spot, so I'll be out there soon. Walleye, perch, burbot and Jack ( read Great Northern Pike) for the taking. Pike get a bad rap up here, are called everything from "snake" to "slough shark". Little ones, under two feet long are "hammer handles". No respect!
  • hamman, KennyP, Jack and 4 others have said thanks

#4 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 04:14 PM

There's 18-20" of ice over my favourite fishing spot, so I'll be out there soon. Walleye, perch, burbot and Jack ( read Great Northern Pike) for the taking. Pike get a bad rap up here, are called everything from "snake" to "slough shark". Little ones, under two feet long are "hammer handles". No respect!

At least you can still fish for Walleye, they are pretty much fished out here. It's even hard to catch Perch nowdays. I've always liked fishing for pike, nothing else gets as big around here. There's nothing like staring down a 4 foot fish with lots of very sharp teeth.

As for respect. Ducks, Muskrats, small beavers, and smaller fish are all tasty treats for a big Pike. And be careful about tangling your toes off the pier at night.

Edited by Chopperhed, January 06, 2016 - 04:15 PM.

• Alc, hamman, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 04:22 PM

Bought my Out of state WV hunting license and hitting the freshly stocked trout at Curtisville lake tonight!  It's about darn time!

Hopefully have some pictures to post.  This year no fishing through the ice!

Hunting license to go after trout?

• hamman, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 04:27 PM

The reason a lot of people don't like the Pike is the small Y bones.  If they know how to fillet them, no problem.  If they don't still no problem.  Grind the meat up Y bones and all, 1/2 as much ground potatoes as meat, 1/2 as much ground onions as potatoes.  Mix it all together and make a nice sized patty.  Fry in a pan with a good 1/2" of oil.  2 slices of buttered bread and you have one of the best sandwiches you could ever ask for.  Can to the same with Carp or Buffalo.

• hamman, KennyP, tiretrx and 4 others have said thanks

#7 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 04:44 PM

The Y bones can be a pain for sure, but I do know how to fillet them. In my book the best way to eat a Jack is smoked over punky poplar or birch. Nothing beats catching those big guys, summer or winter, but I usually let them go again. It can be a real challenge getting a 27 lb. fish turned under the ice and then out of an 8" hole, but it can be done, lol. That's a good recipe for fish patties too. I generally add an egg or two to help hold it all together and season with lemon pepper. Yumee!
  • hamman, KennyP, tiretrx and 6 others have said thanks

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 06:04 PM

Meant fishing license. But anyway. One grout was caught not by me. Didn't stay very long. About an hour. I had a couple hits but missed out
  • oldedeeres, Chopperhed, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#9 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 06:35 PM

Oopsie

Edited by Chopperhed, January 06, 2016 - 06:37 PM.

• chieffan said thank you

#10 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 06:37 PM

The reason a lot of people don't like the Pike is the small Y bones.  If they know how to fillet them, no problem.  If they don't still no problem.  Grind the meat up Y bones and all, 1/2 as much ground potatoes as meat, 1/2 as much ground onions as potatoes.  Mix it all together and make a nice sized patty.  Fry in a pan with a good 1/2" of oil.  2 slices of buttered bread and you have one of the best sandwiches you could ever ask for.  Can to the same with Carp or Buffalo.

Mom would have adored you, she was the biggest fan of pike I ever knew.
And I wish could pass on the recipe.
I'm also a big fan of Buffalo too.

Edited by Chopperhed, January 06, 2016 - 06:44 PM.

#11 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 08:49 PM

Hopefully i'll be out on the ice soon. It got cold then started warmin up. Sposed to be mid 10's this next week. Heres hopin

#12 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,102 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 09:10 PM

What ice, none here yet. No smelt shacks out yet, or for a long time. If they ever go out, have to be off the ice by the middle of March here. Short season. Use to be, shacks were out by now years ago.

Noel

Edited by propane1, January 06, 2016 - 09:11 PM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#13 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 10:43 PM

Chopperhed, ever use live duck for bait for those big muskies? Might be tough hitting the target when casting it out there. Probably need to add some weight, but not enough to make it sink. I don't think a duck walking around the bottom of a lake would look all that natural to a muskie. Would take some trial and error to get it right I think.

#14 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 12:43 AM

This sounds like a fishing story, but------- I have seen big Jacks taking "flapper" ducklings off the water, and when I was a kid in Kenora Ont. a big muskie washed up on shore with the remains of a baby white tail fawn stuck in its throat. I don't think it was a hoax, the whole stinking mess was pretty putrid and we found it out on an island in the lake, not where someone would have left it if they were looking for publicity. Aggressive Jacks and muskie are nothing to fool with.

#15 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 12:44 AM

freshly stocked trout at Curtisville lake tonight!  It's about darn time!

Rub it in. You'd need a jack hammer to fish any of the lakes around here. I prefer fishing soft water myself. And Northern Pike, not in my boat. Those slime rockets don't come in my boat unless there is not other way to get them off the hook.  :(

• oldedeeres said thank you