21 replies to this topic

#1 Marty'70 ONLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 09:34 PM

Hey guys I was wondering if any of you use a lift of some sort for your GT's? I mean you all know these things are kinda close to the ground and some of you are more than a little older than me and its not as easy to get up and down anymore. I was in a bad car accident last year and messed my knee up pretty badly. Since then I can't squat. It's down on one knee and other leg out to the side or sitting on the ground while trying to work on something. Soooo I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has fabbed up a lift or ramps or whatever. I was thinking of something like this only on a smaller scalehttp://www.strongman...ssor lifts.html
Anyhow, give me some ideas.
  • hamman, KennyP, Traill95 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 09:43 PM

yeah, I know about the one knee out behind ya thing... ever since I shattered my kneecap  (1990) I have been favoring my right knee

I healed better when I was 20 something than I do at 40-something...

and yeah too to a lift, for doing car work I have a 2 post one in my garage at home... Since I have a lift at work, I don't know why I've had to work off the ground at home all these years, I found a deal on CL a few years ago I could not pass up. 

I was thinking of making something just a little more sophisticated than laying a 4'X8' sheet of plywood across the lift arms for GT work...

• Marty'70 said thank you

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 09:48 PM

that Clinton Scissor lift in the link, would lend itself well to working on GTs..

I saw the title of the link and the "strongman" wasn't what I thought it would be. I was trying to move a portable battery powered  lift called a strongman at the time I screwed up my knee. It is like an overgrown pallet jack you'd see in the aisle at a grocery store, but with a bank of batteries in the base. With this Strongman you could lift a car waist high and roll it around. 
there was no car on it when I hurt myself with that one though. (long story for later)

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 09:49 PM

I had a thread some time back of a "surgery table"  for GT's.  built out of left over lumber, ramps and electric winch, removable center planks.  will see if I can find it and post it here.

• Alc, KennyP, dodge trucker and 2 others have said thanks

#5 Marty'70 ONLINE  

Marty'70

• 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 09:51 PM

Now that I think of it I was thinking about the used car lot ramp thing. When empty they make a ramp, but after you drive up so far the ramps over center and lower down level. Maybe just making them about a foot or so would be enough. Maybe weld u a frame out of 1" square tubing with expanded metal tread..

After thought-- may take up a lot of space when not in use

Edited by Marty'70, January 04, 2016 - 09:53 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#6 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,576 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 09:56 PM

Here is what we use.

http://gardentractor...otorcycle-lift/

• Alc, dodge trucker, bbuckler and 1 other said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 10:07 PM

In the Bolens Tractor Forum Search for    Operating Table done    and you should come up with what I built. 
Real inexpensive, sturdy and works out great so far on several tractors.

• dodge trucker and Marty'70 have said thanks

#8 Marty'70 ONLINE  

Marty'70

• 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 10:08 PM

Here is what we use.

http://gardentractor...otorcycle-lift/

Nice! Simple and small. HF has it on sale right on the front page of their website. Now to find some money.... Ha-ha thanks for the info.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#9 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,576 Thanks
  • 919 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 10:10 PM

Nice! Simple and small. HF has it on sale right on the front page of their website. Now to find some money.... Ha-ha thanks for the info.

That is where this one was bought. I have my page tractor on it right now.

#10 Marty'70 ONLINE  

Marty'70

• 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 10:22 PM

In the Bolens Tractor Forum Search for    Operating Table done    and you should come up with what I built. 
Real inexpensive, sturdy and works out great so far on several tractors.

Just read the whole thing. Makes me think that 30" is a nice height. Would be able to stand and still reach everything. I was thinking of a foot or so but now I'm thinking a little higher.
  • Alc, boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#11 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 122 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 10:44 PM

There's many on youtube, mainly homemade ones. I get many ideas on how to make things there.
  • Alc and Marty'70 have said thanks

#12 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 07:03 AM

Here is what me & pop built from a industrial lift. It was hydraulic but we converted to air using a air bag from a big truck tag/pusher axle.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20141129_132245.jpg
  • IMG_20141129_132259.jpg

• Alc, KennyP and Marty'70 have said thanks

#13 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 07:51 AM

I find a moving blanket on the floor and dumping all my tools within reach suffices until i see something I really like. The only problem with the motorcycle lifts is you are still trying to get underneath only the platform is raised. Definitely a improvement but I would like to be able to go under tractor..also best to be sitting on a stump to work at motorcycle lift instead of being bent over.

We have use car ramps made of wood,,,no pic but consider making 2 car ramps 8' long in 3 sections so once the tractor is on the ramp you can remove centre section and access the underside of tractor. Obviously it won't get 30" off the ground unless you add length to ramps. My friend who had these stacked ramp against wall outside when not in use..Built from 2"x10"s

this is slick

• limebuzz and Marty'70 have said thanks

#14 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 670 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 07:52 AM

Oh come on...,you haven't lived until you have rolled around on a gravel driveway working on a garden tractor in a t shirt and shorts.

Just kidding. A lift is a darn good idea.
  • Alc, KC9KAS and Marty'70 have said thanks

#15 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 08:28 AM

Just read the whole thing. Makes me think that 30" is a nice height. Would be able to stand and still reach everything. I was thinking of a foot or so but now I'm thinking a little higher.

My thought was any lower and i would be bending over all the time.  Also would make it hard to get under it.  With one knee due for replacement I wanted to keep getting up and down at a minimum.  Just about everything can be reached by standing on the floor.  Just mounted the regulator and starter relay in an 850 under the battery tray and had to get on the table for that.  Had an 850 1476 on it with no problems.  Good luck with you lift project.