• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 678 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 07:26 PM

Hello I was wondering if anyone knows the weight of a Groundskeeper cab with the doors off? Also how do you go about lifting it off? I am having trouble lifting it high enough to clear the steering column, my pulley hooked to the barn rafters will not allow it to lift high enough. Would two people be able to lift it and get it over the steering column? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  • MyBolens1053 and chieffan have said thanks

#2 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 03:32 PM

The GK manual section on the cab is not very specific, but it seems to imply that the cab should be tipped towards the back of the tractor to get it off, not lifted straight up.

#3 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 678 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 06:40 PM

I read that in the manual but it seems that even with the engine lid up the clearance may be an issue.

#4 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 07:28 PM

If you are trying to do this by yourself, have you considered unbolting the engine cover and removing it to get it out of the way? I did taken a cab off my parts tractor to sell it to Sam's Bolens, but the tractor was outside, and with the doors off, the two of us were able to get the cab off without too much drama.

#5 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 678 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 01:19 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, its just me and the misses out here in the woods and she's five foot flat and 98 lbs soakin wet! But we will give it a go, she can surprise me sometimes. The bigger issue is me, I tore all the ligaments in both shoulders and have over eighty percent damage to both rotator cuffs from a fall off a helo in the Navy! We will make do and I appreciate the help.

#6 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 678 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 10:50 PM

Rigged up some military cargo straps to a block and tackle and screwed a j bolt into a high 2x8 roof joist. Now I have the room to lift but will have to give it a go tomorrow as I am a bit gassed tonight! The wife says she will help to guide it so now the only question is to tie it to the three wheeler or go it cave man style. Let ya know how it turns out tomorrow!
  • MyBolens1053, chieffan and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#7 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 10:59 PM

Be safe! :)

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 08:06 AM

Several years ago I bought an old overhead wagon hoist at an auction for $5.  This is they type with the A frame side legs and a double angle iron across the top between the two legs.  Bolted a short chain together and hook the chain hoist in that.  Sitting right in front of the shop door outside.  Not sure it would be high enough for what you need but for $5 I would not be without it.  Use it to lift anything heavy I can get a chain on or a bar through.LF.JPG   Not the best photo but you can see it in the background behind the trailer at the shop door.  It is a good 10' from ground to the cross iron on top.

Edited by chieffan, January 07, 2016 - 08:08 AM.

• LPBolens, KennyP, Eric and 1 other said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, groundskeeper, cab