Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Dog in the rabbit house ( not kid friendly pics)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 09:22 AM

My son went over to out old house yesterday where we still have rabbits housed as he had people coming to buy a pair of our New Zealand's.. As he opened the rabbit shed door, he was greeted with the neighbor's little white terrier, covered in blood and rabbit fur everywhere. He grabbed shovel, but dog managed to get out and ran over to privacy fence and back under hole he had dug. The dog had dug a hole under our fence, then he dug a hole under the rabbit shed and got in. He must've been trying to pull rabbits through bottoms as no cages were open. I think he may have gotten his head inside the door to the two older does and got at them, the door has a spring so he went shut when he got out. Son called me furious and I had to talk him down. Once I got home, we surveyed the rabbits, 2 of the older does had to be put down, they were barely hanging one. The other 6 that were in lower cages had broken toes and fur missing, they looked rough. I think some may have had some torn muscle and/or broken limbs. We ended up having to butcher those 6 last night, not what I had planned for the evening. We waited too long, we had planned to butcher a few for the freezer anyway, but the boy wanted to sell some as breeding stock. A few of them were a little fatty and skin was tough to pull off, but they will cook up well in a slow cooker. I am giving 3 of them to my BIL to put in his smoker, he has become a smoking expert. I guess out of the 6 rabbits, we ended up with 45-50#'s of dressed meat, Yummmm!!!!

I had a little chat with the neighbors, they thought their dog had gotten in our yard and got a mole or squirrel. The told me they did not know we had rabbits and were offering to pay for the ones we lost. I told them I wasn't there for money, but to let them know the situation and next time I catch the dog in the yard ( he's dug under several times), I will call dog warden. If we catch him in the barn, he may get shot which we have the right to do under Ohio revised code regarding livestock. The husband said he raised rabbits/in FFA when he was a teenager and fully understands. We will be moving rest of rabbits shortly anyway so hopefully it will not be an issue again.

Mods, if pics too graphic please remove.

rabbits 2.jpg

rabbits 1.jpg

rabbits.jpg

rabbits 3.jpg

rabbits 4.jpg

• olcowhand, hamman, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,239 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 09:32 AM

Fiesty little dog.

Sad for the rabbits, but hurray for fresh rabbit meat!

• TAHOE and chieffan have said thanks

#3 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 11:19 AM

You should have taken their money, and told authorities, and said next time will be the last.... You have the right!!
But in all fairness to the little nipper, that is his instinct.... We had germanshepards for years.... And chickens..... Bad combo but we did manage to train them to protect the chickens rather than eat them ;-)
  • oldedeeres, TAHOE and chieffan have said thanks

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 11:26 AM

Marty, I feel like a dog's natural instinct is to kill for food.  This dog was killing only for fun.  You should have taken some money for your troubles.  You may ought to file a report with animal control so it's on record at least, so if another neighbor there has an issue, it will be known.  Those rabbits sure are meaty! 

#5 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 608 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 11:30 AM

My friend has bought his neighbor dozens of chickens over the years because his dog killed them, the dog died a few years back so its no longer an issue.

#6 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 12:03 PM

I agree with Daniel that you should file a report with the proper authorities. This way it will be on record that this is an ongoing issue.

#7 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 12:12 PM

We lost chickens to a neighbor dog, got out his own fence then in our yard fence then thru chicken coop wire and killed our little banty rooster, was in the process of atacking my bourbon red tom when I got their. Got to give the Tom credit he was standing his own against a 60lb terrier. Got the dog back home and had the same conversation, offered money and all. Same warning (legal in NY as well) three weeks later I shot it and had to deal with the police.
Neighbor still won't look my way when I go by :-)
Pete
  • oldedeeres, TAHOE and chieffan have said thanks

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 12:28 PM

My wife said I should have made a police report, maybe I should have. I know we will be moving rabbits shortly anyway so I wasn't too worried about him coming back. The neighbor wife said she was going to drop a check in our mail box if we didn't give her a price so they may pay anyway. I wasn't super worried about it, most were going into the freezer eventually, just figured I would do it when it wasn't 25* outside and the boy was wanting to sell some as breeders first. My son was pretty angry, he even told me that dog was lucky he ran out before he got a hold of the shovel. I told neighbors we had the right to shoot him if he came back, hope it doesn't come to that. While we were out butchering, the husband was loading firewood up around base of fence. I have 4x4 at he base all around the fence cause my dogs used to dig. That was the only section not with a 4x4 cause I used to have a pile of firewood there, that little jerk found a hole.

I have been on both "sides of the fence" to say. We almost lost sheep to the neighbor's German shepherds when I was younger. I also had to go to court and pay my dues when my Akita got out and was running the neighborhood. I can be angry in one instance, but sympathize with neighbors on the other.

I know it's in the nature for terriers to dig and hunt out prey, but for a well fed dog, he wasn't looking for food. You are right Daniel, he was in it for the sport. My shed just has a 2x4 along the bottom connected to some posts then the siding, just a lean two type thing, but he had to dig under it to get to them, just didn't stumble across the door step. My son said he was bloodier than those two in the pic above. 

Daniel, my son, kept looking at them  "Look at the meat on those legs"  HAHA They were actually to big for butchering, some had too much fat, but hey, crock pot will take care of them. I think the largest one was pushing 10#'s dressed out. :thumbs:

• Cvans and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 Bolens QT-17 OFFLINE  

Bolens QT-17
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77823
  • 119 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 01:26 PM

My sister had a kitten once and my dog and it were doing ok, so we put it with the dog in my barn but soon after my dog killed it. I guess the old dog doesn't like anything in her territory.

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,609 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 02:26 PM

I had the exact same thing happen once. Only I got two dogs cornered in the building and called the warden. He got ahold of the owner who had to pay. He sure couldn't understand why purebred Angora rabbits were so expensive. Oh well!
  • oldedeeres and TAHOE have said thanks

#11 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 05:53 PM

At least you have good neighbors who realize that the damage their animals cause is their responsibility and they are willing to do something about it. I have a neighbor that had a German shepherd that liked to sit out in the road. We live on a busy road with 50mph speed limit. His place is at the bottom of a hill, right after a curve. The road was covered in skid marks and you could constantly hear horns blowing with people trying to get the stupid thing to move. It also liked to come across and down the road to my place (never killed anything) but I chased it out every time I saw it. One day it took off when it saw me , went out around a patch of bush on the edge of my place, then I heard tires squealing and then the bang.Two minutes later the dog was at his own front door scratching and howling wanting in and I had an upset driver at my door wanting to know if I owned a German shepherd. I pointed out my beagles in their dog run where they belong and then pointed out the dog he hit. I also pointed out the skid marks in front of the house and told him I was amazed it had taken so long for the dog to get hit. After that the dog was tied when it was outside and about a month later it was gone.

Jim

#12 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,741 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 05:55 PM

Well time for rabbit stew.

We have a great Pyrenees/German shepherd/ wolf who is hard headed and a Boxer/ bloodhound who is too smart for her own good. They thought the chickens made excellent toys. I caught them in the pen one day after they had killed 6 chickens. I beat them with my belt.  About 4 days later I looked out the kitchen window and found the Pyre back in the pen with a chicken in his mouth. I went out there and beat him with my fist. And I mean beat him. It hurt me so I know it hurt him. I know it was cruel but he had to learn to leave them alone.

Right now there is a chicken in the dog pen. He won't even look at it. 

• oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 06:03 PM

I've heard to tie dead animal to dog's neck for a few days. After the dead smell for a day or two, they supposedly will never touch another one.

#14 warrior120 OFFLINE  

warrior120
  • Member No: 77709
  • 56 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 06:57 PM

I'm sorry to about that I hope your dog warden is better than the one here in Logan.

#15 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,741 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 07:41 PM

I've heard to tie dead animal to dog's neck for a few days. After the dead smell for a day or two, they supposedly will never touch another one.

Not sure that would have worked with mine.