Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 12:04 PM

For the last two years I run a nearly new Kubota that same size in the fall picking up leaves for the widow of a very dear friend.  The belly deck raise lever is the same as the three point lift lever.  3pt operates first.  When the 3pt is all the way up, the deck then raises.     Seems very akward to me but it works.  I think you are supposed to pin the deck in the up position if you want to run 3pt equipment and if you are running the deck mowing there is usually nothing on the 3pt so the 3pt just goes up and down each time.   ????

Footnote:

I run the deck wile pulling a Cyclone vacuum.  The tractor doesn't have a drawbar so there is a makeshift drawbar hooked to the 3pt arms.  Much like an old 9N Ford.  This makes the Cyclone tongue raise way up when I need to raise the deck but I can't very well pin the deck up when chewing up leaves.   I'm probably supposed to lock the 3pt so it stays put but I don't know how on her tractor. 

Edited by Gtractor, January 06, 2016 - 12:16 PM.

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#17 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,162 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 03:54 PM

I would pull the pan on that and look at the sleeves first thing, if it had coolant in the oil. They are the weak part especially if it's the D600 as it could have pressed sleeves or not, the "not" being a bad thing... This means boring of block to install press fit sleeves.
Also pull valve cover to be sure it's not a cracked head.. They had head issues if over heated bad. Do the valve cover first in my book.
  • Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#18 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,162 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 07:07 PM

Chief, if you do remove the rocker cover, when putting it back on, be very careful fighting the nuts on the cover, as it is very easy to crack it. So be sure to torque it properly , its only 2.9-4.3 ft-lbs.
  • Sawdust, chieffan and Doug E. have said thanks

#19 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 08:10 PM

That other shade is to dark for my taste.  Never did care for those with the off set steering wheel.  Made good combines though.  All crop harvester.

I haven't figured out how to date this brand yet.  Going to have to do some sole searching for that I think.  Will let you know what I find.

Thanks. Allis chalmers made a fine machine.

• chieffan said thank you

#20 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 08:47 PM

The engine is this one is a D250A.  Serial # 06126.  Last number is real hard to read, especially backwards and up side down so could possibly be an 8.  With 1250 hours it is hard to tell what all has happened to the tractor.  I think the PO took decent care of it as he said he had it in the shop for service in 2012.  When I get it in the shop I might just pull that valve cover and see what it looks like under there.  From what I could see through the oil fill it looked good and clean so that is a plus.  Diesel didn't wash out any crud that I could see so another plus.  Radiator was drained when he found the water in the oil.  The tractor had been parked for a few month prior to it freezing so I don't think there would be any problem with coolant getting in the inserts, etc..  Just came through the crack into the oil

Kris your right on that control lever operating both the 3 point and then the deck.  There is a chin that can be hooked to hold the 3 point up, and is recommended when using 3 point equipment and traveling on the road.  I can left the arm so may hook them up and then do some jacking on the deck with lever in the raise position.

skyridr2, I take it that cover is plastic.  Need to get me a clicker torque wrench as my pointer type is about 40 years old and won't go that low.  Will just snug them down and quit.  Thanks for all the info on this tractor.  I have a ton or more to learn on it for sure.

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 05:44 AM

Chief, if you do remove the rocker cover, when putting it back on, be very careful fighting the nuts on the cover, as it is very easy to crack it. So be sure to torque it properly , its only 2.9-4.3 ft-lbs.

Get an inch/lb. torque wrench. The above would be 35 to 50 inch lbs.

• skyrydr2 and chieffan have said thanks

#22 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,162 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 07:59 AM

Thanks Kenny, chief, the cover is cast aluminum and really easy to crack.... Don't ask....
  • KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#23 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 08:22 AM

Will be in Menard's today and will see what they have for torque wrenches.  When I was the tractor I washed the engine off too.  Did not see any place where any oil, etc. could be leaking, not even around the fill cap which is usually a d good spillage place.  A stop at the farm & home to pick up the oil and antifreeze.  Will get the filters O'Reilly Auto Parts.  Talking some real cold temps moving in about Saturday so probably won't be in the shop.  Heater on diesel runs all the time and to much fumes for me.  Kerosene is $4.75 a gallon so  opted for the diesel.  Thanks for the tip on that valve cover.  Have seen several aluminum once cracked on cars over the years.

#24 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 08:12 AM

Prognosis is looking good.  Have ran the tractor with light load a few times and no load, just up the road and back.  I notice when it has sat for a few days, when it first starts up it has black smoke, then a little bit of white smoke then nothing.  Fluid levels are staying the same, oil and coolant.  I am wondering now if it is a head gasket that is leaking a tiny bit of coolant into a combustion chamber thus causing the white smoke?  If that was happening the coolant level would go down some.  It has stayed at the bottom of the neck for several weeks now.  Maybe the bit of white smoke is normal.  My first diesel so have a lot of learning.  Ran it yesterday with the deck on for about 20 min. grinding up little dead twigs from the poplar trees.  Everything work fine.  Any thoughts on this ? ?

• Sawdust said thank you

#25 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 09:04 AM

My Kubota puts out a little black smoke at start up as well but it goes away quickly. Almost all of the Kubota engines at work do the same. Might need to run it hard for a longer time to get it warm enough to move some coolant through a crack or gasket.

#26 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 09:10 AM

Our large farm tractor diesels go to white smoke when injectors need servicing.  If ran longer though, even those will stop the white smoke.  You may just try some high quality cleaner in the fuel.   

• Cvans and Sawdust have said thanks

#27 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,410 Thanks
  • 3,162 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 09:16 AM

That sounds pretty normal for start up. Time to give a little work out and get it hot . and if you are not able to do this then it should be just fine for what your using it for.
  • Cvans said thank you

#28 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 11:57 AM

It might be pertinent at this time to re-torque the head bolts and adjust the valves. This used to be common years ago and now people have gotten away from it. I have found that this is still a good idea. 

Generally on a diesel if you have any head gasket leakage into the cooling jacket not long after starting you will build pressure in the cooling system and start pushing water out the overflow or radiator cap. 

• olcowhand said thank you

#29 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 04:56 PM

I would want to do a pressure test of the cooling system. You can rent the kit to do this at any of the major auto parts places like Advance Auto/Autozone.   Getting any water/antifreeze in the oil is toxic to the bearings and a quick way to kill an otherwise good engine. If anything, take that oil in it now that you have run for a bit, and take a sample in to any major semi truck repair shop and get an oil analyisis done to see if any cooling water/antifreeze is getting in the oil.  Mike

• Cvans said thank you