28 replies to this topic

#16 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 10:12 PM

I've got a 532 that runs great but, smokes like a Forrest fire!
Tryed mystery oil in the cylinders, but, on these horizontal engines, it will sit at the bottom of the cylinder and nowhere else.
You should check your crank case oil level before running it again just in case it becomes over filled.

Good luck!

Joe

#17 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 10:47 AM

When I use MMO in a Kohler twin, I follow the directions on the container and add it to the oil and to the fuel.

• blackjackjakexxix and Paulgo have said thanks

#18 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 08:14 PM

I am not familiar with your engine, but I would try reconnecting the PCV valve as it was intended and see if it helps. PCV stands for positive crankcase ventilation. If your crankcase is pressurized it can cause oil to be forced past the rings and out of other places you don't want it to go. In automotive engines it can also cause valve cover gaskets to fail. The Nascar guys actually run an engine driven vacuum pump hooked to the valve covers to ensure that the crankcase is under vacuum.

Jim

• AA Hayes said thank you

#19 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 06:47 AM

Thank you Jim. I will give that a shot also.

#20 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 05:40 PM

Well, I got a new line connected from the pcv to the carb, put some MMO into the new oil and gas, ran the tractor for only about half hour. Seems to have better throttling response running smoother at WOT and also at idle. Sounds to me it should be reving a bit higher at WOT, I would like to get a digital tach and hour meter. Do you guys have any suggestions on that? We are in for some heavy snow fall this week so I will get to put some hours on it, hopefully by the end of the week I see some improvements. I should also point out when I first started it, there was some smoking going on,, that it typically doesn't do, after about 2 or 3 minutes of running the smoked cleared. Hoping that is a good sign for what is to come.

Thanks for all the ideas, also find some great help in this forum.
  • KennyP said thank you

#21 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 06:46 PM

Try Amazon for the tach.

#22 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 09:53 PM

I got some seat time this evening clearing the driveway which takes around 45 to an hour. The motor seems to be running smoother. I am thinking the quick difference I saw is from moving the pcv line to the carb. I am hoping to see some move improvements with the MMO in the oil and gas. I ordered a tach, I think it is running shy of 3600, my guess is around 3200 or so. Should arrive Friday in time for me to hook it up and possibly play with the main needle. Tractor is running smoother at WOT and just as good as awlays which is quite nicely.

Edited by AA Hayes, January 12, 2016 - 09:56 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, Rock farmer and 1 other said thanks

#23 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 14, 2016 - 07:58 PM

I just got another hour of seat time moving a good 18 to 20" dumping we got. The old k532 seems to be holding a more steady rpm at WOT and also dealing with load better. I think it is still running a bit shy of the 3600 rpm. Tach should be here tomorrow. :).

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I'll let you know how some the tach reads and if I do some carb adjustments how that goes. I also have 450lbs of suite case weights coming to me tomorrow I will be changing how the ballist weight works, right now I am running about 300lbs and I do brake loose on the stepper part where I clear out.
  • CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#24 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 07:03 PM

Good to here you got it working for you. Where in Ontario are you? We have been lucky so far, we only have about a foot on the ground and it is supposed to rain tonight. I have only blown snow twice this winter (so far). It seems to be hitting all around us though.

Jim

#25 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 09:25 PM

We are about 20kms east of parry sound. I have had to blow snow 4 times which is much less than normal at this time of year.

Where are you located?

#26 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 10:10 PM

LMAO. I am just outside Coldwater, about 45 minutes south of Parry Sound, just off the 400 extension. I was just up in Sprucedale Wednesday dropping my pigs off at the butcher.

Jim

#27 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 10:28 PM

I know the butcher! They are great to deal with! We are just down the 518 half hour from there near Orrville.

#28 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted January 15, 2016 - 10:41 PM

I drove right past your place then. Twice. And I will be again on the 23rd when I go to pick up the meat.

Jim

#29 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 16, 2016 - 09:52 AM

So I have hooked up the digital tach I got off amazon yesterday. It is made by hardline and had good reviews.
It is only reading 2920, which obviously is much lower than the max 3600 at WOT. The throttle plate is fully opened, what would cause the engine to run at a low rpm like this?
Thanks again everyone.