28 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 05:43 PM

I bought this a couple weeks ago knowing that it had a crack in the block, so the price was right.  Brought it home this afternoon by way of the car wash.  37° so figured it was the best chance I would have to find what was under 2 years of inside dirt and dust.  Tires were still about half up and looked good.  B7100 HST with a 52" deck.  Deck had been rebuilt with all new bearings 3 years ago.  Tractor has not run for 2 years.  Radiator drain was open.  Oil had antifreeze in it.  Drained about a quart of antifreeze before the oil started to emerge.   Left a pan under it for the night.  Will flush out as much as I can with diesel fuel.  Fuel tank was 3/4 full, looked and smelled good but will drain that and use it for starting the fireplace.  Overall the tractor don't look bad at all.

RF-1.JPG    Right Side.JPG    Rear.JPG

LF.JPG   Dash Panel.JPG    Hour Meter.JPG

The deck is lowered.  What is a good way to raise the deck for mobility clearance as the engine is not in running condition as yet.  Would like to raise and chain or block it up some how.

• daytime dave, Gtractor, JD DANNELS and 6 others have said thanks

#2 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 05:47 PM

Could you run a couple of ratchet straps up to the ROPS or is it not strong enough.

• chieffan said thank you

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 06:49 PM

If it has a transmission pto, if you turn the pto shaft some how it may turn the pump and raise the deck, with the lever in the up position. This is how it does it on my 51 ferguson tractor. If the ferguson quits, which it won't, I can turn the pto by hand , what ever, and it will lift the attachment up. Just a idea, know nothing about kubotas.

Nice looking tractor. Great deal I'm sure. Hope fully it will fix up easy.

Noel

Or turn on pto and turn engine with starter??

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 08:29 PM

If it has a transmission pto, if you turn the pto shaft some how it may turn the pump and raise the deck, with the lever in the up position. This is how it does it on my 51 ferguson tractor. If the ferguson quits, which it won't, I can turn the pto by hand , what ever, and it will lift the attachment up. Just a idea, know nothing about kubotas.

Nice looking tractor. Great deal I'm sure. Hope fully it will fix up easy.

Noel

Or turn on pto and turn engine with starter??

This is a hydro so would think it has the lift pump built in with the hydro.  PTO is 2 speed.  Lift lever is separate from the PTO lever.  If the hydraulics pump is with the hydro I doubt if the starter would turn it fast enough to do any lifting.  Never had a tractor with a center mount mower that used the hydraulic lift to raise and lower it.  3 point, fast hitch, front blade yes.

Thanks on the tractor.  I have my fingers crossed that I can get the crack sealed with a quality stop leak.  I have 2 or three suggestions on brands to use.  Going to start with filling the radiator with the oil drain out and see what happens.  If no water runs out I have a 50/50 chance.  Will keep you posted.

Thanks for the suggestions on getting the deck up.  UncleWillie, that is a good idea but afraid the ROPS is back to far.  Will give that a good look at though.  Also found out this tractor has the new style hydro.

• propane1 said thank you

#5 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 08:43 PM

Not my favorite shade of orange....

But i would buy it! :thumbs:

What year?

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 08:56 PM

Nice looking outfit. Be waiting to see how you do with the stop leak. 

Best of luck!

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 09:11 PM

On gt's I hold open valve to up position, lift on 3pt by hand or floor jack. When up, release valve and it stays. Not sure if simple enuf method.

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 10:10 PM

Not my favorite shade of orange....

But i would buy it! :thumbs:

What year?

That other shade is to dark for my taste.  Never did care for those with the off set steering wheel.  Made good combines though.  All crop harvester.

I haven't figured out how to date this brand yet.  Going to have to do some sole searching for that I think.  Will let you know what I find.

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#9 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 10:48 PM

If it's had coolant in the oil for 2 years without being ran I would pull the oil pan off that engine and pull at least one rod cap and look at things before going too far.  If the journals have had water on them for 2 years they could very well have rust on them already.  I say this because when the Cummins in our Kenworth had a liner that cavitated through it  rusted the journals pretty good between when it mixed the oil and coolant and when we got the rebuild started and it was just 2 weeks.  Just a suggestion.  Good luck with it, it looks like a nice find.

Edited by IHCubGuy, January 05, 2016 - 10:52 PM.

• Alc, Cvans and chieffan have said thanks

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 12:00 AM

Nice looking machine. Hope it does not take much to fix it ,I am sure you will like it.

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 08:11 AM

If it's had coolant in the oil for 2 years without being ran I would pull the oil pan off that engine and pull at least one rod cap and look at things before going too far.  If the journals have had water on them for 2 years they could very well have rust on them already.  I say this because when the Cummins in our Kenworth had a liner that cavitated through it  rusted the journals pretty good between when it mixed the oil and coolant and when we got the rebuild started and it was just 2 weeks.  Just a suggestion.  Good luck with it, it looks like a nice find.

Might not be a bad idea.  Want to see first if water will come out the oil drain just sitting.  If it does, the crack is probably to big to do much with.  A little seepage over a few days would be different.  If I don't get any water (I say water but it will be an antifreeze solution) I my pull the pan and a cap.  The antifreeze that drained out had a good strong color to it.  2 years ago we had a bitterly cold winter where sewer and water lines were froze up all over so that is probably the reason it froze up.  Had it been run occasionally and warmed up good it probably wold not have happened.  Will play it by ear, one step at a time and see what happens.  Going to flush it good this morning then put it in the shed for a while.  Talking nasty weather for the next 3 days and don't have room in the shop - yet.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Tractor Date has it listed as a 1979 but I think it is a lot newer than that?

Edited by chieffan, January 06, 2016 - 08:27 AM.

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#12 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 09:44 AM

Just tryed my JD140. It's hydro. While cranking the engine, without it starting, it will lift the thrower up. Just a thought.

Noel

#13 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 11:15 AM

Poured a quart of diesel in the oil fill.  Has pan under the oil drain and caught most of it.  Wanted to run back under the drain hole and down.  diesel came out nice and red with no dark discoloring.  Oil must have all drained out during the night.  Didn't mess with lifting the deck yet.  Haven't found the right lever to operate  that lift yet.  Has levers for everything else.  Wouldn't think it would be the same as the 3 point.  More manual time.

• propane1 said thank you

#14 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 11:31 AM

Could be 3 point lever, some garden tractors work that way. You have to block the cylinder so it will send pressure to a different cylinder. I have never had a kubota, so I really don't know. Just another thought.

Noel

#15 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 12:03 PM

I believe the one lever lifts both the mid mount and 3 point arms. At least it is on my tractor.