Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Pickers came today for a visit - possible purchase.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 04:51 PM

Or so he thinks!

Not American Pickers but a guy that does the same thing. 

He bought an old vehicle just down the road about two miles and had it on his trailer.  I recognized the vehicle.  Interested in some of my junk.  I heard his ad on a local radio stations trader program a few weeks back. Seems he calls radio programs all over the country looking for stuff and offers a finder fee.  He lives many hours from here.  His trailer has no lights whatsoever and a flat tire.  Seems less than organized and very much in a hurry. 

Some red flags are flying!  I get to asking him some questions.....

He tells me his profession - its not old vehicles.  Doesn't say a word about fixing them up, collecting, or playing with them.   No mention of what he has in his "collection".   Just looking for certain items.  

Now he was nice to me and I was nice to him.  Mama raised me right.  I even aired up his trailer tire that he didn't know was flat in the first place.

While here he showed interest in a few of my vehicles.  The one he really wanted I was pretty sure wasn't for sale but I said I'd entertain an offer. 

He threw out an offer of about half of what it was worth.   I call  :bs:  

If I'd been more with it I'd have asked which half he wanted. :mad2:

I don't get mad about it, but just like the Pickers TV show, why on earth would I sell something at half the value so someone else can double their money?

I am perfectly capable of selling things myself.    :firejumper:

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, MH81 and 16 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 05:00 PM

Some people watch the TV show and think, "Hay, I can do that and make a bunch of $$$".  Next thing they call themselves pickers.  Have you ever talked to anyone you know that has had the "Pickers" at their place?  Do you actually believe they can travel from Eastern Iowa to the East coast and back with a furnished van, buying stuff and still make money?  Figure what that trip cost them in gas, motels, meals, etc. and how much they can haul in that van.  Personally I really doubt it but it is still a good TV show.

• Gtractor, TomLGT195, Little Irish Men and 1 other said thanks

#3 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,211 Thanks
  • 5,217 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 05:05 PM

Some people watch the TV show and think, "Hay, I can do that and make a bunch of $$$".  Next thing they call themselves pickers.  Have you ever talked to anyone you know that has had the "Pickers" at their place?  Do you actually believe they can travel from Eastern Iowa to the East coast and back with a furnished van, buying stuff and still make money?  Figure what that trip cost them in gas, motels, meals, etc. and how much they can haul in that van.  Personally I really doubt it but it is still a good TV show.

My uncles friend had the american pickers show up at his place he is a big bike collector. They just walked into his building out of no were then he chased them out with his .38 so I was told. 

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, propane1 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 05:43 PM

I think the only way you can really justify selling to pickers is if you need to clean out asap and sell all at once, Half the shows are of peoples family getting left the collection and they have no idea what they have so they sell just to get it off their hands, The guys like us who collect stuff know what things go for and have ways of selling to the right people , we dont need pickers :D

• TheFarm2004, Gtractor, wvbuzzmaster and 4 others have said thanks

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,201 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 06:29 PM

Gotta watch those people, checking out your place, then be back when not home. You know what I mean. Pickers or not, or what ever you want to call them !!!!

Noel
  • Bolens 1000, Gtractor, grnspot110 and 3 others have said thanks

#6 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 06:34 PM

I like to call them vultures, always waiting to take advantage of someone who may or may not be in the best of their faculties. Anyone who is willing to take advantage of people who are in a bad situation should be taken to a special place. In today's society there are to many people looking to profit off of others, and make a quick buck! It is a shame that the country has fallen so far from where we used to work hard for a living and be proud to call ourselves blue collar. I pride myself in being a mechanic but so many say why don't you go to college and make something of yourself, I say I already have and that is called a man what do you call yourself? An educated desk jockey, that's not my idea of what made this place great in the beginning! Sorry about the rant! Eric.
  • Bolens 1000, rustyoldjunk, Gtractor and 9 others have said thanks

#7 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 06:35 PM

Gotta watch those people, checking out your place, then be back when not home. You know what I mean. Pickers or not, or what ever you want to call them !!!!

Noel

I was thinking the exact same thing.  Choosing one thing they are supposedly interested in as a rouse to scout out other things they can "pick" at a later time when you aren't around.

• Gtractor, MH81, grnspot110 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 07:29 PM

I don't care to sell to a picker.... As long as I get what I had back out of the item.

Last year I sold Ben a pile of David Bradley walk behinds at wholesale price in today's market. The three reasons I sold to Ben:
1) Not going to be scraped
2) multiples left at once
3) the current wholesale price today is higher that the retail price I paid 10 years ago.

I have a phrase I say that applies to any situation. "If someone else is going to make money off of me, I rather is be someone I know and trust, than someone else." It's why I buy auto parts from a local proprietor. He always deals me straight and goes the extra mile if needed.
  • Bolens 1000, daytime dave, Gtractor and 6 others have said thanks

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 09:23 PM

My brother and his wife like to cruise around the state on his HD Heritage Classic.
So they took off and went up to their store, planning to take a whole day going through the shop.
He said he saw everything they had in less than an hour. He was very disappointed and unimpressed.
  • Gtractor and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,788 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 01:45 AM

I like to call them vultures, always waiting to take advantage of someone who may or may not be in the best of their faculties. Anyone who is willing to take advantage of people who are in a bad situation should be taken to a special place. In today's society there are to many people looking to profit off of others, and make a quick buck! It is a shame that the country has fallen so far from where we used to work hard for a living and be proud to call ourselves blue collar. I pride myself in being a mechanic but so many say why don't you go to college and make something of yourself, I say I already have and that is called a man what do you call yourself? An educated desk jockey, that's not my idea of what made this place great in the beginning! Sorry about the rant! Eric.

We have always had vultures(I like that term). Business leaders, politicians, Wall Street, and salesmen have always had more than their share of greedy people. Our legal system(it is not a justice system) is: laws written by lawyers, interrpretted by lawyers, with the primary purpose of providing income for lawyers. More marginal behavior is evident now days because the fear of punishment is so much less.

As far as school goes: I am a Civil Engineer with 2 college degrees and a PE license. On construction jobs where everyone was union, I made a $1 per hour less than the CAT365 operators and they got time and a half and had better retirement. I was allowed longer breaks and my work was less monotinous. College does not gaurantee a better income and it is much better to enjoy what you do. Good Luck, Rick

• HANKG, karl and Eric have said thanks

#11 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,046 Thanks
  • 778 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 06:21 AM

Picker and shyster, They Ryme. They under value everything to make money.I have no use for them.

• boyscout862, propane1 and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#12 Little Irish Men ONLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 09:31 AM

It is sad that those two are on  t.v  . Showing how to rip people off . I Said some time back that show is just wrong ,  but that's enough from me

before I get in to more trouble.

Patrick.

• Gtractor and boyscout862 have said thanks

#13 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,501 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 06:59 PM

I don't see it as nessacarily wrong, if a picker or whatever they call themselves, makes an offer, the person accepts, how is that wrong? If he goes on to make 500% profit, good for him. He made an offer and the seller accepted, that's called free enterprise. If the person took too little for his item, his fault, he should have studied the market first.
  • Bolens 1000, Gtractor and farmerall have said thanks

#14 Little Irish Men ONLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 07:34 PM

O K . yes  IF  a decent , reassemble offer is made , and then turn around and sell it for a profit , fine free enterprise have at it. BUT when they beat down the price,  And say  " it not worth that much "   When you , we , us  . fine a "good deal " on anything , car , truck , tractor , you jump on it . We all fine deals were Hey they are not ASKING that much? so we don't go i will pay you more for it. Well that's my 2 cents

worth , and no more.

Patrick.

• Gtractor said thank you

#15 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 09:24 PM

I'd say we are all guilty of throwing out a low ball. I've seen many posts of some super buys on machines worth 5 times what someone paid.

I've thrown out some low balls and snagged super deals. My dual sport bike is a good example. It books for 2900 dollars and I threw out an offer little more than half that and he said sold after thinking on it. I told him when I made the offer. I know what it's worth and its more than I am offering but I am willing to pay this if you want the cash really bad. The guy with that bike told me he wanted the cash for a down payment on a car.

I get offended at a low offer. We all do, if it's done in a rude manner. But I've accepted low offers on many things.

My post I made a few months ago on hating people calling from craigslist offering me a price much lower than my 4 Wheeler was worth. But they were down right rude about. When I counter offered they would argue that their offer was more than it was worth. That's rude.