• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dennfen OFFLINE  

dennfen
  • Member No: 79422
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 09:50 PM

Picked this up last weekend. The large cast iron pully says Quick Mfging Springfield 2140. The engine is a Clinton. The serial number is 2070807 B and the model is B761AOG. The hp is wore off. I rubbed a lead pencil on it  to pickup some type of impression but came up with nothing. 

I have more projects than i can handle and looking to find this a good home. Would appreciate any information and a fair value. You can't tell from pictures but there is a crack in the housing on the small pulley shaft. 

Thanks

Dennis

17327.jpeg 17331.jpeg 17334.jpeg 20160104_213334 (1).jpg

• Traill95, holdenboy1960 and chieffan have said thanks

#2 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 10:49 PM

you found a Springfield, made during the 50's. They don't bring very much, I got my last 2 for $25 each.   The engine has about 1 1/2-2 hp.

• HDWildBill and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 12:08 AM

:welcometogttalk:  :wave:

Sad to admitt but I don't recall exactly what I paid for mine.   Think it was $17.50.  Decent shape and has always been shedded with virtually no weather checking on the tires.

I live less than 40 miles from the largest amish settlement west of the Mississippi River and that creates somewhat of a demand for walk behinds that other parts of the country might not see.

I do remember very vividly the first yank of the rope when the lil Clinton sprang to life like it was going to explode!  Thank goodness I kept my witts and yanked the plug wire quick saving the engine.  Once the air filter was removed I could see the problem.  The throttle butterfly had worked loose and it was sucking air/fuel at wide open even though the governor was telling it to idle down.  With 2 new screws reattaching the butterfly to the throttle shaft, the engine ran beautifully.  Those old Clintons were one heck of a good engine.

I can only assume the original two little brass screws went through the engine.  That why they are soft brass!

Edited by Gtractor, January 05, 2016 - 12:23 AM.

• Lauber1, LilysDad, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 08:32 AM

Those little screws will digest fairly well as long as they don't get under a valve head.

• Gtractor and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#5 Bud W ONLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 10:22 AM

You should peen those screws a little to keep them from vibrating loose.

• Gtractor and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 05:44 PM

You should peen those screws a little to keep them from vibrating loose.

accurately they are from the factory, but   some times people take things apart the don't relies how it was put together the first time. Ive seen a lot of engines that swallowed tiny carb parts and lived to tell about it.

• Gtractor said thank you

#7 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 05:56 PM

:welcometogttalk:  :wave:

Sad to admitt but I don't recall exactly what I paid for mine.   Think it was $17.50.  Decent shape and has always been shedded with virtually no weather checking on the tires.

I live less than 40 miles from the largest amish settlement west of the Mississippi River and that creates somewhat of a demand for walk behinds that other parts of the country might not see.

I do remember very vividly the first yank of the rope when the lil Clinton sprang to life like it was going to explode!  Thank goodness I kept my witts and yanked the plug wire quick saving the engine.  Once the air filter was removed I could see the problem.  The throttle butterfly had worked loose and it was sucking air/fuel at wide open even though the governor was telling it to idle down.  With 2 new screws reattaching the butterfly to the throttle shaft, the engine ran beautifully.  Those old Clintons were one heck of a good engine.

I can only assume the original two little brass screws went through the engine.  That why they are soft brass!

wow 17.50 is about bargain basement for anything running. I figure the tires are worth the $25 I spent on mine, and one set went to a Bolens. Theres two kinds of these tractors. One is red with yellow wheels and the other is green with yellow wheel . I used to know the model # for them. My Red one runs great and has one of the 700 series Clintons on it. that thing idles so slow you can hardly hear it run. I have several different attachments for it and the green one, which has a stuck 8R6 briggs on it. If the engine wasn't stuck and if it wasn't so hard to find a good 6-1 motor, I'd have it going again too. heres about the only picture I have of the RED model, and its evil brush cutter. Don't have one for the Green model.

stans show 035.JPG

• DougT, Clifford Bridgford and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#8 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 07:04 PM

wow 17.50 is about bargain basement for anything running. I figure the tires are worth the $25 I spent on mine, and one set went to a Bolens. Theres two kinds of these tractors. One is red with yellow wheels and the other is green with yellow wheel . I used to know the model # for them. My Red one runs great and has one of the 700 series Clintons on it. that thing idles so slow you can hardly hear it run. I have several different attachments for it and the green one, which has a stuck 8R6 briggs on it. If the engine wasn't stuck and if it wasn't so hard to find a good 6-1 motor, I'd have it going again too. heres about the only picture I have of the RED model, and its evil brush cutter. Don't have one for the Green model.

attachicon.gifstans show 035.JPG

Her you can find  a good 6r6 or 8r6 pretty easily for aroudn 15-20 bucks.

I bought a planet jr Bp-1 With fenominal original paint and stickers with new tires and a good running 8r6 for 50$

• Lauber1 said thank you

#9 dennfen OFFLINE  

dennfen
  • Member No: 79422
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 07:26 PM

Thanks all for the information. Any web sites where i could pick up parts?

#10 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 08:36 AM

:welcometogttalk: