Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Pickers came today for a visit - possible purchase.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,065 Thanks
  • 788 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 05:55 AM

A low ball is ok,But c'mon! be within reason.When its to low you make yourself look like one of them.And then bickering over a 20? or lets flip for it? LOW LIFE ROYAL is more like it. I'll let it rot first.

• boyscout862 and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#17 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 07:33 AM

A few months ago, there was a Case 222 on CL, no price. It was nearby, in a town that I had recently picked up two good items. I called and talked to the guy. He told me that it ran but had other problems. I asked what he wanted for it and he gave a high price and said that the engine alone was worth that. I told him that it was way out of my league but keep my number if he decided to drop down abunch.

Several weeks later, he called and asked what I would pay. I told him $200 was the most that I could pay but it would be cash and I would take it at his convenience. He told me to come over. It ran but did have condition problems. I said that I would go the $200. He told me that the info he had gotten was bad and that most people were very rude. I pointed out that behavior reflects the type of person that they are. I was taught good manners, was an Eagle Scout and an Army Vet, and that I will not lower myself to the level of most people now days. He agreed and revealed that he made Eagle the year before me. We had a nice talk but he had to go a meeting.

The tractor needed a good cleaning, servicing, a new seat and mount, steering wheel, brake band, and new wheel bearings. I haven't fix it all yet but am using it to haul my big trailer. I'd say that courtesey pays and you will have fewer regrets. I also think that the values of broken GTs will in general drop as fewer people can repair them. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, January 06, 2016 - 07:35 AM.

• olcowhand, daytime dave, Gtractor and 1 other said thanks

#18 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 08:34 AM

When I found that the pickers show was staged, I haven't watched it since.  

Rick, I think what you say is very true.  Treat people as you would like to be treated.  You gave an honest appraisal of what you would pay and after viewing the item, decided it was worth it.  It sounds like he was very similar to you.  I also agree that fewer people will be repairing GT's and other similar things in the future.

I like to say "if nice guys finish last, there's awfully good company at the back of the line."

Besides, you are both Eagles............................................... :smilewink:

• Gtractor, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#19 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 09:04 AM

We're mixing apples and oranges here. I'm always nice to people when I make an offer, if it's below what the asking price is, I say something like, "Don't be offended, this is just all I can afford to pay, if you can't take my offer, I understand."

But that has nothing to do with a buyer making an offer and it's being accepted by the seller, regardless of value, that's free enterprise. Nobody makes the seller accept a low ball price. Then if the buyer makes a ton of money, great! That's money that gets cycled through the economy and is good for all. Sorry, I just introduced grapefruits to the apples and oranges! :D

• Gtractor and propane1 have said thanks

#20 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 05:52 AM

I don't get offended by people who offer lowball pricing. I am well within my rights to decline and counter if I so desire.

I am a little less forgiving with people who cruise around "looking for donations of bottles and dead batteries" for pocket money and then expect to follow me through all my outbuildings scoping it out/casing the joint.

I know several "antique enthusiasts" who roam the countryside with binoculars searching for old equipment, etc. I've had a couple cold callers who have seen apparently unused stuff from the road come by and make offers of cash for such and such, too.

I really got annoyed by people who run around "salvaging" (read stealing) from abandoned buildings. They know all the loopholes and have the bluster to talk their way out if caught...... Even if the cops are called, it might take hours to get a response to a "burglary" of an abandoned house in the country. It is illegal for the landowner to forcibly detain too.... Sigh....
  • Gtractor, boyscout862, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#21 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 08:52 AM

I don't get offended by people who offer lowball pricing. I am well within my rights to decline and counter if I so desire.

I am a little less forgiving with people who cruise around "looking for donations of bottles and dead batteries" for pocket money and then expect to follow me through all my outbuildings scoping it out/casing the joint.

I know several "antique enthusiasts" who roam the countryside with binoculars searching for old equipment, etc. I've had a couple cold callers who have seen apparently unused stuff from the road come by and make offers of cash for such and such, too.

I really got annoyed by people who run around "salvaging" (read stealing) from abandoned buildings. They know all the loopholes and have the bluster to talk their way out if caught...... Even if the cops are called, it might take hours to get a response to a "burglary" of an abandoned house in the country. It is illegal for the landowner to forcibly detain too.... Sigh....

I'm with you, no pity for thieves!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#22 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 09:25 PM

We had that happen when we were in the process of cleaning out the camp. We caught a guy digging through the barns one night. He wasn't real happy when two guys with guns appeared behind him and asked him why he was trespassing. He stammered a lot and we told him to get out of there and not come back.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#23 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 09:55 AM

Possibly some added signage is required on your property... :thumbs:

s-l225.jpg

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#24 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 10:57 AM

About 50 years ago a friend had a thief in his barn at night. Fred didn't want to walk all the way out to the barn so he sent a 30.06 throught the loft. The person with the flashlight tore out of there fast. Fred realized his mistake the next day hen he had to patch the roof. 20 years later, another neighbor saw someone near his barn at night. He stuck his 5.56mm out the window and fired into the air towards a big forrest. Immediately the figure near the barn is yelling " don't shoot Sid, I'm just looking for my dog, he likes to come over here."  Because the tellers were laughing so hard when they told me about the incidents, they've stuck with me all these years. Good Luck, Rick

• Gtractor said thank you

#25 pick-to-stone OFFLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• Member No: 76550
  • 254 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 12:38 PM

Possibly some added signage is required on your property... :thumbs:
s-l225.jpg

ya that what i would put up

#26 Mtypython ONLINE  

Mtypython
  • Member No: 80530
  • 259 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted February 21, 2016 - 08:50 AM

I will usually try to pay low if not and i want it bad enough i will see if it it can be held for another week or so to come up with the rest of the cash, most of the time its a go. I dont like when people will say make an offer with out me looking at it .
  • Gtractor said thank you

#27 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 414 Thanks
  • 180 posts

Posted August 24, 2016 - 09:25 AM

I'd say we are all guilty of throwing out a low ball. I've seen many posts of some super buys on machines worth 5 times what someone paid.

I've thrown out some low balls and snagged super deals. My dual sport bike is a good example. It books for 2900 dollars and I threw out an offer little more than half that and he said sold after thinking on it. I told him when I made the offer. I know what it's worth and its more than I am offering but I am willing to pay this if you want the cash really bad. The guy with that bike told me he wanted the cash for a down payment on a car.

I get offended at a low offer. We all do, if it's done in a rude manner. But I've accepted low offers on many things.

My post I made a few months ago on hating people calling from craigslist offering me a price much lower than my 4 Wheeler was worth. But they were down right rude about. When I counter offered they would argue that their offer was more than it was worth. That's rude.

Thats like when I bought my bike just a few weeks ago,My new neighbor needed the money to make the payment on his harley,He started out wanting $1200 for the 82 honda gl 1100 wing which was plenty cheap at that price,(normally fetch about $2200 to $2600 around here in that condition)I just looked it over and carried on the conversation.I was interested but there was no way the check book was gonna do that right now,soon he talked himself down to $600 and he really needed it gone ,I still made no offer because I was shocked he went that low to begin with.The next thing I know he says $400,,,,,,,,,,Wow,Now the red flags are flying,,, Is the title good?Checked out good ,He is the owner and no liens and the name on the title matches his drivers liscence.,Starter is bad but everything else looks and works as it should,,,,,,,,Runs good,,,,,,Well what the heck,If its shot or something I can sell it for parts at that price so I buy it and have now put quite a few happy miles on it,,,,Funny part is I never made an offer,Not one ,He talked himself down to $400 in 20 mins,,,,Go figure.I have since had a friend of mine who knows what I paid for it offer me $1500 for it ,,,,Nope I like riding it to much!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 0731161846.jpg
  • 0731161845a.jpg

Edited by Reed Breneman, August 24, 2016 - 09:28 AM.

• Gtractor and MH81 have said thanks