#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 08:54 PM

I get Rural King farmstores emails with offers. Now show a Blue Max saw with 18 and 14" blades. Only $119 til Wed. Think be Chinese junk? Not sure how to look at better ad. Says on line only. Says more power than other brands. I use saws rarely, yet my old Poulan is acting up. Think this one would work. What think?
  • 637Yeoman said thank you

#2 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 08:57 PM

Never heard of them. But if you use them rarely and its cheap i would buy it

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 09:27 PM

You have to be careful as most of the Chinese stuff is designed to only last 50 hours.  Some of it actually says so right on the engine.  After 50 hours they lose compression.  I had a Craftsman hand held blower a couple of years ago.  Loved that thing but, after two seasons, it was shot.  Now I use the blower a lot so I believe the 50 hours thing.  I use my saw so much it's not funny.  Everything I have now is or will be Stihl.  The last piece of the puzzle for me is a weed whacker.  That will come this spring.  For an occasional use saw I guess anything would do.  I don't know the nature of your usage but maybe a little electric one would fit your need?  Echo still seems to make a decent product though not like they were 20 years ago.  My present weed whacker is an Echo which I purchased 5 or 6 years ago.  It gets a lot of use but it hasn't been without it's issues which is why it's getting replaced.

• MH81, Cvans and HDWildBill have said thanks

#4 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 09:38 PM

Buy a used husqvarna or stihl pro saw they last forever have parts support and are not even comparable to box store junk! I use a saw nearly every week and have never had to pull my husky more than once to start. Also once you use a pro saw you will never look back I bet my dad to a cutting competition he had a box store mccolough and I had a comparable in size husky, I had lunch and my first three beers by the time he finished his pile! Forgot to mention he cut the limbs and I stuck to the trunk, felt sorry for him.
  • MH81 said thank you

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 09:39 PM

No electrics for me. Poulan still works, 30 yrs old, little use.

#6 jhn9840 ONLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 126 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 10:27 PM

I was considering buying one of these from Rural King myself as a back up to my Echo CS-310. Never heard of Blue Max before so I was googling around and found this review. Never hurts to look around some.

https://www.chainsaw...able-gas-power/

jhn9840
John
  • MH81, drbish and Traill95 have said thanks

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,651 Thanks
  • 6,469 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 10:54 PM

Says made in Huntington, IN, 'Waahhh?  That's where I live. NOW, after looking at the above link, questions asked and answered. I believe this company is the same one that imports tools and sells out of trucks all over country. Homiers or HDC. Some brands listed in the article are thiers, I'm familiar with. Probly just another one of there many re-newing company names out of the same building. AND, that article recommends a couple other saws about same price that he believes are better and better company's.  Poulan was one of them, hmmmm!  Also recommended Stihl or Husky's as better buy if wanted to go higher in prices and get a more backed machine. SO, email is gone now, won't be getting this saw, will see what comes up some other time. Was fun looking into it anyway. Thanks for the links, good job.

• MH81, grnspot110 and Alc have said thanks

#8 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 11:40 AM

I got those same ads, didn't tempt me at all. I have a Tanaka that is approaching 40years old and everything else (3) are Stihl and Echo. All run strong and function well for what they are intended to do. Felling, chunking, limbing (on the ground vs in the air) are all different projects.

When your life may depend on it get the "right tool" for the job and the BEST you can afford (which maybe a used Pro model).  Then maintain it and you'll never consider those throw-a-ways...

Another note: Size it to what you need done (most of these type of ads are for blades bigger than the saw should handle) which is just a recipe for poor performance and potential disaster  :(

#9 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 11:58 AM

For me it's been all luck on chain saws.  I've had old huskys and stihls, they were ok for a while, then piss me off.  Carbs go out of adjustment, I couldn't get it right, shop couldn't get it right, etc.  Around 12 years ago I picked up a 1989 Jonsered made in sweden, low use (guy broke the pull cord), cleaned the carb (reused original gaskets), best saw i ever owned.  50 bucks, i got lucky.  aluminum tank so won't break if you drop it.  parts on ebay, etc.  Just don't remove the diaphragm or it won't work right unless you have a nos replacement.  mine is still original, starts easy and rips

my buddy bought a new stihl aroud 5 years ago, don't know where it was made but the carb was from china.  Cost him around 400 bucks.  thing never started right, sometimes took him 10 minutes of frustration.  dealer wouldn't take it back.

off brand saws are probably disposable after 5-10 years, even just sitting around.  probably the new china parts "name brands" too.  i'd look for a good old one... cheap... not "collectible" ...and parts still available.  good luck

#10 Bolens QT-17 OFFLINE  

Bolens QT-17
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77823
  • 119 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 01:12 PM

I just myself a Poulan chainsaw for Christmas and it runs like a champ.

#11 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 04:43 PM

I've got a freebie Poulan 18" that needs a choke lever and fuel lines, Parts would cost around 20 bucks with shipping, might get around to it one day. Since I rarely need a saw I have a 14" Homelite electric that does everything I need.

When I get around to ordering the parts for the poulan, I can also order parts for the two weed eaters Ive got here.

#12 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 05:15 PM

I have a Poulan "Pro" series and it runs great. Not as much power as a Stihl or a good Husquvarna, but I cut about 2 or 3 cords a year with it for the past 4 years. For what firewood costs, it paid for itself after the first cord. Just a word of caution though, Husquavarna is now making a budget line with a plastic crankcase, you might as well buy the Poulan and save a few bucks.

Jim

• HDWildBill said thank you